The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

Great 10 man fighting win today, and a Del Ure goal with 3 minutes to go to top it off, a win next week and we might just have a sniff of getting back into contention. As for the ref and the stand side linesman give up both you performances today were embarrassing.

I think once a team relocates from its home town, it has an adverse affect on the fan base, it usually drops off. However, if you then relocate again, even if it is nearer "home" it doesn't necessarily increase the fan base.

Good game today, both teams were well up for it - disappointed not to get another win over EK and take advantage of everyone else not playing, but a draw is a fair result for both teams, I think. Especially considering EK had the ball in the net twice after scoring (it'll be interesting to see those on the replays - my instinct was that neither was offside but I wasn't in a good position to see).  Speaking of which there was some odd decisions by the ref for both sides. I'm not sure Tapping should have been sent off, but he was certainly in the middle of a few arguments for someone who spent much of the game on a yellow.

That's actually the first time I've seen us play EK, and I'm enjoying this feisty rivalry we've got building against them, I'm looking forward to our games against them next season.

Finally, I've been very impressed with Adam Murray this season - I thought he was a bit of a bombscare in the past but he's really kicked on this season. Playing in an overall better defensive structure probably helps quite a bit.

On 12/12/2017 at 08:35, Jacksgranda said:

I think once a team relocates from its home town, it has an adverse affect on the fan base, it usually drops off. However, if you then relocate again, even if it is nearer "home" it doesn't necessarily increase the fan base.

Hamilton Accies being the prime example.

Falkirk announced today they are withdrawing from funding the Forth Valley Football Academy, which Shire and Stenhousemuir are also involved with, seems to be as a result of losing money each year since 2015. A shame for the clubs involved and for the kids who were taking part in it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42426817

They're now going to concentrate on signing free agents and selling them on.

• 2 weeks later...

Great way to end the year - 3 points, 3 goals, and a solid performance all across the pitch.

Thankfully tempers didn't flare too much in the second half  - I was slightly surprised that the game finished with 22 men on the park after that first half (McCormack should have gone for his tackle around the 30 min mark)

Aye, he should have gone, everyone in the ground other than the one who makes the call could see it was 100% a red card. Just one in a long list of nonsense decisions against both teams on the day from what is the worst display I've seen in quite some time from a team of officials (all 3 made some bizarre calls).

Thankfully, didn't have much of an impact on the result. Shire were by some distance the better side all over the park and in the end 3-0 flattered the visitors somewhat. But for a few cracking saves and a few poor misses it could / should have been more for the home side, the home keeper not having to make any sort of save in the 90.

Better team won comfortably, no doubt.

10 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Aye, he should have gone, everyone in the ground other than the one who makes the call could see it was 100% a red card. Just one in a long list of nonsense decisions against both teams on the day from what is the worst display I've seen in quite some time from a team of officials (all 3 made some bizarre calls).

Yeah, not a stellar performance from the officials today. I didn't catch what happened but it seemed like there was something else between McCormack and the Colts no.7 right after this that all three missed? It seemed at first like he jabbed him in the eye, but I wasn't sure if it actually happened or 7 was acting up.

Thankfully, didn't have much of an impact on the result. Shire were by some distance the better side all over the park and in the end 3-0 flattered the visitors somewhat. But for a few cracking saves and a few poor misses it could / should have been more for the home side, the home keeper not having to make any sort of save in the 90.

Better team won comfortably, no doubt.

The ref two officials and me as this was never a sending off, he tripped him from behind and number 7 rolled around for twenty minutes, he then jumps up walks up to jamie bounced off his chest and hit the deck again. It’s a shame that the young player choose to spend the game trying to wind up the opposition or coning the ref because he actually looked like he could play a bit when he put his mind to it, if this is what the Falkirk academy is producing no wonder they are pulling the plug on it.

The ref two officials and me as this was never a sending off, he tripped him from behind and number 7 rolled around for twenty minutes, he then jumps up walks up to jamie bounced off his chest and hit the deck again. It’s a shame that the young player choose to spend the game trying to wind up the opposition or coning the ref because he actually looked like he could play a bit when he put his mind to it, if this is what the Falkirk academy is producing no wonder they are pulling the plug on it.

I'm sure it'll be on the highlights, but looked to me like the shire player got annoyed at not getting a foul on the touchline and chased the (different) Colts player till he got close enough to have a lunge from behind and wipe him out, the ball no where near in any sort of playing distance. You could take your pick from violent conduct or endangering an opponent, it was a mix of both. "tripped him" seems more than a little blinkered. As I said, sure the highlights will show it, so it may look different to one of us on second viewing.

Didn't see what followed, but was described to me as "handbags" so I'll assume there was nothing in it.

No idea what the link to Falkirk Academy is. [emoji4]

I'm sure it'll be on the highlights, but looked to me like the shire player got annoyed at not getting a foul on the touchline and chased the (different) Colts player till he got close enough to have a lunge from behind and wipe him out, the ball no where near in any sort of playing distance. You could take your pick from violent conduct or endangering an opponent, it was a mix of both. "tripped him" seems more than a little blinkered. As I said, sure the highlights will show it, so it may look different to one of us on second viewing.

Didn't see what followed, but was described to me as "handbags" so I'll assume there was nothing in it.

No idea what the link to Falkirk Academy is. [emoji4]

Your number 7 is a graduate of the Falkirk academy simple really.

You sure? If he is it must have been a fairly long time ago. Montrose before Colts and full time with Aberdeen for at least two years before that.

Edit: Don't think he ever was. Hence my confusion at the link.

I may be wrong but the person I was sitting next to today told me he had played with his son at Falkirk. Stephen O’Neill?

Are shire starting to  ‘ run the table ‘ as a famous NFL played once said ?? 

Shire have really improved since Bolo arrived, he has organised us and made us a lot more difficult to score against, but unfortunately his loan spell has ended and if this can’t be extended I fear our season can go only one way.

Good win for Shire today.  First half I thought Shire were excellent. Second half went to sleep a bit. Made it hard for themselves. I don't know how Rodgers missed that chance in second half. At least were able to win the game.

If Shire can go on an amazing run. Promotion isn't away from them yet.  PRobably need to win 9 out of their last 11 and maybe a draw to win the league.

Pleased with the win as SU are a tough opponent, but we made very heavy weather of it in the second half after a terrific first. Hopefully that serves as a bit of a reminder we need to keep going for the full 90 and not get complacent.  

Some questionable decisions from the ref today though. In the interest of transparency he should release his UCAS applications, I think someone was trying to curry favour with the uni...

28 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Good win for Shire today.  First half I thought Shire were excellent. Second half went to sleep a bit. Made it hard for themselves. I don't know how Rodgers missed that chance in second half. At least were able to win the game.

If Shire can go on an amazing run. Promotion isn't away from them yet.  PRobably need to win 9 out of their last 11 and maybe a draw to win the league.

I think Rodgers was trying to dink it over the keeper and got too much on it. More than made it for it with our 4th.

I can't see us getting promotion, the patchy start to the season has cost us. We should finish 4th and could possibly nip into the top 3 if someone drops off - we're only 5 points behind BSC and other than two against Spartans have a run of winnable games ahead of us. In fact other than Spartans and Selkirk I don't think we play another team from the top half of the table for the rest of the season.