The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

10 hours ago, Kilroy said:

I am led to believe its still a very modest playing budget, half the team that beat ES were regulars from last season, McGinley, Russell, Howie, McBride, Winter. EK seem to have found a winning way, with their Manager now having won 17 out of 18 games, 17 in a row after losing on first night in job, so even at the back end of last season they were finding ways to win.  Seem to have copied the Edinburgh City style of winning every week when others teams are taking points off each-other. 

Reliably informed that most of the players mentioned are only on expenses, with some of the higher profile players doing ok.  Also heard they managed to get one or two players jobs, which removes need for any football wages, so they are boxing clever, and good luck to them.

Well you would be wrong. I know for a fact they had to give these guys from last season even more money to keep them because guys being signed were getting money. Very Very decent money is changing hands between EK and some of there players.

36 minutes ago, ekfootball said:

Well you would be wrong. I know for a fact they had to give these guys from last season even more money to keep them because guys being signed were getting money. Very Very decent money is changing hands between EK and some of there players.

You seem very passionate on the subject for someone with no affiliation or real interest :-), but whilst there has certainly been a shift to ensure that all players are getting expenses at the very least, any player money remains pretty modest in comparison, in the grand scheme of things.  Budgets of lower level junior teams, Highland League & other Lowland are higher, but I would certainly now expect EK to be in a very strong position, after the start that has been made to the season.

Seriously, this "expenses" line is fairly tedious.

EK are spending more on their playing squad than anyone in the LL. You only have to look at the players they have and where they came from to know that.

There's nothing wrong with this, they earned the right to do it through performance in the Scottish and by being a well run club even before that. They are ambitious and want to get into the SPFL and are spending the money (pretty well it seems, not as if they are bringing in poor players) to give themselves the best possible chance to do so.

I don't understand why anyone has a problem with that or would feel the need to try to convince anyone that their squad is expenses based to any great degree (obviously there might be a handful). If its sustainable for the club and gets them where they want to be, fair play to them.

Question from Infowire thread - does anyone know when East Stirlingshire first got floodlights at Firs Park, and who they were opened against? 1965 / earlier as went to Kilbowie that year.

Can't answer that but the floodlights that were at firs park are now at Falkirk rugby club although they are obviously not the originals

4 hours ago, Kilroy said:

You seem very passionate on the subject for someone with no affiliation or real interest :-), but whilst there has certainly been a shift to ensure that all players are getting expenses at the very least, any player money remains pretty modest in comparison, in the grand scheme of things.  Budgets of lower level junior teams, Highland League & other Lowland are higher, but I would certainly now expect EK to be in a very strong position, after the start that has been made to the season.

He's got 125 posts which is 123 more than you, you have signed up and posted 2 bits of EK propaganda?

whats the difference between his affiliation/interest and yours? 

I do have an interest as I come from the town and know some of the players. I never said I had no interest in the club. I've also never said its a bad thing how they go about there business financially. All I'm saying is there's a lot more money changing hands there than most people think and they should be winning the league. Nobody in the LL will pay more than they do.

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Question from Infowire thread - does anyone know when East Stirlingshire first got floodlights at Firs Park, and who they were opened against? 1965 / earlier as went to Kilbowie that year.

Your up Dead

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

He's got 125 posts which is 123 more than you, you have signed up and posted 2 bits of EK propaganda?

whats the difference between his affiliation/interest and yours? 

Covering a few replies with this post.

1.  Was unaware number of posts made some options more valid than others, I'm not on here to push EK propaganda, League table does that well enough.

2.  Just like EKfootball, I have a close friend who plays for EK and I'm quite familiar with what's happening, and know that they are running on a very sustainable basis, not going crazy throwing cash, but would be interested in thoughts of how the current EK team would fare if promoted? 

Also, I know some players playing for low range Junior sides who earn more than some of the EK starting 11 on Saturday, but for me that says more about wasted money in Juniors, and whoever earns most at EK will certainly be earning it on merit.

But after watching the game on Saturday, East Stirling are certainly the biggest threat to EK, who have earned favourites tag. Wasn't a pretty game on Saturday, but a good occasion and ES had some very good players, number 9 in particular. 

4 minutes ago, Kilroy said:

Covering a few replies with this post.

1.  Was unaware number of posts made some options more valid than others, I'm not on here to push EK propaganda, League table does that well enough.

2.  Just like EKfootball, I have a close friend who plays for EK and I'm quite familiar with what's happening, and know that they are running on a very sustainable basis, not going crazy throwing cash, but would be interested in thoughts of how the current EK team would fare if promoted? 

Also, I know some players playing for low range Junior sides who earn more than some of the EK starting 11 on Saturday, but for me that says more about wasted money in Juniors, and whoever earns most at EK will certainly be earning it on merit.

But after watching the game on Saturday, East Stirling are certainly the biggest threat to EK, who have earned favourites tag. Wasn't a pretty game on Saturday, but a good occasion and ES had some very good players, number 9 in particular. 

1. But with his 125 posts he has earned a fair bit of respect on this board. Forgive me for being cynical when a supporter of the Ugly Sisters comes onto a LL forum and starts casting aspersions about another poster's credentials.

2. Good luck to EK, nothing wrong with being ambitious and they can pay what they want. However for years they've been telling us that nobody gets paid. Then recently johnmc80 blows the whistle on that, fair play to him, and says that was a load of pish, of course they get a wage. Now you're trying to turn the clock back. Btw which LL clubs have bigger budgets?

16 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

1. But with his 125 posts he has earned a fair bit of respect on this board. Forgive me for being cynical when a supporter of the Ugly Sisters comes onto a LL forum and starts casting aspersions about another poster's credentials.

2. Good luck to EK, nothing wrong with being ambitious and they can pay what they want. However for years they've been telling us that nobody gets paid. Then recently johnmc80 blows the whistle on that, fair play to him, and says that was a load of pish, of course they get a wage. Now you're trying to turn the clock back. Btw which LL clubs have bigger budgets?

Took me about 5 minutes to get my head round what you meant by 'Ugly Sisters!'  

Got it now :-)