The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

It's still another player taking one of the three spots. Andreu has to play in the 'ten'' regardless and then I'd probably have Van Der Velden next in line there after s he's wasted when not played centrally. Not fussed whether he stays or goes but nice to have good competition. Do agree we need another pace outlet ala Obadayi - just hope they have somewhat of an end product.

Striker who can challenge defenders in the air and hold it up is a must.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Waffelz said:

It's still another player taking one of the three spots. Andreu has to play in the 'ten'' regardless and then I'd probably have Van Der Velden next in line there after s he's wasted when not played centrally. Not fussed whether he stays or goes but nice to have good competition. Do agree we need another pace outlet ala Obadayi - just hope they have somewhat of an end product.

Striker who can challenge defenders in the air and hold it up is a must.

True. I feel a little sorry for Smith, I've been quite impressed with him any time he has played (I was really surprised McKinnon didn't bring him on late in the game on Saturday to stretch things). Andreu isn't getting dropped anytime soon and it looks like for the time being McKinnon is happy playing him, Tope, VdV and Fraser and asking them to rotate positions during each match. 

Signing priorities in January - 

1. Another wide player, a genuine winger, to provide a balance on the wings and another out and out pace option going forward. 
  2. A striker who can effectively hold the ball up and can genuinely compete for the ball in the air. 

GMS on loan

I was having a look for out of contract strikers and there's a few that, were they to forego any idea of decent wages, look quite 'interesting'.  Adebayor, Zamora, Juninho and Berbatov have all been free since the summer and might be getting desperate enough by now.  Some interesting younger players too.

(NB. Not for serious consumption.)

13 minutes ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

Won't be long till January and the Ciftci on loan rumours start again....

Wouldn't be surprised as he doesn't even get on the bench now

I wouldn't take him back. His temperament wouldn't be suited to this division, and even if he was switched on, a player like him would be masking other problems rather than trying to find an overall solution.

2 hours ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

Won't be long till January and the Ciftci on loan rumours start again....

Wouldn't be surprised as he doesn't even get on the bench now

That rumour might have been my fault tbh. Just wishful thinking on my part. Can't see it unless Celtic are willing to pay his wages and he's utterly desperate to play first team football.

On 23 October 2016 at 10:14, ArabianKnight said:

That's the interesting thing about this season.

United by all accounts haven't played particularly great, but have won games ugly and playing terrible.

United have no striker bar a headless chicken. Now does Mckinnon take the gamble in January and invest in a decent forward, who might be the extra cutting edge United needs to start playing well and winning or would adding a striker possibly mean a change of system that could have a negative impact?

Was chatting with my elder son recently and Scott Allan's name came up.  I reckon his career has stalled and I'm not sure if he will play for Celtic again.  A talented lad who got a wee bit to full of himself and has maybe paid the price.

BTW Ciftci and GMS can go f**k themselves.

9 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I wouldn't take him back. His temperament wouldn't be suited to this division, and even if he was switched on, a player like him would be masking other problems rather than trying to find an overall solution.

Masking other problems? 

If he got us promoted I might just cope with that. Not that he's coming back anyway.

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Was chatting with my elder son recently and Scott Allan's name came up.  I reckon his career has stalled and I'm not sure if he will play for Celtic again.  A talented lad who got a wee bit to full of himself and has maybe paid the price.

You realise Allans no longer at Celtic, don't you?

12 hours ago, The DA said:

I was having a look for out of contract strikers and there's a few that, were they to forego any idea of decent wages, look quite 'interesting'.  Adebayor, Zamora, Juninho and Berbatov have all been free since the summer and might be getting desperate enough by now.  Some interesting younger players too.

(NB. Not for serious consumption.)

There's a guy called Bambam on that list. Surely every team in the land would want him whether he's any good or not!?

Michael Higdon's on it as well. Could be worth a shout?

10 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

There's a guy called Bambam on that list. Surely every team in the land would want him whether he's any good or not!?

Michael Higdon's on it as well. Could be worth a shout?

The son of Barney and Betty?

18 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Dearie me, that's a list that sends shivers down the spine. A steaming pile of shite topped off with 'Deeks' Riordan.

There'll be a reason why some of them are valued at more than a million... but have been out of contract for a few months.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

so, Ciftci and GMS can go f**k themselves but you'd take Scott Allan?

Guid ane

Archived