The Upgrade - Revisited. #OperationPrune

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spend too much time on here viewing current stuff without going back years to stuff i've never heard of.

Would it be feasible to archive the current forum and then start the new super duper forum from afresh?

Or am I just talking shite? Don't answer that. 

Everything that hadn't been posted it for 2 years, which wasn't in Gold, has been deleted. Sorry!

You didn't backup before deleting? For audit purposes? Oooh this is going to end badly

There are some old threads (cheerio from chigsy, old Apprentice and Survivor threads to name a few) which I was quite fond of revisiting.

Indiscriminate post genocide :-(

Edit: old posts appear to be viewable on beta.pieandbovril.com, so at least they're not completely lost.

Here I was, just the other day, reading through my Apprentice 4 game and reminiscing of the joy it brought to all of us.

And now? Gone. And other classic moments, such as Forehead threatening Shelldon's tortoise and the random Scandinavian Johhog - or whatever he was called. All gone.

WE NEEDED TIME TO ADJUST, DIV.

Everything that hadn't been posted it for 2 years, which wasn't in Gold, has been deleted. Sorry!

Why don't you /can't you delete posts over 2 years or months old in Music Chinese Whispers, Word Ass and the like?

Here I was, just the other day, reading through my Apprentice 4 game and reminiscing of the joy it brought to all of us.

And now? Gone. And other classic moments, such as Forehead threatening Shelldon's tortoise and the random Scandinavian Johhog - or whatever he was called. All gone.

WE NEEDED TIME TO ADJUST, DIV.

The cyber equivalent of a book-burning. This is the first step of Div's slow transition from friendly Site Owner into fascist ruler, IMO.

The cyber equivalent of a book-burning. This is the first step of Div's slow transition from friendly Site Owner into fascist ruler, IMO.

So what your saying is that the current Mods should be looking over their shoulders? Time for Div to purge the top brass.

So what your saying is that the current Mods should be looking over their shoulders? Time for Div to purge the top brass.

I'll be shocked if Nizzy and Mr. X don't end up in the dock claiming "ve verr only followeeng orderz" at some point in the next ten years.

Apparently there are over a million words in the English language, but I suspect a bit of bullshit on that claim. They must have counted plurals, possessives, etc. as separate words, which is a cheat.

Apparently there are over a million words in the English language, but I suspect a bit of bullshit on that claim. They must have counted plurals, possessives, etc. as separate words, which is a cheat.

Aye, not to mention "words" that don't exist except in the 20 volume OED and haven't been uttered by anyone in centuries. 

One good thing to come out the wasteland was someone pointing out that you could see how many times someone had posted in each thread. 

Hang your heads in shame A-listers :)

Nothing is ever deleted. Div will have saved all these posts onto a floppy disc, placed it into a time capsule, hoping that future generations can invent technology that can cope with 12GB of data.

Ok so an update on where we are.

I've pruned 5.6 million posts from the forum but annoyingly the posts are actually still inside the database but hidden from view.

I'm now running a background process (Invision seem to love a background process) to go through the database and permanently remove those posts, thus reducing the size of the post table. This is running as a low priority task so that it doesn't crash the board.

Will take maybe a few days to complete but you really shouldn't notice it running.

Once that has completed I should hopefully have a much smaller database to work with and I will then do a test upgrade, time everything, then think about doing another real upgrade.

I hate software. It sucks.

Should have just deleted the Word Association thread instead.

Genuine tears that the threads in SFL1 / Championship with Dundee and County fans lol'ing at ICT early on in season 2009/10 have gone. Especially General's infamous "Can ICT handle it?" thread.

A sad day for P & B. 

Should have just deleted the Word Association thread instead.

Genuine tears that the threads in SFL1 / Championship with Dundee and County fans lol'ing at ICT early on in season 2009/10 have gone. Especially General's infamous "Can ICT handle it?" thread.

A sad day for P & B. 

I've got a backup of everything that was deleted but I really don't see a lot of value in keeping it mate.

Anything decent should be flagged for Gold, that's what it's designed for.

I've got a backup of everything that was deleted but I really don't see a lot of value in keeping it mate.

Do you have any "my Leslie" era material left?

I've heard Edward Snowdon is outraged at this and is planning to hack and release this data. #ISurvivedTheP&B2016Purge

Archived