The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

Jordan Tapping back at the Shire, signed from Sauchie.

On 25/06/2017 at 15:03, Cel123 said:

What you you say was East Stirling's best ever season ??

Don't know about the best ever season, can only talk from personal experience, but in terms of success, the best season I've experienced is 1980-81.

Comfortably retained our place in the First Division and reached the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup.

Drew home and away with Hibs, won at St.Johnstone plus 2 draws, drew home and away with Motherwell, played in the Anglo-Scottish Cup (winning 3-1 at Kilmarnock) and finished the season being the featured T.V. match versus Dundee, in front of 6000 at Firs Park.

4 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Won six league games out of thirty nine and beat Inverness Thistle and Cowdenbeath in the Scottish, impressive stuff.

They stayed up though that's why the season will be special to him.I can remember them getting promoted the season before that in a title battle with Falkirk in the old 2nd division, I remember a game at CP when Shire were winning 4-2 before the ref abandoned it with 9 minutes to go because of fog:lol:.

Shire had quite a few decent players back then. It was probably their peak that season 80/1 staying in the middle division for a couple of seasons as they went down the following year and remained in the bottom tier before eventually falling into the LL.

2 hours ago, gogsy said:

Won six league games out of thirty nine and beat Inverness Thistle and Cowdenbeath in the Scottish, impressive stuff.

Also drew 16, so that's 22 of the 39 games where we've picked up points against opponents with much greater resources. A half decent season in my book.

We've had better seasons at lower levels but that doesn't trump playing at a higher level.

I'm sure there were great teams and great seasons from before my time but I can only speak from my own experience.

• 2 weeks later...

All quiet on the shire front. Nothing on the club website or twitter account about the friendly with Tynecastle the other night. Strange when you can find the result on the Tynecastle twitter feed.