The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

We are going up through the play offs this season. Feel free to bookmark.

I'm tempted to offer a wager on that but wouldn't bet against our team performing well.

I'll settle for calling you a delusional idiot.

You're a delusional idiot.  But I'm sure you're a nice guy IRL.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I'm tempted to offer a wager on that but wouldn't bet against our team performing well.

I'll settle for calling you a delusional idiot.

You're a delusional idiot.  But I'm sure you're a nice guy IRL.

You're not taking this cup win very well. 

1 minute ago, stumigoo said:

You're not taking this cup win very well. 

I have been critical of McKinnon and think it's only fair to offer praise when due.  He was quite bold with his team selection, formation and tactics.  Murdoch wasn't great at RB but if Frank wasn't fit he was a better option than Toshney.  Plus he played Coote and hooked VdV when he should have.

All that said St Mirren should have had the game wrapped up by half time.  We took advantage of their inability to finish.

Looking at the league, we have taken 6 points from the last 10 games.  That's relegation form.

We have 8 league games left, I see nothing to suggest we will finish higher than 4th.  I take no pleasure from saying that and hope I'm wrong.

Where do you think we will finish?

I think we will take confidence from today and draw our next game, then go back to losing and just stumble over the line into the playoffs where we will be papped out in the first round.

Mckinnon to blame everyone amd everything other than him probably playing VDV at left back and Toshney in the number 10 role.

5 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I think we will take confidence from today and draw our next game, then go back to losing and just stumble over the line into the playoffs where we will be papped out in the first round.

Mckinnon to blame everyone amd everything other than him probably playing VDV at left back and Toshney in the number 10 role.

I think the team will raise false hope in the fans' breasts  by making the play-off final somehow.. We'll then win the first leg away by a fluky own goal, keep things level in the second leg and then lose three goals in the 10 minutes of injury time. At Dens.

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I have been critical of McKinnon and think it's only fair to offer praise when due.  He was quite bold with his team selection, formation and tactics.  Murdoch wasn't great at RB but if Frank wasn't fit he was a better option than Toshney.  Plus he played Coote and hooked VdV when he should have.

All that said St Mirren should have had the game wrapped up by half time.  We took advantage of their inability to finish.

Looking at the league, we have taken 6 points from the last 10 games.  That's relegation form.

We have 8 league games left, I see nothing to suggest we will finish higher than 4th.  I take no pleasure from saying that and hope I'm wrong.

Where do you think we will finish?

I think we will finish third. On paper the Morton squad is a little thin and I think they might start dropping points. The Falkirk side is more reliable than ours and they should do enough to finish second.

My prediction is that we will narrowly beat Morton over two legs in the first playoff match but that we will lose against Falkirk (who I actually fancy against the 11th place Premiership side this year).

We have 8 league games left and I think we will get roughly 16 points from those games. 

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

I think we will finish third. On paper the Morton squad is a little thin and I think they might start dropping points. The Falkirk side is more reliable than ours and they should do enough to finish second.

My prediction is that we will narrowly beat Morton over two legs in the first playoff match but that we will lose against Falkirk (who I actually fancy against the 11th place Premiership side this year).

We have 8 league games left and I think we will get roughly 16 points from those games. 

Seriously?  Don't get me wrong that would be great but I'd really like an explanation that's based on something other than wishful thinking of how you arrive at that prediction.

We have won once in the last 10 league games; we have got 6 points from our last 10 games; Spitall, Fraser and Dillon are out; I'm fairly certain VdS is carrying an injury; Toshney can only play in one position without being a liability - that's one more than Donaldson; the Edge is for some reason not nearly the player he was earlier on the season; VdV is crap and so is Mikkelsen.

That is the rationale for my prediction, I'd love to hear yours.

37 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Seriously?  Don't get me wrong that would be great but I'd really like an explanation that's based on something other than wishful thinking of how you arrive at that prediction.

