Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour

forameus

Anyone had a go of this?  I think (not sure though) that it's a PS4 exclusive, and the demo has gone up on the PSN.  Gave it a quick go today, spoilers below for how it was, as I don't want to ruin any surprise for people that still want it unspoiled.

I enjoyed the demo itself, although it was incredibly short.  By looking online, there are a few different routes and endings you can take, so a bit of replay value, but it's a bit frustrating to have it so short, especially given it was pretty effective.  It seems to draw a lot of inspiration from PT, and since that's now dead in the water it's good that someone is doing that.  It's incredibly creepy.  The first person view, the lighting, the sound, everything adds up to one of those brilliant new gen horror games that really takes advantage of the technology.

But, I can't help feeling that it's all a bit meh.  I grew up with Resident Evil 2, and sunk far too many hours into that doing every single one of the four different campaigns, and multiple runs of each as I tried to get the all important S Ranks.  The games got steadily more ridiculous, but the stories were still enjoyable until about RE4.  I didn't play RE6, which was apparently an absolute travesty, but after reading that 7 would return to the roots, it was pretty promising.

It still might, as you can't really tell everything from the teaser, but it seems like they're going down a different route than just a zombie outbreak.  If they make a game in the same mould as this teaser, it'll be a good game, definitely, but I'd still rather they built out a proper story-driven zombie outbreak game.  They've surely still got that in them?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Resident Evil games shouldn't be first person. That's all I have to add.

Another good point.  It works in that teaser, but it just makes it seem like just another horror game, rather than the true Resident Evil.  

The Revelations games were more like modern versions of classic Resi gameplay (especially the first one, on the infected, gothic cruise liner).

They were top class.

They were top class.

Agreed. They also brought back the sense of fear and dread that the original games (1-CV and Remake) had (for their time) that was lost when Resident Evil 4 introduced the shoot-em-up armies of enemies coming at you constantly.

Resident Evil was at its scariest when you were wandering infected corridors in ruined, Gothic buildings and labs, and could never predict when something would shamble or jump out of the shadows. That effect was present in the Revelations games (the second was genuinely scary in a Silent Hill way) but not in the non-stop-action 4*, 5 and 6.

*4 had it a little towards the end, with the enemies you had to shoot in certain areas of their shambling bodies. Whoever remembers their name can have a new penny.

*4 had it a little towards the end, with the enemies you had to shoot in certain areas of their shambling bodies. Whoever remembers their name can have a new penny.

Regenerador.

The noise they made gave me nightmares. Creepy slimy gits.

People have been wanting a return to the scary style of old but not sure if first person is the way to do it though.

Maybe after the negative reactions of 5 and 6 they want a fresh start to get mojo back before returning to older style.

The trend back then was action games, it's now first person horror and that'll peak when VR takes off. Might perhaps be being cynical but I don't think this is Capcom bowing down to the pressure of their hardcore fans, rather just trying to tap into a potential cash cow with a big brand name such as Resident Evil behind it.

Regenerador.

The noise they made gave me nightmares. Creepy slimy gits.

People have been wanting a return to the scary style of old but not sure if first person is the way to do it though.

Maybe after the negative reactions of 5 and 6 they want a fresh start to get mojo back before returning to older style.

Brilliant - ta! IIRC they used to launch themselves at you if you didn't get the last parasite quickly enough. Some of them were covered in needles too. To quote Grampa Simpson, "oh they had designers then."

I'm skeptical about a first-person RE game. I know the series has seen drastic changes in style (e.g between CV and 4), but having your recognisable character moving around has been pretty solid.

Storyline-wise I'm not sure what they should do, as the bioweapons research and exploitation has been pretty played out. The best overall plot they've done belongs to the first game, which I actually think has a better and tighter horror-mystery plot than most (any?) zombie movies I've ever seen - although the voice acting was hilariously terrible. I was surprised to read that the plot was only reluctantly conceived by Shinji Mikami, who originally just wanted a plotless romp through a scary house, actual storylines being deemed unnecessary for VGs back then.

The trend back then was action games, it's now first person horror and that'll peak when VR takes off. Might perhaps be being cynical but I don't think this is Capcom bowing down to the pressure of their hardcore fans, rather just trying to tap into a potential cash cow with a big brand name such as Resident Evil behind it.

Nailed it. I don't think Capcom have much respect for the series and what it stands for, so much as they have a deep love of the money its name brings in.

Resident Evil games shouldn't be first person. That's all I have to add.

Then what should they do? Go back to flying helicopters through buildings and zombie monsters with guns? The franchise needed a big shake up and for the first time since Resi 3 the games actually look scary again. Ive no problem with changing the perspective if it means the game is gonna be better

Then what should they do? Go back to flying helicopters through buildings and zombie monsters with guns? The franchise needed a big shake up and for the first time since Resi 3 the games actually look scary again. Ive no problem with changing the perspective if it means the game is gonna be better

They should build a horror game that doesn't require first person and build a game that is claustrophobic. They don't need to reinvent the wheel. The Revelations series was top notch as was the Remasters of Resi 0 and 1.

It needed a big shake up as they lost focus and the last game was like a mix between Uncharted and Call Of Duty with it not touching on either of those games good points.

Is it so difficult to make a game that utilises new technology and stay faithful to the original 3 plus CV's mechanics? I don't think so in my opinion. If they're changing the mechanics of the game it may as well not be a member of the series and be a stand alone game. There's plenty of great first person horrors such as Outlast, the demo doesn't seem to add anything new to the genre other than an attempt to use a big name to cash in on VR.

I think Resi 4 is an excellent game. I know it wasn't zombies unfortunately and it was more about shooting 'em up rather than surviving but I think it still kept some of the eeriness and jumps that Resi used to do.

As a game in general I think it was brilliant. It was such a big game for being linear. I frequently watch Twitch and every time I watch Resi 4 I see someone playing a big I completely forgot. Such a large game.

As for the new Resi, I can only echo what has been said. It really isn't the Resi way but if it's been done this way so as to break into VR then it could be a scary as hell experience at the very least. I've not had much interest in purchasing VR when it first comes out (my kid being due a month before is obviously a big player!) but the idea of this game being VR has really upped my interest.

Played this demo, thought it was excellent, had me sweating haha! Watched an interview and they said the demo is not what the whole game will be like, it will indeed be like a Res Evil game. 

Cannae wait!

I think Resi 4 is an excellent game. I know it wasn't zombies unfortunately and it was more about shooting 'em up rather than surviving but I think it still kept some of the eeriness and jumps that Resi used to do.

As a game in general I think it was brilliant. It was such a big game for being linear. I frequently watch Twitch and every time I watch Resi 4 I see someone playing a big I completely forgot. Such a large game.

As for the new Resi, I can only echo what has been said. It really isn't the Resi way but if it's been done this way so as to break into VR then it could be a scary as hell experience at the very least. I've not had much interest in purchasing VR when it first comes out (my kid being due a month before is obviously a big player!) but the idea of this game being VR has really upped my interest.

A VR resi game with the proper old zombies and creatures, very little ammo, like The Last of Us on hard lack of ammo, enemys that can 1 hit kill you and stealth elements like Alien Isolation would be fucking immense.

Now that i think about it i think everyones biggest problem with Resi 4 was that they removed the zombies, in hindsight they could have made that aiming system work with the old zombies is if headshots were essential for a kill, the zombies would reanimate and get back up if you only used body shots.

Archived