Premier League 2016-2017

Are there not any similar quotes from these kind of guys about all time United great Michael Carrick?

Sir Alex Ferguson said in 2014: "I think he's the best English player in the game."
Xavi: "He's a complete player."
Arsene Wenger: "Carrick could play for Barcelona."
Paul Scholes: "He’s capable of doing anything. He can create goals, score goals, he’s a great passer of the ball and is a big strong lad with a lot of presence who can run all day long."
Thierry Henry: “Not only this season but every year. People do not realise the amount of work Carrick delivers until he has gone."
Pep Guardiola: "He's one of the best holding midfielders I've ever seen in my life, by far."

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sir Alex Ferguson said in 2014: "I think he's the best English player in the game."
Xavi: "He's a complete player."
Arsene Wenger: "Carrick could play for Barcelona."
Paul Scholes: "He’s capable of doing anything. He can create goals, score goals, he’s a great passer of the ball and is a big strong lad with a lot of presence who can run all day long."
Thierry Henry: “Not only this season but every year. People do not realise the amount of work Carrick delivers until he has gone."
Pep Guardiola: "He's one of the best holding midfielders I've ever seen in my life, by far."

Yet still nowhere near a United great.

Accies

Since I started watching United. Which isn't too long, 15 odd year, off the top of my head, these players are surely all better United players than Carrick?

Scholes

Keane

Ferdinand

Vidic

Rooney

Ronaldo

Cole

Yorke

Solksjaer

Giggs

Staam

Neville

Beckham

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Schmeichel

Sheringham

Evra

VDS

Never mind an all time great?

He's been at the club for a very long time which is very impressive and had some great seasons which will put him ahead of players that have been there a short time, but surely not even been one of their top players in the period of time he's been there.

I know you're younger and maybe can't remember some of these teams and players as fondly as me but still.

Not sure what others would think tbh.

Also most likely forgot a few players in that too.

Can someone who thinks Scholes was intentionally out to hurt players with his tackling rather than just being shite at it provide an example of him being malicious? There's no doubt some of his tackles were unacceptable, but as far as I can remember it was always clumsiness rather than Roy Keane or Steven Gerrard style hatchet jobs that were blatant attempts to cause injuries.

4 hours ago, Green Teeth said:

Why is everyone so defensive over Scholes? I just think that he's a level bellow your Xavi, Iniesta, Zidane etc. Is that really so controversial an opinion? Like I said, Scholes is regarded as a better player now he's retired than he ever was during his career.

I take your point about the last comment, he was never praised in the same way Gerrard,Lampard and Beckham were, possibly because those 3 had that sky sports poster boy thing ,starring roles in big comeback moments and media friendly, scholes was a better player than those 3 IMO and was responsible for more victories but his style and personality didn't lend itself to the hysteria that is sky . Having said that of course he too scored some crackers.

You could probably find similar quotes on random shite like John Stones.

Only off shite like talksport.....dont think guys like xavi iniesta n Zidane have spent too much time eulogising about a guy who struggled to hold down a first team slot at Everton tbh....

Why is everyone so defensive over Scholes? I just think that he's a level bellow your Xavi, Iniesta, Zidane etc. Is that really so controversial an opinion? Like I said, Scholes is regarded as a better player now he's retired than he ever was during his career.

Probably cos guys like Zidane thought he was excellent n their opinion at the time they were contemporaries carries more weight than internet numpties who might have played a couple of 5 a side games....

Aye alright mate. And El-Hadji Diouf, Rustu Recber and some American woman are in the top 100 players ever, because Pele said so, right?
Sit doon.

Did he?? Feel free to quote the article im keen to read it....

The BBC have one of those "pick your 11" up for a combined Arsenal/Spurs team. Would any Arsenal players actually get in the Spurs team? You'd argue Sanchez, but who does he come in for? Alli? Eriksen?

I'm struggling to understand why Zidane praising players he played against is similar to Pele being forced to name 100 players

The BBC have one of those "pick your 11" up for a combined Arsenal/Spurs team. Would any Arsenal players actually get in the Spurs team? You'd argue Sanchez, but who does he come in for? Alli? Eriksen?

Lloris

Bellerin
Alderwiereld
Vertonghen
Davies

Eriksen
Dembele

Sanchez
Alli
Ozil

Kane

Archived