Call me insane but I can see a big change coming

mcginn12

It is down to our beliefs as a national team and the way we view ourselves as to how we progress as a nation.

Scotland needs a bit of love but until we find a way to work together and connect together for the good

of the game, things won't change.

The best topic of what I have seen is this - http://www.thefootballlife.co.uk/post/86426396656/the-death-of-scottish-football

Basically I believe we have not died, we have literally been sleeping since the 1990's, 

There are several good footballers in there in our national team but because it is our unwillingness to change that is the question.

I can't thinking we are coming close to coming full circle in a 20 year cycle period particularly with Euro 96 and World Cup 98.

Something's got to give, we should go up to Hampden and get the fans working with the association or at least try to ramify the changes we need. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Scottish football hasn't died. In fact it's been really good for the last few years. Sadly too may want the 'status quo' (i.e. Sevco and Celtic dominating everything) and when that resumes Scottish football will return to dying.

- The National Team is fucked. The way we play and the mentality dictate that we have very little chance of qualifying again. We years behind so many nations in so many aspects, and many more nations are quickly catching us and will quickly overtake us. This will all happen against a backdrop of everything in Scottish football being geared to ultimately serve only two clubs, added to the massive host of cowards who are players who support Celtic or Sevco and 'dream' of playing for them.

- We have not literally been sleeping since the 1990's. 

If we manage to stop the hand-wringing, accept what our average level is, and then look at how we can regularly achieve above that level, then maybe we might go somewhere.  We regularly fluctuate between expectations that are too high and fury at how shit we are.  There's no middle ground.  The reason du jour on why Strachan is the Great Satan appears to be that he talks us down in press conferences.  But at the same time, anyone who believes we can do something in this qualifying campaign is mental.  So it's terrible that someone is saying we're not so good, and it's terrible that someone thinks we're good.  I doubt any of the "smaller" nations are hand-wringing about how the continually don't qualify.  They're just getting on with it, and in the case of Albania, Northern Ireland, Wales and the like, they qualified this summer.  

The only way we're going to really make a marked change is if we go along the route Germany did.  They noticed a problem, they put a plan in place, and then they saw it through to the end in a decade-plus timeline that saw them lift the World Cup.  We'd be lucky if we got two years into the plan before everyone was crying for the manager's head.  Personally I don't think we could even come close to being able to accept the fallow years that come with such plans, so it comes back to what I said first. Accept that right now, we sit amongst the ranks of sides who probably won't qualify, but have a chance to, and then go from there.  

EDIT: Oh, and the "Death of Scottish Football"? That's just more evidence of the hand-wringing pish.  There's nothing wrong with Scottish football.  Soon it'll probably be back to the two-horse race at the top, but other leagues around Europe and the World exist in that kind of situation without being "dead".  

Our next qualifying group IS doable though. You seriously watch that Slovakia side or that Wales side and think "wow. they're so much better than us"? I do actually think they have better players but neither team sets the heather alight. We could do well against them and should be aiming to.

Our next qualifying group IS doable though. You seriously watch that Slovakia side or that Wales side and think "wow. they're so much better than us"? I do actually think they have better players but neither team sets the heather alight. We could do well against them and should be aiming to.

Slovakia are better than us right now. We have a poor manager, they have a great manager.

Our biggest hope of being in Russia is that we beat England to 2nd.

Marr1, on 15 Jun 2016 - 16:21, said:

Slovakia are better than us right now. We have a poor manager, they have a great manager.

Our biggest hope of being in Russia is that we beat England to 2nd.

They've not been great in either game so far. What they do have is players who can turn a game on it's head. But they're a side we need to be beating.

Also not sure why you think they'll finish ahead of England. I'm not even sure they'll finish ahead of Wales.

We have an okay chance in this group. No more than that. I wouldn't be shocked to miss out, but we should at least be ambitious and look at beating the sides that we have against us.

Bit of a minter that. :lol:

Point remains though. Slovakia simply aren't that good a team. They have key players in good areas, but we should be able to take something from them. Even that shite Russia team nearly got something from them.

We need to stop these 10 year plans and halting them 3 years in.

Give kids the facilities to fall in love with the game, then if they show potential try and teach them it. There should be indoor facilities all over the country for the kids to use, and it should either be free or at an affordable price for everyone. Football has turned middle class, times are tough, some parents can't afford to drive their kids about and pay £5 a time for pitch rental for a training session/game 3 times a week. What is the average price, £40-50 to rent out 1/3 of a football pitch? 

It's no longer a sporting issue, its a health issue too. As i said get more kids involved with the game, most will be rubbish but even if it ignites a passion for the game in them it's better than nothing, might even see them going to a game at their local team. My fear is most kids would rather watch Ronaldo & Messi on tv and pretend to be them in a computer game instead of grabbing a football and go to a local park with their mates and have a kick about.

Probably talking shite again but who cares  :P .

We need to stop these 10 year plans and halting them 3 years in.

Give kids the facilities to fall in love with the game, then if they show potential try and teach them it. There should be indoor facilities all over the country for the kids to use, and it should either be free or at an affordable price for everyone. Football has turned middle class, times are tough, some parents can't afford to drive their kids about and pay £5 a time for pitch rental for a training session/game 3 times a week. What is the average price, £40-50 to rent out 1/3 of a football pitch? 

It's no longer a sporting issue, its a health issue too. As i said get more kids involved with the game, most will be rubbish but even if it ignites a passion for the game in them it's better than nothing, might even see them going to a game at their local team. My fear is most kids would rather watch Ronaldo & Messi on tv and pretend to be them in a computer game instead of grabbing a football and go to a local park with their mates and have a kick about.

Probably talking shite again but who cares  :P .

East Dunbartonshire Council have just put let prices up by 83% for the new season. I can't remember the exact amount, but it's going to cost the team I coach an extra 12k a year across all age groups. We then have to pass that on to the kids, and for some parents that extra £4 per month is too much.

It's rancid from them, and every other council who charges clubs an absolute fortune.

Councils do have to find the money from somewhere though.

I think the point over starting plans and then not sticking with them is an interesting one.

We're only a few years into the proper 'Club Academy Scotland' system, the performance schools, and so on.

Yet there is all this noise about Brian McClair and Gordon Strachan "ripping it up and starting again" with a so-called 'blueprint'.

I think the point over starting plans and then not sticking with them is an interesting one.

We're only a few years into the proper 'Club Academy Scotland' system, the performance schools, and so on.

Yet there is all this noise about Brian McClair and Gordon Strachan "ripping it up and starting again" with a so-called 'blueprint'.

They do, but an 83% rise on something that will hurt mainly kids is ridiculous. Especially when they've just spent 50k on new signs telling people how many minutes it takes to walk to local landmarks  :lol:

20% could be coped with, even 40%. It would hurt, but it would be possible, but an 80% rise on anything is horrifically steep*

*Unless it's the value of something you own, in which case it's class.

I think the point over starting plans and then not sticking with them is an interesting one.

This worries me. Strachan is too old school and shouldn't be allowed to dictate the future development of the youth structure in scotland. Am I right in thinking he refuses to use sports scientists?

Archived