The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

4 hours ago, johnmc80 said:

Loving the ek seethe fest. Its a delight.

That made me laugh ! I for one won't do down that route. You are right in your irony :) (gave you a greeny).

Albion Rovers went through a terrible time in the 1990s just after a bad spell for the Shire. I remember some Shire fans at that time at an away game at Coatbridge belittling the home support for the Rovers performance and why would they support such a team. I didn't buy it then or now as we were just as bad as them a few years before then (little did I know how things really could get bad when Mackin tried to kill ES in 2000/01 then the gloves were totally off and I was protesting screaming and kicking like my club was dying... as it was). Move forward 25 years or so and the disastrous slide of the Zebras out the SPFL is still very very fresh in the memory but we seem to now be worrying about what a player or manager of another club may have said. We are better than that. Shire fans have always been inclusive of other clubs and fans.

To be honest players and managers of all clubs say silly things. It doesn't detract from the work and points already built up by whatever club. What will happen in the future is well why we watch and love footy. I totally agree there are some dafties out there involved with various different clubs spouting dribble for the press and self-gratification. If we give these dafties the time of day then we are acknowledging that their low brow non-intelligent remarks are worth even a glace or thought. Rise above it. Don't give them the time of day.

EK deserve respect for the what they have acheived on the pitch so far this season, even if they currently do appear to have a 5th element of players/management trying to Trump Donald Trump in silly talk.

That made me laugh ! I for one won't do down that route. You are right in your irony [emoji4] (gave you a greeny).
Albion Rovers went through a terrible time in the 1990s just after a bad spell for the Shire. I remember some Shire fans at that time at an away game at Coatbridge belittling the home support for the Rovers performance and why would they support such a team. I didn't buy it then or now as we were just as bad as them a few years before then (little did I know how things really could get bad when Mackin tried to kill ES in 2000/01 then the gloves were totally off and I was protesting screaming and kicking like my club was dying... as it was). Move forward 25 years or so and the disastrous slide of the Zebras out the SPFL is still very very fresh in the memory but we seem to now be worrying about what a player or manager of another club may have said. We are better than that. Shire fans have always been inclusive of other clubs and fans.
To be honest players and managers of all clubs say silly things. It doesn't detract from the work and points already built up by whatever club. What will happen in the future is well why we watch and love footy. I totally agree there are some dafties out there involved with various different clubs spouting dribble for the press and self-gratification. If we give these dafties the time of day then we are acknowledging that their low brow non-intelligent remarks are worth even a glace or thought. Rise above it. Don't give them the time of day.
EK deserve respect for the what they have acheived on the pitch so far this season, even if they currently do appear to have a 5th element of players/management trying to Trump Donald Trump in silly talk.

Great post. Summed it up to perfection. If our clubs were judged on the silly things managers or players say when a mic is shoved in there face then we would all be fecked. There has been a few cringe factor comments from our manager which i would be first to except were a bit off. Made my toes curl as much as it probably made rival teams fans blood boil. But if the team is getting results on a saturday thats all that im caring about. So far they have done that so no complaints. Its a tight league as i said it would be on week 1. Lets see how it pans out. Both our clubs are on there own little journey. Ive enjoyed it so far. Long may it continue. Wouldnt be suprised if it goes down to a final game shoot out[emoji1]

Great post. Summed it up to perfection. If our clubs were judged on the silly things managers or players say when a mic is shoved in there face then we would all be fecked. There has been a few cringe factor comments from our manager which i would be first to except were a bit off. Made my toes curl as much as it probably made rival teams fans blood boil. But if the team is getting results on a saturday thats all that im caring about. So far they have done that so no complaints. Its a tight league as i said it would be on week 1. Lets see how it pans out. Both our clubs are on there own little journey. Ive enjoyed it so far. Long may it continue. Wouldnt be suprised if it goes down to a final game shoot out[emoji1]

Who was judging your club???? Just stating my opinion that your current manager and captain lack class!.

Just so the EK fans know. If it comes down to the last game of the season the game won't end on a penalty shoot out ????????????

