Premier League 2016-2017

30 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Embarrassing to go down holding his face but Fuchs clearly launches the ball at him deliberately.

shouldn't have stood right in front of where the throw in was being taken then should he? I'm assuming the intention of him standing there was to be hit by the ball, you can't then complain when it's launched off you.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shouldn't have stood right in front of where the throw in was being taken then should he? I'm assuming the intention of him standing there was to be hit by the ball, you can't then complain when it's launched off you.

You actually can. They've both been dicks here.

Rudy Gestede is on for Middlesbrough, so a late Sunderland goal is due to happen then. 

Glad he finally got a win. He might not be the best player alive but seems to be one of the good guys. He used to turn up at food banks to help out in Birmingham, for instance.

He is allowed to stand there as long as he is at least 2 yards away, so I'm not sure what Fuchs (or you) is expecting the referee to do.  He only commits an offence once he jumps to try to block it - you are not allowed to "unfairly distract or impede" the taking of the throw.  Fuchs should probably have received a yellow card too, given that he intentionally threw the ball at an opponent in a reckless manner.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

He is allowed to stand there as long as he is at least 2 yards away, so I'm not sure what Fuchs (or you) is expecting the referee to do.  He only commits an offence once he jumps to try to block it - you are not allowed to "unfairly distract or impede" the taking of the throw.  Fuchs should probably have received a yellow card too, given that he intentionally threw the ball at an opponent in a reckless manner.

He's thrown the ball into play. The fact that some dickhead is deliberately in the way is irrelevant. If he had blootered a free kick off some coupon in a wall would he be booked for that?

Gretna used to make a point of throwing the ball against their own players' backs to get the ball back to the taker's feet.

If the referee deems that a player has deliberately kicked or thrown the ball at an opponent in a reckless manner or using excessive force, then that constitutes an offence.  It doesn't matter whether he is taking a throw-in or a free-kick or whatever else - he still has to follow the basic laws of the game.

There is even an explicit section of the throw-in law (Law 15) which caters for such scenarios.  Players are allowed to throw the ball against an opponent to get the ball into play quickly, but it has to be done in a controlled manner.

590189f0b833d_ScreenShot2017-04-27at16_01_52.png.67d15b326b53a4a55160b2270a39ad13.png

7 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Glad he finally got a win. He might not be the best player alive but seems to be one of the good guys. He used to turn up at food banks to help out in Birmingham, for instance.

I have got nothing against him, I just find the stat that he had not won a match in the Premier League for 43 games quite interesting. I am sure Bale went through something like that with Spurs as well.

1 hour ago, Richie95 said:

I have got nothing against him, I just find the stat that he had not won a match in the Premier League for 43 games quite interesting. I am sure Bale went through something like that with Spurs as well.

The difference is that Bale was playing out of position while Gestede is playing out of his depth.

3 hours ago, Compliment Sandwich said:

He really should have went for the Celtic job. He'd have been hailed as a king right now instead of being completely found out.

I think it's a lot less 'being found out' and a lot more that he has one of the worst squads in the history of the Premier League. Defoe aside, I don't think there's a single player in that Sunderland squad that I'd replace a Middlesbrough starting player with, and that was our first win since the 17th of December.

You can only piss with the cock you've got, and that Sunderland squad is the penis equivalent of the blue waffle. 

Have you seen the whole situation? Fuchs went to throw the ball twice before.Sanchez stepped forward to block him off every time. It was only when he hit him the ref did anything.

Skip to 10mins, bearing in mind it's missed out the first time he did it

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

Why is the Manchester derby on a Thursday night?

I assume so sky or bt could show a match each night that had a bearing on the title and champions league places.... This is also the rearranged game from the cup fixture week.

Archived