Premier League 2016-2017

There was a Leicester fan, in Spain for the game, that said he wouldn't have accepted (if offered it last year) a combination of winning the league followed by relegation.

Wouldn't accept it.

That c**t should be beaten to a bloody pulp with his own shoe.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The decision is understandable given their current situation, but has been really poorly handled by Leicester.

Given his ridiculous achievement last season, and the fact that they are in the KO stage of the Champions League, he should have given the chance to walk away himself rather than being sacked, or at the very least been "mutually consented". We all know what that means, but it's still far more dignified than just sacking the only guy who is eve likely to win you a title.

Unwavering support apparently lasts two weeks.

ETA: Apparently some bookies were offering a market on Leicester sacking him. Will the Gambling Commission and the FA be investigating?

32 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

It's hilarious the players have lost confidence in him like their top drawer acts when they really are just a bunch of jobbers

They'll rue the day they forced out Claudio ranieri when they're papped out to Rochdale on loan.

I know nothing of the financial rewards to do with England so I'm probably asking a stupid question here. But how much do EPL teams get for winning the title and qualify (and getting to the last 16) for the Champions League? Is it far less than what they'll lose if they go down?

My point is that even if they did get relegated would they be losing all that much considering what they've made from a year worth of full houses, a league title, a Champions League spot and likely a shitload from jerseys with Vardy and Mahrez on the back?

Either way it's an utter disgrace they sacked him. He'll be the only manager ever to be sacked by Leicester City while they are still in the Champions League. He'll be the only manager ever to get LEICESTER CITY into the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE! :wacko:

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I know nothing of the financial rewards to do with England so I'm probably asking a stupid question here. But how much do EPL teams get for winning the title and qualify (and getting to the last 16) for the Champions League? Is it far less than what they'll lose if they go down?

My point is that even if they did get relegated would they be losing all that much considering what they've made from a year worth of full houses, a league title, a Champions League spot and likely a shitload from jerseys with Vardy and Mahrez on the back?

Either way it's an utter disgrace they sacked him. He'll be the only manager ever to be sacked by Leicester City while they are still in the Champions League. He'll be the only manager ever to get LEICESTER CITY into the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE! :wacko:

http://www.totalsportek.com/football/premier-league-prize-money-table-2015/

Last year they earned 93m in TV money

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/premier-league-tv-rights-money-distribution/

This year if they finish bottom they will earn 97m

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-much-aston-villa-parachute-11161706

Parachute payment will be worth approx 87m over 3 years if they don't come back up

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/uefa-champions-league-prize-money/

Back of a fag packet calculation says about 40m if they go out in this round

As far as the finances go, the EPL is the be all and end all for a club like Leicester. They would have to win the CL to come close to making the same kind of cash that they receive simply by staying up.

I can understand from that POV why the board have sacked him. The owners are there to make money from an investment and Ranieri this year looks like he has no idea how to turn it around. That said, he should have been in that job for as long as he wanted it, so GIRUY if you go down Leicester.

36 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

That was my thoughts too. As far as I can tell, Leicester made £93m in EPL prize money (oddly four teams received more). They would have made around £70m if they had finished in, say, 16th like Bournemouth. So Ranieri is up £23m in simple EPL prize money. 

From the Champions League, as it is a work in progress there are no definite figures, however if they go out against Sevilla it looks like they'll receive about £21.5 million in purely competition prize money. 

So around £45m purely in additional prize money, all down to Ranieri, before even taking into account the additional crowds. Would the King Power have been sold out every week if they were lower mid-table? Four sell-outs in the CL. Huge worldwide exposure, enabling them to ramp up sponsorship deals, increase shirt sales and club merchandise, a money-spinning entry into a pre-season tournament, a tour of Thailand. 

But let's keep that £45m figure in mind. Leicester if they finished 17th this season (as would be moderately normal) would generate roughly £103m. I can't find Championship prize money anywhere, but Leicester would have big parachute payments (circa £90m over 3 years) to offset the difference.

Really, you're talking very little difference in funds if Leicester had finished 16th and 16th in the past two seasons, compared to the hypothetical of Ranieri winning the league and all that comes with it, and taking them down. Even if there's a difference of say £40m over the years - how many players is that to Leicester? They paid £10m for Okazaki, £6m for Benalyoune, £6m for Inler. £9m for Ulloa. £8m for Kramaric. All before Ranieri and the EPL win/CL. It's buttons.

Surely you would swap all of that for Leicester City winning the English Premier League? They're in the Champions League last 16! Leicester City! In 2009 they were in League One. Eight years later they're sacking an EPL winning manager.

I don't even see it as 'understandable' for business reasons. Sure, they'd lose money next season. So what? As shown above, two 16th placed finishes versus Ranieri's additional cash isn't even that much. Even putting it at a generous figure it's only a couple of squad players in reality. Surely you'd happily swap that for what Ranieri has done?

