The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

Just now, wardy83 said:

Does anyone know if we finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th are the season tickets valid for these games or are they gonna make us pay like cup games through the season?

They won't be valid.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure quite what you mean by 'suitability'. On the face of it McKinnon is perfectly suited to what most United fans want; a young ambitious manager, a United man, who is likely, (despite recent results) to achieve at least play off places in his two seasons of championship experience and someone who I imagine isn't on a ludicrous wage.
If by someone suitable you mean someone who will play attractive football and get us 3 points every week, well I'm afraid they're not that easy to come by, especially within the sensible cost structure we are going to have to implement going forward.
I'm under no illusions as to how bad things are at the moment, that the football is garbage and McKinnon has made a whole host of mistakes, but i think it's incredibly naive to want to sack him now.
Someone like Archibald at thistle is a good example, I've seen them play a lot over the past few years because my mates are thistle fans, and there have been times where the football was the hoofball crap we are seeing now and guys were signed who were woeful. But the club recognised he was a young coach who had potential but was going to make errors of judgement and stuck with him, and they are seeing the benefit of it now.
I think right now we need to get behind the manager and the team and be patient, more sackings is only going to lead to a more toxic atmosphere (who do we get in? Mcall, McGhee, Dillon?).
If things haven't changed by a good bit through next season then it may be time to re-assess, but what the club needs now is a bit of stability and a period of low severance costs.

WHOA! Sensible post alert!

McKinnon has to be given to the end of the season.  I think the issue then is, if as expected, we fall at the first hurdle of the playoffs after limping in to 4th place, do we keep him in light of the McNamara situation?  His team had suffered a fairly alarming drop off in form in the second half of the season 13-14 culminating in the Scottish Cup final loss - everyone now recognises that he could have been punted after that given the players at his disposal but instead he was allowed to carry on signing absolute shite for another 16 months or so.

McKinnon may well learn from his mistakes and go on to be a success but, if somebody else was available in the summer, do we pay out the short term cost of sacking him as opposed to the long term cost of becoming a fixture in the Championship.

7 minutes ago, GraemePaynesSocks said:

If McKinnon leaves us, who are we realistically looking at to manage us?

I don't know the answer to that and I wouldn't expect many on a football forum would; I'd expect the board to have an idea though.

My bigger concern would be the calibre of manager we would be able to attract if we punted McKinnon a third of the way into the season, particularly given the position we would be in the league that would prompt such a decision.

At the end of the 14/15 season the United job would have looked very attractive to a number of managers, by the time we binned McNamara it looked a far less attractive one.

58 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don't know the answer to that and I wouldn't expect many on a football forum would; I'd expect the board to have an idea though.

My bigger concern would be the calibre of manager we would be able to attract if we punted McKinnon a third of the way into the season, particularly given the position we would be in the league that would prompt such a decision.

At the end of the 14/15 season the United job would have looked very attractive to a number of managers, by the time we binned McNamara it looked a far less attractive one.

I still think in Scottish football terms the United post is an attractive one. The chance to restore a club back to the Premiership and one that has a good size fan base would be an attractive one for a few managers looking to either make a name for themselves or restore their reputation. 

Just now, stumigoo said:

I still think in Scottish football terms the United post is an attractive one. The chance to restore a club back to the Premiership and one that has a good size fan base would be an attractive one for a few managers looking to either make a name for themselves or restore their reputation. 

I don't disagree but I think it's a more attractive option at the start of a season than in a situation like when Mixu took over (and we were in the Premiership at that time) and that getting a manager mid season is far more difficult.

5 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

McGhee's your man...

I wonder if the board are constantly looking at potential managers?

I was thinking about Southampton today. Every time they lose a manager, they seem to be able to appoint one who fits into their plan and philosophy. It looks like they are looking at potential candidates over a long period of time which means they reduce the risk of appointing the wrong man.

Just now, GraemePaynesSocks said:

I wonder if the board are constantly looking at potential managers?

I was thinking about Southampton today. Every time they lose a manager, they seem to be able to appoint one who fits into their plan and philosophy. It looks like they are looking at potential candidates over a long period of time which means they reduce the risk of appointing the wrong man.

Seriously, I think a board should always have potential (realistic) managers in mind in the same way a decent manager should always have potential (realistic) signings in mind.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I don't reckon the board have much idea about appointing managers: simply looking at their record to date.

Presently the board is adopting the same approach as our football authorities at the SFA/SPFL. Sitting on their hands, hoping everything goes away.

3 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Don't forget the chance to work with Stephen Thompson.  Who could turn that opportunity down?

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Jim Duffy's success this season will lead to clubs going back to experience. You'll end up with Calderwood or McGhee.

McGhee is an abomination of a manager.  Calderwood would at least bring the opposite problem we currently have, with team selection being a complete lottery as opposed to the depressing predictability of McKinnon.

Archived