The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

4 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Nice bit of nostalgia for United fans, and Scottish fitba in general, in The Guardian - I'm sure those that lived through these days won't have forgotten it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/19/the-forgotten-story-of-dundee-united-glory-years-under-jim-mclean

I'd take him back for a season or two :ph34r:

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

Posted by Fans United this afternoon (link to Companies House website) - 

Cath Thompson has taken security over Gussie Park, the adjacent car park, the Club Shop and another building (Occupied by DC Painters & Joiners Ltd) in respect of £500,000 of loans she has granted to the club.

The club still own these properties but if an insolvency position arose then Cath is entitled to take her debt out of any sales proceeds or take control of these assets.

The security is in respect of £500k which may or may not include the £200k reported as being received in January 2017 (per year end accounts).

The words I've highlighted there would have me slightly concerned if I was an arab. Which I'm not btw. Thank the Lord and the little baby Jesus.

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Posted by Fans United this afternoon (link to Companies House website) - 

Cath Thompson has taken security over Gussie Park, the adjacent car park, the Club Shop and another building (Occupied by DC Painters & Joiners Ltd) in respect of £500,000 of loans she has granted to the club.

The club still own these properties but if an insolvency position arose then Cath is entitled to take her debt out of any sales proceeds or take control of these assets.

The security is in respect of £500k which may or may not include the £200k reported as being received in January 2017 (per year end accounts).

Are these new loans made now to end of season or existing loans?  ( perhaps on top of £200k that she's put in ?)

if the club was close to the edge shirley the last thing you would be doing would be putting more money in?

i also wonder if they have learned their lessons from last time , and are covering their backs with the securities.

This is like watching all these 'sports journalists' during the Sevco debate giving the impression that they knew what they were talking about when they were really out of their depth.

If she's been able to take a charge over these assets it means only two things. 

1. It's a secured loan rather than an unsecured one; no big deal.

2. More importantly, United have tangible assets that can be used as security.  Some folk were suggesting that we had already 'pawned' these assets.

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

The words I've highlighted there would have me slightly concerned if I was an arab. Which I'm not btw. Thank the Lord and the little baby Jesus.

Standard 'legal jargon' is it not? It probably tells me somewhere in my mortgage that if I become bankrupt something shit happens (but thankfully that won't happen....I think).

27 minutes ago, Reverend Maynard said:

Are these new loans made now to end of season or existing loans?  ( perhaps on top of £200k that she's put in ?)

if the club was close to the edge shirley the last thing you would be doing would be putting more money in?

i also wonder if they have learned their lessons from last time , and are covering their backs with the securities.

I can't claim to have any knowledge of what is going on, just linking to what Fans United have posted on social media. I assume it is under the existing loan though.

On 18/04/2017 at 19:28, GraemePaynesSocks said:

He is an inexperienced manager. What's he done so far? I go at a junior club then a season at Raith....

Jim Mcintyre, Alan Archibald, Tommy Wright who are all doing better than  Mckinnon didnt even manage anyone before getting the jobs they have. (I think)

He's managed Raith Rovers. In this league. Brechin before that. Then juniors before that. So what, 3 years of football management. All the badges (for whatever they are worth) from Largs or wherever.

And as Granny said, he can't even spot when a corner taker can't take corners.

Not one player has improved while he's been here. They've mostly gotten worse.

I hope he has a non promotion clause in his contract...

Jim Mcintyre, Alan Archibald, Tommy Wright who are all doing better than  Mckinnon didnt even manage anyone before getting the jobs they have. (I think)
He's managed Raith Rovers. In this league. Brechin before that. Then juniors before that. So what, 3 years of football management. All the badges (for whatever they are worth) from Largs or wherever.
And as Granny said, he can't even spot when a corner taker can't take corners.
Not one player has improved while he's been here. They've mostly gotten worse.
I hope he has a non promotion clause in his contract...

The fact that some others are "better" than McKinnon doesn't deflect from the fact that he has limited experience as a manager. Most of those named now have more top flight experience than our manager.

Every one of them bar Wright has experienced difficulty during their learning. In fact, Partick fans wanted Archibald sacked this season.

12 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Nice bit of nostalgia for United fans, and Scottish fitba in general, in The Guardian - I'm sure those that lived through these days won't have forgotten it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/19/the-forgotten-story-of-dundee-united-glory-years-under-jim-mclean

Brilliant read. Comments below the article included this "...in Nigeria to be totally "Dundee United" Is slang to be an irredeemable fool."

3 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Brilliant read. Comments below the article included this "...in Nigeria to be totally "Dundee United" Is slang to be an irredeemable fool."

8 hours ago, GraemePaynesSocks said:

The fact that some others are "better" than McKinnon doesn't deflect from the fact that he has limited experience as a manager. Most of those named now have more top flight experience than our manager.

Every one of them bar Wright has experienced difficulty during their learning. In fact, Partick fans wanted Archibald sacked this season.

You've missed my point. 

He's got 3 years experience as a manager. A year of that was in this league last year. Those guys had no managerial experience going into their 'big club' jobs.

3 years doing the same job, albeit for different employers, after being part of that background for 20 or so years, should be viewed as reasonably experienced.

In coaching the foundations of a football player, he should at least know how to spot someone who cant kick a football into the box, or pass it more that half a yard.

Mckinnon has had difficulties, but most of them are due to him playing stupid tactics or players on the wrong positions.

I'm not asking him to be Morinho, but he  really dosent need to be in the Scottish Championship...

3 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Those guys had no managerial experience going into their 'big club' jobs.

This bit's wrong too. Wright had eight years as a manager before going to Saints and McIntyre had previously managed QoTS and Dunfermline.

Archived