The East Stirlingshire Thread

craigiemack

Shires Twitter showing a team photo from when they played at Firs park... What a place that was. I'd have been gutted if you'd got relegated playing there.

Proper old school lower league ground that, one of my favourites. A ground that helped me fall in love with the charm of lower league football, one of my early away days. Walk up the street between the blocks, wee wall at the end with shitey turnstiles, walk through and there's the ground, fantastic place, the memories...

:(

Sat will be interesting.  Attack seems to be the best form of defence in this league, especially for us.

I work in the same civil service organisation (believe it or not) with CSS very own Jordan Finnie.  I'll offer him a tenner if he doesn't score as apparently he's quite handy in that dept. However, he'll need to wait till pay day on Wednesday for it.

On the other hand, if we continue to keep up this eye for goal then we should be ok for the 3 points I'd think :)

4 hours ago, craigiemack said:

Looks like another sell out bus for Saturday, away crowds definitely increasing emoji106.png

Christie Gillies Park Silverknowes Edinburgh. 

Sat nav EH 4 5 EJ 

For those in cars there's Laurieston Farm (Toby carvery)  about a 5 minute drive or Silverknowes golf club around 2 minute drive for food. Golf club should have lunchtime sky match on (well it did the last time I was there)  ?  alternatively they'll have pies at the club inside the ground. (Quickest route from Falkirk probably take a left at the Maybury roundabout towards Barnton junction, there's a way to the ground that way, though I reckon the sat nav will have you going via Davidson s mains.) 

The ground itself has come on a long way since they used to have just a rope around the pitch. It's now enclosed with a bike shed type stand.

It has a large social club,i think there will only be one bar open,the other lounge maybe used for functions, behind the goals, where you have to pass a derelict bowling green to reach the ground.  

Enjoy yer day if ye play anywhere near as close as against us then I can comfortably see you taking all 3 points. 

Enjoy. 

5 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Shires Twitter showing a team photo from when they played at Firs park... What a place that was. I'd have been gutted if you'd got relegated playing there.

Proper old school lower league ground that, one of my favourites. A ground that helped me fall in love with the charm of lower league football, one of my early away days. Walk up the street between the blocks, wee wall at the end with shitey turnstiles, walk through and there's the ground, fantastic place, the memories...

:(

It was even better before the built the Berlin Wall behind the goal used to be able to walk all the way round, and the original stand which looked more or less like the new one. Going back further before they built the retail park there used to be a large garage thing behind the stand which housed old stream trains!

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

Christie Gillies Park Silverknowes Edinburgh. 

Sat nav EH 4 5 EJ 

For those in cars there's Laurieston Farm (Toby carvery)  about a 5 minute drive or Silverknowes golf club around 2 minute drive for food. Golf club should have lunchtime sky match on (well it did the last time I was there)  ?  alternatively they'll have pies at the club inside the ground. (Quickest route from Falkirk probably take a left at the Maybury roundabout towards Barnton junction, there's a way to the ground that way, though I reckon the sat nav will have you going via Davidson s mains.) 

The ground itself has come on a long way since they used to have just a rope around the pitch. It's now enclosed with a bike shed type stand.

It has a large social club,i think there will only be one bar open,the other lounge maybe used for functions, behind the goals, where you have to pass a derelict bowling green to reach the ground.  

Enjoy yer day if ye play anywhere near as close as against us then I can comfortably see you taking all 3 points. 

Enjoy. 

You missed out the Gunner that's just more or less across the road from the ground:lol:

It was even better before the built the Berlin Wall behind the goal used to be able to walk all the way round, and the original stand which looked more or less like the new one. Going back further before they built the retail park there used to be a large garage thing behind the stand which housed old stream trains!

I'd forgotten about that. Sometimes they would drive the engines out of the shed which was more interesting than some games. The best bit was when it was very humid with little wind and the steam went across the park and obscured the play! Thanks for restoring that memory!

4 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

For people feeling nostalgic.

Was at this game and the atmosphere in the place was electric. You get a view of how things looked before the "Berlin Wall".

2 hours ago, cfor56 said:

I'd forgotten about that. Sometimes they would drive the engines out of the shed which was more interesting than some games. The best bit was when it was very humid with little wind and the steam went across the park and obscured the play! Thanks for restoring that memory!

I can remember the train shed was built into the side of the ground and was old corrugated iron with holes in it you could peer through the holes to have a look at the old trains.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

For people feeling nostalgic.

Was at this game and the atmosphere in the place was electric. You get a view of how things looked before the "Berlin Wall".

Losing the old Byrson end killed the ground a bit. God Charlie Kelly in the Shire goals he was there for donkey's years! 

1 minute ago, newcastle broon said:

We played a Scottish Cup tie at Firs Park one year as Stirling Albion had an artificial pitch at the time if I remember correctly  ?  

Aye played the Albion in a Scottish Cup tie there as well for the same reason. Think they played quite a few Scottish Cup games there, also seen them play Clydebank at Brockville. The days of 2 grounds in Falkirk town centre I must be getting old!

They played Caley at Brockville too, think it was 89-90. Albion won 6-2.

Another time Caley beat Albion 2-1 at Annfield in 1984 but the game was played so late that the next round against Rangers was played 3 days later. Albion had a programme printed for the Rangers game which was never needed. Caley lost 6-0 at home to Rangers.

Edit- i feel a Firs Park blog coming on. Got one or two photos before the Berlin Wall.

Edited by The Mantis

Bobby McCulley isn't quite as short of stature in the clip as I remember him. That Shire team was not bad to watch. It was a pity that only a few dozen diehards would go to their home games. Billy Lamont was underrated as a manager and maybe should have got a chance to manage larger clubs than he did.

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Bobby McCulley isn't quite as short of stature in the clip as I remember him. That Shire team was not bad to watch. It was a pity that only a few dozen diehards would go to their home games. Billy Lamont was underrated as a manager and maybe should have got a chance to manage larger clubs than he did.

Bobby McCully remember him also. Probably the last truly decent Shire side as they managed to stay in the 1st division for a couple of seasons.

Remember Bobby McCulley playing for us, also Brian Scrimgeour for a short period.

I was at that 6-0 Rangers win at Telford Street versus Caley. My uncle supported the old Rangers and took me along. Remember Bobby Williamson up front, Davie Cooper on the wing, and Peter McCloy in goals. He was launching the balls ridiculous lengths, right into the Caley box when kicking from hand.