The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

I think with Andy Rodgers playing for you, you have a great advantage in that league.  He is a class above that level, he might not be as fit as he was but his awareness and positioning will stand out.  Hope you win the league.  The hubris of the East Kilbride captain is ridiculous and deserves to be shat upon.

I think with Andy Rodgers playing for you, you have a great advantage in that league.  He is a class above that level, he might not be as fit as he was but his awareness and positioning will stand out.  Hope you win the league.  The hubris of the East Kilbride captain is ridiculous and deserves to be shat upon.

Yes

1 hour ago, afca32 said:

Good to see you guys enjoying this season. Always enjoyed meeting Shire fans. Hope you catch East Kilbride.

Hope Shire stay down for a year longer. Firstly, because youse are all decent c***s, it's been a real pleasure, and secondly, if say Cowdenbeath or Berwick come down it will strengthen the reputation of the LL and possibly bring on automatic promotion in future.

EK can f**k off to the big leagues, ambitious unlikeable c***s that they are :lol:

Edited by The Mantis

2 hours ago, dave_binos said:

Do Shire fans want promotion? Seem to be winning a lot of games quite convincingly. Promotion may mean another relegation battle or would you be confident in the manager bringing in the players required to mount a play-off challenge? 

In the short term I'm not too fussed about getting promoted, it's obviously more enjoyable to be winning games and challenging at the top of the league rather than another fight to avoid 10th, plus I think we have a good chance of winning the two regional cups we're in, which would be great as well. Hopefully we'll go back up at some point in the future, but not before using it as a chance to get our house in order. Other Shire fans might see it differently but that's my view.

Edited by AlansHotBath

There is perhaps a case for finishing as a strong second being better in the long run rather than being promoted. If they return at the first time of asking, at a stroke the incentive for many fans that have drifted in or back - ie. the novelty of a regularly winning Shire - has vanished.

Failing to make the play offs but running EK right to the wire will prove the potential is there but that the Lowlands is not as easy as it looks, motivating existing fans & interested observers to dig deeper to support the club (particularly over the ground issue) more over the long term.

In many ways, the Shire's misfortune has also provided it with its greatest opportunity - freed from the almost perpetual doom of propping up the national league, they've already proved wrong those who claimed outside of the "protection" of the SPFL they'd go bust before even managing to finish a full season in the Lowlands.

For me I certainly wouldn't mind another year in the LL as it has made football enjoyable again. The only downside is the club at best can only stay 2/3 year in the LL before we would basically have to go amateur.

Would love to win some sort of trophy this season, many of us haven't seen the shire lift any sort of trophy before.

League wise I'm 50/50 heart says yeh we can go and catch EK win every game when we play to our full potential, but on the other hand my heads saying that EK should have enough quality to get it done before April begins.

Exciting times ahead for the league at both ends !

Do EK have a decent support? How many fans do they have at their home games? Do they travel in decent numbers? 

Biggest support in the lowland league from what I've seen. The day we played them the crowd looked around 400 although I did hear their manager on the radio claiming the crowd was over 800