33 minutes ago, Paco said:

That was my thoughts too. As far as I can tell, Leicester made £93m in EPL prize money (oddly four teams received more). They would have made around £70m if they had finished in, say, 16th like Bournemouth. So Ranieri is up £23m in simple EPL prize money. 

From the Champions League, as it is a work in progress there are no definite figures, however if they go out against Sevilla it looks like they'll receive about £21.5 million in purely competition prize money. 

So around £45m purely in additional prize money, all down to Ranieri, before even taking into account the additional crowds. Would the King Power have been sold out every week if they were lower mid-table? Four sell-outs in the CL. Huge worldwide exposure, enabling them to ramp up sponsorship deals, increase shirt sales and club merchandise, a money-spinning entry into a pre-season tournament, a tour of Thailand. 

But let's keep that £45m figure in mind. Leicester if they finished 17th this season (as would be moderately normal) would generate roughly £103m. I can't find Championship prize money anywhere, but Leicester would have big parachute payments (circa £90m over 3 years) to offset the difference.

Really, you're talking very little difference in funds if Leicester had finished 16th and 16th in the past two seasons, compared to the hypothetical of Ranieri winning the league and all that comes with it, and taking them down. Even if there's a difference of say £40m over the years - how many players is that to Leicester? They paid £10m for Okazaki, £6m for Benalyoune, £6m for Inler. £9m for Ulloa. £8m for Kramaric. All before Ranieri and the EPL win/CL. It's buttons.

Surely you would swap all of that for Leicester City winning the English Premier League? They're in the Champions League last 16! Leicester City! In 2009 they were in League One. Eight years later they're sacking an EPL winning manager.

I don't even see it as 'understandable' for business reasons. Sure, they'd lose money next season. So what? As shown above, two 16th placed finishes versus Ranieri's additional cash isn't even that much. Even putting it at a generous figure it's only a couple of squad players in reality. Surely you'd happily swap that for what Ranieri has done?

Problem there is it's what he has done, not what he will do. The owners are now looking at the future and deciding on how best to prevent them turning into Blackburn Rovers.

Problem there is it's what he has done, not what he will do. The owners are now looking at the future and deciding on how best to prevent them turning into Blackburn Rovers.

Probably should have thought about that when giving journeymen players who have been average most of their careers 100k a week and expect them to have the same motivation and professionalism.

1 minute ago, port-ton said:

Probably should have thought about that when giving journeymen players who have been average most of their careers 100k a week and expect them to have the same motivation and professionalism.

Selling the guy who was clearly by quite some distance the most important player in your side and not even coming close to replacing him hasn't helped much either. Without Kante in front of the defence they cannot sit in and force teams to go wide and throw in crosses that will be gobbled up by the centre halves. Almost nothing got past him last year, almost nothing is stopped this year.

15 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I can see that, I just think it's grossly unfair. 

Claudio Ranieri won the league with genuine dross like Danny Simpson, Robert Huth, Mark Albrighton and Danny Drinkwater as guaranteed starters, If you want to move to the 'next level', it isn't the manager who should be emptied.... 

Apparently senior players voiced their displeasure to the board with their feelings on Ranieri after the Seville game. Shower of ungrateful shite. 

I was gutted when Ranieri was appointed as I thought he'd be shite in a relegation battle...

Just now, Paco said:

I can see that, I just think it's grossly unfair. 

Claudio Ranieri won the league with genuine dross like Danny Simpson, Robert Huth, Mark Albrighton and Danny Drinkwater as guaranteed starters, If you want to move to the 'next level', it isn't the manager who should be emptied.... 

I agree, but the problem now is that they cannot replace the players for the remaining part of the season. They have clearly looked at Swansea and seen the improvement there and decided that is the best option.

Yeah but let him fall on his sword at the end of the season. Proper farewell. They certainly aren't doomed and could've still saved it.

Instead they've turned the club into a greedy, classless joke. Hated rather than loved.

Get them punted.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

I dont see it as 'understandable' for business reasons. Sure, they'd lose money next season. So what? As shown above, two 16th placed finishes versus Ranieri's additional cash isn't even that much. Even putting it at a generous figure it's only a couple of squad players in reality. Surely you'd happily swap that for what Ranieri has done?

Investing in a football club  for business reasons isn't understandable  in general tbh. The only reason rich people invest in football clubs is for exposure, something the championship doesn't provide. A few full houses at the King Power matters f**k all.

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF, replacing Kante was nigh on impossible. Amartey is similar but levels behind, and the only player I can think of that's close is Gueye at Everton.

They were heavily linked with mccarthy until he went under the knife to fix his euros aggravated injury, still not as good as kante but... 

Archived