The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

5 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I reckon Thompson has seen the really poor recruitment by Mckinnon and not just said "here's the money under the floorboards, pal, on you go". 

Alot of fans seem to have missed this due to their inability to get over the Tim Two and expect him to throw cash about to try and gamble our way back up. And thats after watching the last two tubes spunk huge money on relegating us!

He's not perfect by any means, but he's better than a good lot of other chairmen out there.

A fair point.

As GD mentioned, he has spent most of his tenure trying to sort out the financial shambles caused by his old man, but for some reason ET Is still seen as a hero.

TBS does have his faults, but the positive work he has done should also be recognised.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Waffelz said:

Why are we in such a mess financially even after all the player sales in the last five years? It's fucking mind boggling.

Why?  Because the level of the mess was horrendous.  There is no evidence from the accounts that is going out the club, it seems like everything that came in was used to reduce the debt.  Of course the money spent last season on some of the big name failures wouldn't have helped but that's water under the bridge.

Like I said before, I think that it's a bad business decision for ST not to have speculated a bit during the last window.  I don't think any of us expected to win this league, Hibs were always favourites, but I would have hoped for a reasonably comfortable second.  I hope we can still get that but it's by no means assured.

Why?  Because the level of the mess was horrendous.  There is no evidence from the accounts that is going out the club, it seems like everything that came in was used to reduce the debt.  Of course the money spent last season on some of the big name failures wouldn't have helped but that's water under the bridge.
Like I said before, I think that it's a bad business decision for ST not to have speculated a bit during the last window.  I don't think any of us expected to win this league, Hibs were always favourites, but I would have hoped for a reasonably comfortable second.  I hope we can still get that but it's by no means assured.

Speculated with what? The banks are unlikely to give us cash.

His own money? That would likely come in the form of a loan which would need to be paid back. And you know what United fans are like about that.

Where does this extra cash come from?

Unfortunately TBS has given financial backing to JMac and mixu and it hasn't worked. It won't work this season either cos the quality of hibs' squad is well beyond ours.

No reason at all why Dundee Utd can't go up through play offs. It's definitely a bit of a grind and the SPL team has a big advantage but that's fair enough imo. Hibs showed last season that a decent Championship club can compete with what's in the SPL. 

As people have said, McNamara and Mixu spunked a fair bit of cash between them.  We have also been caught out by tribunals having to spend the best part of half a million on Casilinuovo and Telfer. 

I think Thompson has resigned himself to spending another season in the Championship with a view to outspending the team that come down - there will be increasingly deserved criticism though if the right players arent brought in in the summer.

24 minutes ago, GraemePaynesSocks said:

Speculated with what? The banks are unlikely to give us cash.

His own money? That would likely come in the form of a loan which would need to be paid back. And you know what United fans are like about that.

Where does this extra cash come from?

Unfortunately TBS has given financial backing to JMac and mixu and it hasn't worked. It won't work this season either cos the quality of hibs' squad is well beyond ours.

Loan?  Possibly.

His own money?  Possibly, but best through a rights issue.

You can turn the argument on its head and consider what the financial imlications will be to the club if we don't go up.  I will still buy my season ticket for next season but there may be many that don't and further PATG customers who stay away.

The Fed can fuck off. Running a bus doesn't give you a say in running the club and their attitude and behaviour over years towards club official has been a disgrace. 

But....

This liaison committee is an utter sham. Completely shrouded on secrecy, hand picked independent fans reps, no minutes or agenda published and it would appear no actual liaison happening.

Where's the battle bus Jim?

46 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Any further news on Templeton? People happy if we sign him?

21 goals in 67 games according to his Wiki page.  OK that will be against lower league clubs but it's still not a bad haul.

ETA games for Sevco

According to my Zombie supporting work colleague, he was a bit disappointed when Templeton left Sevco. Apparently plenty ability however has major fitness concerns. Not sure how he would hold up against some of the cloggers in this league

Loan?  Possibly.
His own money?  Possibly, but best through a rights issue.
You can turn the argument on its head and consider what the financial imlications will be to the club if we don't go up.  I will still buy my season ticket for next season but there may be many that don't and further PATG customers who stay away.

Yeah, I don't disagree. My main fear though, is administration or liquidation. I'm happy for the manager to get a budget and stick to it. TBS's job then is to get the right manager.

2 hours ago, GraemePaynesSocks said:

Yeah, I don't disagree. My main fear though, is administration or liquidation. I'm happy for the manager to get a budget and stick to it. TBS's job then is to get the right manager.

I'm not sure where these stories come from, but there is absolutely no reason to think that United are insolvent, quite the opposite. United have posted substantial profits in each of their last four or five years. We'll likely make a loss in the next set of accounts but it will be trivial compared to the accrued profits.

Where we are now - as far as it's possible to determine from the published information - is just about out of debt and likely running at break-even or a small loss. The reason that Thompson's not chucking money at the squad is because he wants to keep it that way rather than running the debt back up. Which seems entirely reasonable to me.

I'm not sure where these stories come from, but there is absolutely no reason to think that United are insolvent, quite the opposite. United have posted substantial profits in each of their last four or five years. We'll likely make a loss in the next set of accounts but it will be trivial compared to the accrued profits.
Where we are now - as far as it's possible to determine from the published information - is just about out of debt and likely running at break-even or a small loss. The reason that Thompson's not chucking money at the squad is because he wants to keep it that way rather than running the debt back up. Which seems entirely reasonable to me.

I wasn't trying to present that as a story. I was attempting to suggest that spending beyond our means might push us towards those situations. That's why I'm happy to see our manager stick to a given budget.

11 minutes ago, GraemePaynesSocks said:

I wasn't trying to present that as a story. I was attempting to suggest that spending beyond our means might push us towards those situations. That's why I'm happy to see our manager stick to a given budget.

And I wasn't suggesting that you were one of the folks touting the story, apologies if it looked that way.

10 minutes ago, (._.) said:

Bank debt, or debt as a whole? As a whole.

Have the 'off the book' creditors been paid back? What the fuck's an 'off the book' creditor of a limited company? You think United have borrowed a tenner from their pal to get a round in and will pay it back next week?

Has Thompson Jnr took all what he says he is due back? Are you asking whether Thompson is personally a creditor? No idea. Doesn't matter - the net level of indebtedness of the Company as published in the accounts includes all debts. Also, has he 'took'? Oooft.

Do you include the 'rent/payment' on purchasing the stadium back as debt? United already own the stadium you silly sausage.

It's easy to ask questions, the more inane the better it seems. Your last question's particularly inane. Well done.

Archived