Premier League 2016-2017

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sitting in pub watching this game. I can see why people pay hundreds of quid a year on sky subscriptions. 

The action doesn't stop.

For me I can't get freeview where I live n I'd never use virgin again awful service. I used to be with BT but broadband was awful n calling Mumbai to fix it was a nightmare. I got free broadband by taking sky sports....job done plus I like pro 12 rugby (that said bbc alba coverage is miles better even on a shoestring )

7 hours ago, dogmc said:

For me I can't get freeview where I live n I'd never use virgin again awful service. I used to be with BT but broadband was awful n calling Mumbai to fix it was a nightmare. I got free broadband by taking sky sports....job done plus I like pro 12 rugby (that said bbc alba coverage is miles better even on a shoestring )

What do rugby supporters think of Pro 12, surely that's as much of a fix as The Champions League?

What do rugby supporters think of Pro 12, surely that's as much of a fix as The Champions League?

Not really. Thats all the full time rugby teams that ourselves wales ireland and italy can afford to field. If you reckon there should be promotion / relegation then you would have full time players up against semi pros / amateurs. It would be utter carnage. There is talk of expanding the league to include n American n canadian sides which would be interesting. Id also like to see at some point romanian n perhaps georgian teams included but right now they are nowhere near good enough. Even zebre in the league is a bit of a mismatch. Rugby isnt like football where a mismatch just results in a high score, there is a real risk of serious injury ( sure an African lad broke his neck in rwc a few years back mabye ivory coast??) .

6 hours ago, dogmc said:

Not really. Thats all the full time rugby teams that ourselves wales ireland and italy can afford to field. If you reckon there should be promotion / relegation then you would have full time players up against semi pros / amateurs. It would be utter carnage. There is talk of expanding the league to include n American n canadian sides which would be interesting. Id also like to see at some point romanian n perhaps georgian teams included but right now they are nowhere near good enough. Even zebre in the league is a bit of a mismatch. Rugby isnt like football where a mismatch just results in a high score, there is a real risk of serious injury ( sure an African lad broke his neck in rwc a few years back mabye ivory coast??) .

Is it ok to support two teams, ie a pro 12 and a local side?

Well i do but thats due to friends n family playing for both. Most rugby fans are either players or former players. There has been a few glory hunters in recent years rocking up to watch Glasgow n embra hence you see big screens telling people to keep quiet when guys are kicking. That said ulster fans in particular are a whole other level of self entitled whinny neds.

Cant be bothered to eta my last post but going back to amateur days it would be the done thing to follow your club and district side (north n Midlands, glasgow, south of Scotland, embra and boooo exiles ). The move to pro rugby saw all manners of basterdisation of the old districts until we got to current set up. Nowadays both our pro teams play a good brand of rugby and are seeing them develop young players really well. The u20 guys have improved out of all recognition in last 18 months and many have come from local clubs through to the pro teams. Also helps that guys in u20s that get pro contracts come to local schools to assist coaching. They bring bang current techniques n it makes the 11/12 yr olds feel like the top level of rugby is attainable.

It'd be a great laugh if Sky somehow went bust. Every single team in the BPL would be f***ed.

It really is an obscene amount of money though and large sums of money are getting spent on players folk haven't even heard of. 

11 hours ago, dogmc said:

They bring bang current techniques n it makes the 11/12 yr olds feel like the top level of rugby is attainable.

And when they get there and their lifelong dream of a Scotland cap is within touching distance they can see it shattered as the SRU ship in yet another failed southern hemisphere player to play instead. ;)

And when they get there and their lifelong dream of a Scotland cap is within touching distance they can see it shattered as the SRU ship in yet another failed southern hemisphere player to play instead. [emoji6]

In fairness that doesn't happen anything like as much now. We do have guys like nel n strauss in the squad but far and away the majority of our players are homegrown. Still remember the likes of Brendan laney coming in at no small cost along with a whole host of guys. Think it was because we had much such a pigs ear of the early years of professionalism. It's much better now tho you could look at England n all blacks and question the pathway for home grown players.

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

In fairness that doesn't happen anything like as much now. We do have guys like nel n strauss in the squad but far and away the majority of our players are homegrown. Still remember the likes of Brendan laney coming in at no small cost along with a whole host of guys. Think it was because we had much such a pigs ear of the early years of professionalism. It's much better now tho you could look at England n all blacks and question the pathway for home grown players.

It was a major contribution to me losing interest in international sport. Much the same as football. I'd get behind any Scot representing Scotland no matter how bad we were but don't really care about anyone that's there only because they qualify to play for Scotland. 

Looks like Big Sam is going to exploit the residency qualifications for the English national team too. It's a side effect of the EPL clubs flooding their youth set ups with youngsters from all around the world that probable wasn't thought of. If they've lived in England from about 16 yo onwards they'll be able to play for them in their early 20s. I'm sure the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Man United/City would much rather have their players follow the European international break calendar than disappear to the Africa Cup of Nations or keep flying back to the Americas a few times a season so wouldn't be surprised if they used their influence to get them to become 'English'. 

The Premier League is guilty of fucking up many things football out of selfishness and greed so I don't see why they should restrict it only the club game.*

* Subtly bringing things back on topic to the Premier League as I realised we'd deviated off it a tad. :thumsup2

It was a major contribution to me losing interest in international sport. Much the same as football. I'd get behind any Scot representing Scotland no matter how bad we were but don't really care about anyone that's there only because they qualify to play for Scotland. 

Looks like Big Sam is going to exploit the residency qualifications for the English national team too. It's a side effect of the EPL clubs flooding their youth set ups with youngsters from all around the world that probable wasn't thought of. If they've lived in England from about 16 yo onwards they'll be able to play for them in their early 20s. I'm sure the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Man United/City would much rather have their players follow the European international break calendar than disappear to the Africa Cup of Nations or keep flying back to the Americas a few times a season so wouldn't be surprised if they used their influence to get them to become 'English'. 

The Premier League is guilty of fucking up many things football out of selfishness and greed so I don't see why they should restrict it only the club game.*

* Subtly bringing things back on topic to the Premier League as I realised we'd deviated off it a tad. :thumsup2

I'd b keen on seeing national qualification based on birthplace, parents or 10 year residence. Just to stay off topic one second more I remember budge pountney qualifying for Scotland cos his gran was from the channel Islands which count for all 4 home nations! I've no issue at all with us exploring the rules if others are doing it, I just think the rules should be tighter.

Looking at a few photographs of West Ham in the Olympic Stadium has made me feel really sorry for West Ham fans. Olympic stadiums are awful for watching football in as a general rule, but this looks particularly unsuited to football. It looks far too far away from the pitch and the shallow slope makes it even worse. I can see the appeal from the West Ham board to moving into an already built stadium not too far from your home, but it's terrible for the fans.

Looking at a few photographs of West Ham in the Olympic Stadium has made me feel really sorry for West Ham fans. Olympic stadiums are awful for watching football in as a general rule, but this looks particularly unsuited to football. It looks far too far away from the pitch and the shallow slope makes it even worse. I can see the appeal from the West Ham board to moving into an already built stadium not too far from your home, but it's terrible for the fans.

Totally agree, it looks crap, especially when you compare it to Upton Park. It always looked and sounded great on the TV.

All part of their "rebranding" with the new badge etc. Part of me feels sorry for the fans as it looks like the souls been ripped from them, but part of me says f**k them for letting it happen

Anyway, been a pretty uninspiring start to the league. I only watch on MOTD, but struggling to think of anything decent I've seen.

Archived