We have won once in the last 10 league games; we have got 6 points from our last 10 games; Spitall, Fraser and Dillon are out; I'm fairly certain VdS is carrying an injury; Toshney can only play in one position without being a liability - that's one more than Donaldson; the Edge is for some reason not nearly the player he was earlier on the season; VdV is crap and so is Mikkelsen.

What did you make of Mikkelsen yesterday? I thought he was excellent, showing good link up play as well as a good finish for the goal. If that was the first time we'd seen him he'd look like a good signing. Unfortunately until yesterday he has looked poor.

40 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This is the only rationale I need.

C7xdDbBXUAE5I2x.jpg-large.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

What did you make of Mikkelsen yesterday? I thought he was excellent, showing good link up play as well as a good finish for the goal. If that was the first time we'd seen him he'd look like a good signing. Unfortunately until yesterday he has looked poor.

Yeah he looked good.  My judgement is based on all the times I have seen him playing for us.  I will happily withdraw my criticism if he plays the rest of the season like he did for 30 minutes yesterday.

4 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

This is the only rationale I need.

C7xdDbBXUAE5I2x.jpg-large.jpeg

Fair enough.  I thought we were having a serious discussion.  My mistake.

I wonder where Andreu will be next season. He is clearly miles above this level but didn't make it in the English Championship, so far. He may well kick on next season and get some game time there. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Seems a thoroughly nice chap as well as being our standout performer.

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Fair enough.  I thought we were having a serious discussion.  My mistake.

My actual rationale is that I cannot disagree with anything you have said but when I look at the run in we have 5 home games and 3 away. The home games you would hope for at least 9 points out of a possible 15 given the opposition. We were winning games a few months ago with our poor squad and equally poor football but I think much of that was down to confidence which will hopefully be lifted after yesterday. Tuesday will, in my opinion, go a long way to show what we can expect for the rest of the season. If we win and win well then maybe we can look forward to a decent run in but as I previously said I think we are going to fall short in the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I wonder where Andreu will be next season. He is clearly miles above this level but didn't make it in the English Championship, so far. He may well kick on next season and get some game time there. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Yeah definitely deserves to be playing at a higher level; could certainly walk into most Scottish Premiership sides.

Thank Christ we've had him this season.

12 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

My actual rationale is that I cannot disagree with anything you have said but when I look at the run in we have 5 home games and 3 away. The home games you would hope for at least 9 points out of a possible 15 given the opposition. We were winning games a few months ago with our poor squad and equally poor football but I think much of that was down to confidence which will hopefully be lifted after yesterday. Tuesday will, in my opinion, go a long way to show what we can expect for the rest of the season. If we win and win well then maybe we can look forward to a decent run in but as I previously said I think we are going to fall short in the playoffs. 

I don't want to get into an ongoing dialogue so this will be my last contribution.  I'll start by saying that I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Like I said our team has been depleted by injuries; we can't ignore this.  Also whilst confidence has a part to play I think the biggest thing is that other teams in the Championship have got better, got stronger, and have identified our weaknesses and learned how to play us.  In particular other managers have sussed out that our full backs aren't the best and have exploited this.

Tuesday night will be interesting.

I don't want to get into an ongoing dialogue so this will be my last contribution.  I'll start by saying that I hope you're right and I'm wrong.
Like I said our team has been depleted by injuries; we can't ignore this.  Also whilst confidence has a part to play I think the biggest thing is that other teams in the Championship have got better, got stronger, and have identified our weaknesses and learned how to play us.  In particular other managers have sussed out that our full backs aren't the best and have exploited this.
Tuesday night will be interesting.

The reality is we have no idea how things might pan out, that's football, that's United.

Good to see we have quite a few decent young boys coming through the youth system. Donaldson, Allardice and Ballantye all getting called up to Scotland youth levels.

As well as Robson & Coote, getting first team game time. Hopefully the likes of Sukar, Smith and the 3 other young boys push on next season for starting place.

I wonder if of the very small chance we did go up, if he would stay. Cause since Neil got punted by Norwich can see him getting released at end of season.

Archived