12 hours ago, Dead said:

That made me laugh ! I for one won't do down that route. You are right in your irony :) (gave you a greeny).

Whatever else may be said about East Kilbride, they have delivered in creating a sustainable club to deliver long term success in one of Scotland's biggest towns after decades of all sorts coming forward with "jam tomorrow" schemes - and that can never be taken away from them.

Moreover they helped cement along with Spartans the sort of standards on & off the pitch any non-league club with ambitions of taking on those in the SPFL needs to put in place if they wish to be more than one season wonders in the Lowlands, let alone any other competitions.

On 2017/01/05 at 01:01, WaffenThinMint said:

....In many ways, the Shire's misfortune has also provided it with its greatest opportunity - freed from the almost perpetual doom of propping up the national league, they've already proved wrong those who claimed outside of the "protection" of the SPFL they'd go bust before even managing to finish a full season in the Lowlands.

This season the finances available to cover a very strong team budget by LL standards were boosted considerably by a 40k parachute payment and being in the league cup section with games against Rangers and Motherwell, so it doesn't really prove anything about the longer term sustainibility of the LL for the Shire with an Ochilview groundshare. Think they need to get back this season or next season or it could be a long time in coming as things could easily slide back to more of a midtable Whitehill Welfare level of performance in the years ahead. The timing of getting relegated just after EK had the massive cash injection from playing Celtic was a bit unfortunate for them as it may have taken away the best chance they had at getting into the playoffs. Every time it looks like they are about to get back into it in a big way there is a result like today's.

Edinburgh uni were well organised and a tough team to break down, as was expected by their season so far, but we looked blunt today, guys like Rodgers and Sludden really not offering anywhere near as much as they can.

And you have to question why there weren't more changes, Brisbane was winning balls in midfield but doing absolutely nothing with them. Some like Simon white could have given us something a bit more going forward.

Still though, an unbeaten home run extended and great to see Greene get another goal on his birthday.

It is interesting. If you want to compare it to the 3 previous seasons when there were only 22, 26 and 28 league games respectively (with league cup sectional games used to pad out the program in the first 2), it should be better to look at the goals-per-game average. Highest each season were Dalbeattie (2.68), Edinburgh City (2.5) and Edinburgh City & Spartans(2.64). Shire's currently on 3.94 - particularly unusual having not won 1/3 of their games.

On 06/01/2017 at 16:44, luggy said:

Biggest support in the lowland league from what I've seen. The day we played them the crowd looked around 400 although I did hear their manager on the radio claiming the crowd was over 800

I saw EK at Whitehill early on this season and I don't think that they had any support with them to talk about, maybe 10 max.  From what I have seen the Shire have not just got the biggest support but the best in terms of real support for their team, camaraderie with other fans and in terms of adding atmosphere to a match. No hate for EK but what is there that would actually ,are you like them as a club?

The Shire fans forum on facebook is literally the most embarrassing thing on this planet, the sheer delusion of some of our fans is pretty exceptional. Today's game was horrendous and sums up exactly why East Kilbride will win the league, as we fanny about doing fancy flicks while drawing 1-1 with teams in the bottom half of the league they consistently grind out results and fair play to them for that. Incredible that people still think we have a chance of winning the league, we lost that chance after the first game of the season. 

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think they need to get back this season or next season or it could be a long time in coming as things could easily slide back to more of a midtable Whitehill Welfare level of performance in the years ahead. 

Hey we're only 5 points off 4th wi 3 games in hand! 

There's a lot to play for yet :o

The Shire fans forum on facebook is literally the most embarrassing thing on this planet, the sheer delusion of some of our fans is pretty exceptional. Today's game was horrendous and sums up exactly why East Kilbride will win the league, as we fanny about doing fancy flicks while drawing 1-1 with teams in the bottom half of the league they consistently grind out results and fair play to them for that. Incredible that people still think we have a chance of winning the league, we lost that chance after the first game of the season. 

There's over 300 members and 100 people who attend games. That's my favourite part.