The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

Out of interest, when did 'Shire last go 11 unbeaten?

Purely on the numbers, catching EK is like 'Shire winning their last 10 games + EK losing 2 in the interim. EK's remaining games:

Sat 21 Jan - Spartans (H), EOSQC SF
Sat 04 Feb - Selkirk (A)
Sat 11 Feb - Preston (H)
Sat 18 Feb - Edinburgh Uni (H)
Sat 25 Feb - Stirling Uni (H)
Sat 04 Mar - BSC Glasgow (A)
Sat 11 Mar -
Threave (A), SCC QF
Sat 18 Mar
Sat 25 Mar - Civil Service Strollers (A)
Sat 01 Apr
Sat 08 Ap
Sat 15 Apr - Spartans (H)
Sat 22 Apr - East Stirlingshire (A)

no date yet - Hawick (H)
no date yet - Gala (A)

Out of interest, when did 'Shire last go 11 unbeaten?

Purely on the numbers, catching EK is like 'Shire winning their last 10 games + EK losing 2 in the interim. EK's remaining games:

Sat 21 Jan - Spartans (H), EOSQC SF
Sat 04 Feb - Selkirk (A)
Sat 11 Feb - Preston (H)
Sat 18 Feb - Edinburgh Uni (H)
Sat 25 Feb - Stirling Uni (H)
Sat 04 Mar - BSC Glasgow (A)
Sat 11 Mar -
Threave (A), SCC QF
Sat 18 Mar
Sat 25 Mar - Civil Service Strollers (A)
Sat 01 Apr
Sat 08 Ap
Sat 15 Apr - Spartans (H)
Sat 22 Apr - East Stirlingshire (A)

no date yet - Hawick (H)
no date yet - Gala (A)

I'm sure we went 11 games unbeaten in 2008-2009 before we were blessed with the legend that is Komoko Kamara and Cowdenbeath beat us 4-1 in a hilarious game.
We were definately unbeaten in 9 in the league (W7 D2) and I think we had 2 Scottish cup tie victories in there too, a 2-1 win vs Livingston and I cant remember the other. Our wee crumble at Christmas cost us a chance at the title which I will forever hold Falkirk responsible for as they re-called Jamie Barclay 3 weeks before the transfer window and left us with 17 year old Jamie Newman.

I feel that if we had any chance of catching EK then Dalbeattie had to do something yesterday. I dont see us winning every game until the end of the season either. I really do hope that EK are promoted if they win the league as they've had a fantastic season and managed to milk some 'record' which brought a huge bit of publicity for the LL.

We definitely went 11 games unbeaten from 27/9/2008 - 9 league games and 2 Scottish Cup. Prior to that from memory we went 12 games unbeaten in 1962/63 (10 league and 2 Shire Cup) .

I'm away from home at the moment but will have a proper look when I get back tomorrow night. We did win 17 league games in a row in 1947/48 but the best overall unbeaten run of games that season was 11 games (14 if you don't include a Shire cup defeat). I need to go back and check every season and every result. Don't think it will take that long.

As it turns out (with rather a lot of looking into) Shire's competitive record unbeaten run is 17 in 1891. However, our competitive unbeaten record is 12 in 1914 and 1962. We did also have a 11 game unbeaten run in 1987 as we did in 1951/52.

So the current run is so bad :)

On 11. 1. 2017 at 21:50, luggy said:

We have played a couple of pre season games there and to be honest it was a lot better than I remembered but as far as I have heard it is not one of the options for next season.

So what are the options?

After today's result another season in the LL is looking exceedingly likely, because Spartans now have the edge in terms of challenging EK and it's difficult to see EK dropping enough points to blow a six point lead with two games in hand with ten games to go given a lot of those games will be against teams from the bottom half of the table. Can't see the Shire moving away from the immediate Falkirk area as that could be a death sentence if support drifts away with the parachute payment dropping down to zero over the next two years, so the options would be Camelon (waterlogged way too often because of the canal), Falkirk (already have Stirling Uni and must cost quite a bit) and at a stretch Bo'ness (Newtown Park is run by a trust for the Bo'ness community)? My guess would be that you stay put, but need to pretend otherwise sometimes to try to gain some leverage a bit like the saga with Clyde in Cumbernauld.

After today's result another season in the LL is looking exceedingly likely, because Spartans now have the edge in terms of challenging EK and it's difficult to see EK dropping enough points to blow a six point lead with two games in hand with ten games to go given a lot of those games will be against teams from the bottom half of the table. Can't see the Shire moving away from the immediate Falkirk area as that could be a death sentence if support drifts away with the parachute payment dropping down to zero over the next two years, so the options would be Camelon (waterlogged way too often because of the canal), Falkirk (already have Stirling Uni and must cost quite a bit) and at a stretch Bo'ness (Newtown Park is run by a trust for the Bo'ness community)? My guess would be that you stay put, but need to pretend otherwise sometimes to try to gain some leverage a bit like the saga with Clyde in Cumbernauld.

We have other options for a ground [emoji6]

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 19:38, Dead said:

We definitely went 11 games unbeaten from 27/9/2008 - 9 league games and 2 Scottish Cup. Prior to that from memory we went 12 games unbeaten in 1962/63 (10 league and 2 Shire Cup) .

I'm away from home at the moment but will have a proper look when I get back tomorrow night. We did win 17 league games in a row in 1947/48 but the best overall unbeaten run of games that season was 11 games (14 if you don't include a Shire cup defeat). I need to go back and check every season and every result. Don't think it will take that long.

:lol:

Grangemouth seemed to be ruled out above. Beyond that I'll be interested to see what it would be as Little Kerse seemed to drop completely off the radar screen.

Wee have other options available outwith Little Kerse. Grangemouth Stadium is a no as athletics events get priority. Hopefully we'll hear more soon.

With little else football on today I took this game in. I was impressed with Spartans who were comfortable winners. Allum looks like a great signing. Disappointed with East Stirling although they look dangerous going forward, they have only got worse at the back. As posted already this really seals the league title for East Kilbride!

Spartans completely outplayed us today and we can have no complaints regarding the results. I thought Chris Townsley's celebrations were a bit ott, I would love to know why he felt the need to goad the shire fans?
And finally the shire have no options and we will be at Stenny next season.

Spartans completely outplayed us today and we can have no complaints regarding the results. I thought Chris Townsley's celebrations were a bit ott, I would love to know why he felt the need to goad the shire fans?
And finally the shire have no options and we will be at Stenny next season.

We had a particular Shire fan call him a w****r and arsehole, calling him out for 'retiring' throughout both games we've played them.
I appreciate we were upset he left, but Davie Greenhill also 'retired' and nobody said anything to him.

Townsley was a great servant to the club and I hope this shouting doesnt tar how he looks at his time with us.