The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

Not at the wind up - but how long do you give McKinnon? He looks woefully out of his depth. If you bin him now you give yourselves a better chance in the play offs, surely?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even after yesterday's monumental clusterfuck I am not advocating that McKinnon should definitely get the chop, but surely his position had got to be under serious review.

The starting line up was absurd, the hoof ball tactics simply weren't working and United did more in the 20 minutes Coote was on than they did in the previous 70.  Raith were poor but had two gold plated chances in the first half that they squandered and a further two in the second half; as I said in the match thread the scoreline flattered us.

There are eight more league games to play and if McKinnon's team selection, tactics and organisational ability don't improve significantly there is no case for keeping him.  We all make statements like "the worst performance I've seen..." but yesterday that would not be an exaggeration; and Raith's record coming into this game should not be discounted.

Not at the wind up - but how long do you give McKinnon? He looks woefully out of his depth. If you bin him now you give yourselves a better chance in the play offs, surely?

I can't see us sacking him while we are in a play off position. As bad as things are.

I would be surprised if he was punted. He has little experience and this is his first major job. Unfortunately he will make mistakes as he learns - if he is any good, he'll learn from his errors and improve.

As for United, we're in no position to get an high performing experienced manager so we have to gamble on managers.

As for United, we're in no position to get an high performing experienced manager so we have to gamble on managers.

Beautiful words. And pretty soon you'll be gambling on owners.

Welcome to the club lads.

9 hours ago, wardy83 said:

6 points from possible 30 over last 10 games. Do we even deserve to be in the play offs on this sort of form?

Yes.

The relegation play-offs.

Eta: I'm talking shite. On current form Utd would be destined for automatic relegation. Bottom of the form table for both last 6 and last 10 games played.

http://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=scotland2

40 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Yes.

The relegation play-offs.

Eta: I'm talking shite. On current form Utd would be destined for automatic relegation. Bottom of the form table for both last 6 and last 10 games played.

http://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=scotland2

It's not mathematically impossible for us to get relegated but it's close to it.  We would need to lose every single game and other teams would be required to win all or most of theirs whilst not dragging other teams down below them.

Maybe if that were to happen some United fans on here would be willing to question McKinnon's suitability.  Then again maybe not.

The level of 'ability' on display for a few of the goals conceded recently is nothing short of scandalous for any level of professional football. It's an indication of how far fans' expectations have been dragged down recently that nobody even seems that surprised. VdS has been one of our less terrible performers this season but his attempted clearance at Raith's second goal was inexplicable. Rovers' first, and St Mirren's first the other night were not much better.

If only we were watching someone else, it'd be hilarious.

Any on here going to Sean Dillon's testimonial on Tuesday? Feel sorry for him that he is probably going to miss his own game due to injury (the most Sean Dillon thing ever). Also think the crowd will be affected by our recent form and ongoing issues at the club. A pity as it should be a good night in terms of who is playing for us. 

Don't think the crowd will be much more than 3,000 or so.

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

The level of 'ability' on display for a few of the goals conceded recently is nothing short of scandalous for any level of professional football. It's an indication of how far fans' expectations have been dragged down recently that nobody even seems that surprised. VdS has been one of our less terrible performers this season but his attempted clearance at Raith's second goal was inexplicable. Rovers' first, and St Mirren's first the other night were not much better.

If only we were watching someone else, it'd be hilarious.

Before Christmas we were just shit but quite difficult to break down. We are now both shit and terrible at the back.

It's not mathematically impossible for us to get relegated but it's close to it.  We would need to lose every single game and other teams would be required to win all or most of theirs whilst not dragging other teams down below them.
Maybe if that were to happen some United fans on here would be willing to question McKinnon's suitability.  Then again maybe not.

I'm not sure quite what you mean by 'suitability'. On the face of it McKinnon is perfectly suited to what most United fans want; a young ambitious manager, a United man, who is likely, (despite recent results) to achieve at least play off places in his two seasons of championship experience and someone who I imagine isn't on a ludicrous wage.
If by someone suitable you mean someone who will play attractive football and get us 3 points every week, well I'm afraid they're not that easy to come by, especially within the sensible cost structure we are going to have to implement going forward.
I'm under no illusions as to how bad things are at the moment, that the football is garbage and McKinnon has made a whole host of mistakes, but i think it's incredibly naive to want to sack him now.
Someone like Archibald at thistle is a good example, I've seen them play a lot over the past few years because my mates are thistle fans, and there have been times where the football was the hoofball crap we are seeing now and guys were signed who were woeful. But the club recognised he was a young coach who had potential but was going to make errors of judgement and stuck with him, and they are seeing the benefit of it now.
I think right now we need to get behind the manager and the team and be patient, more sackings is only going to lead to a more toxic atmosphere (who do we get in? Mcall, McGhee, Dillon?).
If things haven't changed by a good bit through next season then it may be time to re-assess, but what the club needs now is a bit of stability and a period of low severance costs.

28 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

I'm not sure quite what you mean by 'suitability'. On the face of it McKinnon is perfectly suited to what most United fans want; a young ambitious manager, a United man, who is likely, (despite recent results) to achieve at least play off places in his two seasons of championship experience and someone who I imagine isn't on a ludicrous wage.
If by someone suitable you mean someone who will play attractive football and get us 3 points every week, well I'm afraid they're not that easy to come by, especially within the sensible cost structure we are going to have to implement going forward.
I'm under no illusions as to how bad things are at the moment, that the football is garbage and McKinnon has made a whole host of mistakes, but i think it's incredibly naive to want to sack him now.
Someone like Archibald at thistle is a good example, I've seen them play a lot over the past few years because my mates are thistle fans, and there have been times where the football was the hoofball crap we are seeing now and guys were signed who were woeful. But the club recognised he was a young coach who had potential but was going to make errors of judgement and stuck with him, and they are seeing the benefit of it now.
I think right now we need to get behind the manager and the team and be patient, more sackings is only going to lead to a more toxic atmosphere (who do we get in? Mcall, McGhee, Dillon?).
If things haven't changed by a good bit through next season then it may be time to re-assess, but what the club needs now is a bit of stability and a period of low severance costs.

By suitable I mean someone who is capable of managing the resources they are given; the general acceptance is that we have the second biggest budget in the league by some distance.  The chairman and board are in danger of repeating the mistake that they made with McNamara; if they do it will be a huge problem for the club.

Once again I will repeat that I am not advocating getting rid of McKinnon as things stand, I want to see what happens in the eight remaining league games.

4 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Any on here going to Sean Dillon's testimonial on Tuesday? Feel sorry for him that he is probably going to miss his own game due to injury (the most Sean Dillon thing ever). Also think the crowd will be affected by our recent form and ongoing issues at the club. A pity as it should be a good night in terms of who is playing for us. 

Don't think the crowd will be much more than 3,000 or so.

Am I f**k. I'll post the 15 quid through his door.

Amazingly it's the little things around the club which are driving me up the wall rather than on the field which is just stupefying.

A testimonial against a team we have played 4 times a season forever.

Then the season ticket announcement today complete with inconsistent, meaningless slogans in weird fonts. It's like they gave the marketing jobs to a fucking s1 pupil enterprise project.

Archived