Premier League 2016-2017

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like to agree with Liverpool fans, for fear of risking the immense popularity I have built up on here...

But the European Cup is easily the biggest competition in club football.

I should add that I'm too young to remember either... I was just alive when our last succesful title campaign began.

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I don't like to agree with Liverpool fans, for fear of risking the immense popularity I have built up on here...

I should add that I'm too young to remember either... I was just alive when our last succesful title campaign began.

Villa won the league using something like 14 players. An even bigger achievement than their subsequent European Cup win, imo. 

4 minutes ago, (._.) said:

I'm enjoying this heel turn from Bishop Briggs. He's saying stupid sentences whilst calling everyone stupid. It's one way to get noticed which is the end game for him. 

A round of applause for Bishop Briggs.

3 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Says the p***k with no name! :lol:

IMG_kojboe.jpg.770c944d5539b5cc7858a850b1ceff88.jpg

The way you worded it sounded like ANOTHER club who were brilliant and then shit. Surely we were talking about Leicester in the first place?

Well, yeah. That was the joke.

I won't bother booking the NEC for a stand-up gig anytime soon, don't worry.

3 minutes ago, (._.) said:

Well done for pointing out the obvious. Do you and 8mile share the same script?

Harsh on 8mile

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

No name.

No team.

No brain.

Just nothing! :thumsup2

Very fucking harsh...

5786563ba47ca_ImageUploadedByPieBovril1468421691.367404.jpg.d230d5c8a1a42bd4d37a4062d0c2b39f.jpg.2159c14e4dbecf7155aec695afeb6967.jpg

14 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Have no fear I've got loads of friends on here despite my allegiances. 

Thanks that's helpful was just trying to settle a small debate ... ;) 

The Champions league win was almost 12 years ago now and is about as relevant today as Aston Villa winning the European Cup and is negated further by 2 other teams winning it more recently. In the last decade Liverpool have won the same amount of trophies as notorious bottlers Spurs and titans such as Birmingham City, Wigan, Swansea, and Portsmouth in that famous League Cup win over a Championship side on Penalties which I'm sure will be passed down through the generations along with all the times they sort of came close to winning things. 

Winning the league would be a huge deal for Liverpool fans, the mass hysteria when they thought they were going to win it 3 years ago showed that it meant an awful lot. Must have hurt to see a team led by a man who got bodied by the Faroe Islands take a ragtag squad of jobbers, Ngolo Kante and Brexit in human form to the title without even coming close to choking whilst they have flung millions of pounds and have little to show for it. Shame really.

6 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

The Champions league win was almost 12 years ago now and is about as relevant today as Aston Villa winning the European Cup and is negated further by 2 other teams winning it more recently. In the last decade Liverpool have won the same amount of trophies as notorious bottlers Spurs and titans such as Birmingham City, Wigan, Swansea, and Portsmouth in that famous League Cup win over a Championship side on Penalties which I'm sure will be passed down through the generations along with all the times they sort of came close to winning things. 

Winning the league would be a huge deal for Liverpool fans, the mass hysteria when they thought they were going to win it 3 years ago showed that it meant an awful lot. Must have hurt to see a team led by a man who got bodied by the Faroe Islands take a ragtag squad of jobbers, Ngolo Kante and Brexit in human form to the title without even coming close to choking whilst they have flung millions of pounds and have little to show for it. Shame really.

Has it been that long? That wonderful night still just feels like yesterday ... :) 

I'm surprised it's taken as long for people on here to latch onto the lack of trophies since 2005 and 2006.

Losses in the final of the Champions League, Europa League, FA Cup, League Cup and two 2nd place finishes in the league there could have been a trophy or too more but it is in danger of becoming a bit of a burden. Although having not won it since 1990 the league already has been for a long time. 

Dont agree about Leicester though think most Liverpool fans were delighted for them. 

1 hour ago, (._.) said:

Why? 

Just like Arsenal, you're expected to win 0. It's only your own deluded fan base who actually think you're anything more than a bunch of also-rans. You make up the numbers. No more, no less.

You are keen to put Liverpool down. Having dominated English and at times European football for the best part of 25 years high expectations remain. While other big clubs stop winning things and have fallen away completely Liverpool are usually still there or there abouts. Who's your team? 

10 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Have no fear I've got loads of friends on here despite my allegiances. 

Thanks that's helpful was just trying to settle a small debate ... ;) 

It's not a debate that'll be settled on here I'm afraid Rab! My comments are based on what I've heard and read from players over the years. 

I think your order of preference may be different if Liverpool had the won the EPL recently but hadn't won the European Cup/Champions League for 20+ years. From a quick google it appears most major trophy wins are listed with the EPL and domestic first then European. That doesn't say too much for the stutus of the greatest club competition in the world! Clubs themselves seem to list domestic then European but you might get the exception that lists them how they personally prioritise the competitions. Lets take one of those at random...

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/history/honours
18 League Champions
5 European Cup Winners
7 FA Cup Winners
8 League Cup Winners
3 UEFA Cup Winners
3 European Super Cup Winners
15 FA Charity Shield Winners
1 Super Cup Winners

:whistle

Archived