The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Going for a player that you know you have no chance of getting is deception.  It's also insulting to the fans IMO.

If you're right about the Board's 'strategy' what happens if we don't get money for Robertson?

Another season in this league could see us lose anything between £200k and £300k in ST sales/gate receipts by my reckoning.  In fact I can see a drop off in PATG customers during this season if things don't improve.  It becomes a downward financial spiral that we will struggle to get out of.

I wouldn't call it out and out deception, I think they went for players thinking that they might stand a chance but in all probability knew it would end in failure (but a little bit of good press). My idea about the budgeting was just a shot in the dark but the board must have on their 'wishlist' the windfall from a potential sell-on for Robertson. If that doesn't materialise then I am not sure what the board will do. I do think though that they might view pushing the boat out financially this year as a bigger gamble due to Hibs being in the league. If it was a Caley Thistle or a Hamilton then they might decide a big push is maybe worth the financial risk.

As for attendances I can see them dropping down quite significantly over the next few months. Saturday will show what kind of crowds we might expect (it will be the lowest of the season I think).

2 minutes ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

Thompson has defo just gave up on this season, another year down here then

Might not be a bad strategy to see if we can get up this year on what we have, and if not go at it harder next year sans Hibs' spending power and the thinness of the squad.

Was thinking about the AM conundrum with VDV, Andreau and Cammy Smith, three I think of our most impressive/potentially dangerous players on their day, all vying for the only position it seems any of them are legit at. I remember Sven Goran Eriksson saying that a mistake he made early in his career was trying to fit players into a formation and strategy rather than find the best formation and strategy with the players available. Would it not have been wise to go with a formation that utilised two AMs at a time? A 4-1-4-1, a 4-3-2-1, ... Seems an absolute waste to have VDV benched and Smith off to strut his thing at St Mirren.

30 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I suggested 4-3-2-1 a while back. 

Fraser and Andreu as the 2

Telfer Flood and Murdoch as the 3.

Whilst I always jizz my pants at the thought of the Xmas tree formation, the reality is that nobody uses it (bar Milan a few years ago).  It never seems to work and the inevitable outcome would have been the calamitous pairing of Dixon and Toshney getting even less protection in a team with even less width than they currently have.

Im content seeing Fraser wide right as long as there is a proper wide player on the other side, which, granted, we have hardly seen this season.

21 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Whilst I always jizz my pants at the thought of the Xmas tree formation, the reality is that nobody uses it (bar Milan a few years ago).  It never seems to work and the inevitable outcome would have been the calamitous pairing of Dixon and Toshney getting even less protection in a team with even less width than they currently have.

Part of the 3 is that they cover/offer attacking support wide, either as the individual on either side, or drifting to each side as a unit. You're right it's not widely used, but it just seems bizarre to leave so much talent on the bench, and have someone Ray rates highly (Fraser) out of position.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

I wouldn't call it out and out deception, I think they went for players thinking that they might stand a chance but in all probability knew it would end in failure (but a little bit of good press).

I agree with your point in principle, but the problem for me is that they have lived off what is effectively a falsehood. When you have a target and confirm it, that's fine. When you then find out that target is miles out of your price range, but continue to allow the stories to spread, you are deceiving the fans.

Know a boy that plays for united youth team, he was training with first team today and said we have David Templeton on trial...he's been without a club since being released from the huns

Also new boy has a shite work rate

Sure it won't take a genius to figure out who the youth player is

Dropped him in it imo

On 01/02/2017 at 14:25, Pull My Strings said:

Some amount of whining and over-reacting today. No doubt the same rays of sunshine who predicted we'd struggle to even get a play-off place at the start of the season.

Jesus fuck

The Fed have resigned from the supporters liason group. This is over a failed Q&A session with the chairman. Not a loss as far as im concerned as most of them seem like self important p***ks who think they are speaking for the majority of united supporters despite only having a smallish group

I genuinely don't get the hard time you guys are giving Thompson this season. Over the past 18 months, I understand it certainly, but he's put money where his mouth is this season. If you fail it'll be down to McKinnon and only McKinnon.

Hes already public enemy number 1 with some of the supporters so failure to recruit well in the January window has only increased the pressure on him. Strange that the Thompson Out shouts were strangely quiet throughout the 14 match unbeaten run

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I genuinely don't get the hard time you guys are giving Thompson this season. Over the past 18 months, I understand it certainly, but he's put money where his mouth is this season. If you fail it'll be down to McKinnon and only McKinnon.

I reckon Thompson has seen the really poor recruitment by Mckinnon and not just said "here's the money under the floorboards, pal, on you go". 

Alot of fans seem to have missed this due to their inability to get over the Tim Two and expect him to throw cash about to try and gamble our way back up. And thats after watching the last two tubes spunk huge money on relegating us!

He's not perfect by any means, but he's better than a good lot of other chairmen out there.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I reckon Thompson has seen the really poor recruitment by Mckinnon and not just said "here's the money under the floorboards, pal, on you go". 

Alot of fans seem to have missed this due to their inability to get over the Tim Two and expect him to throw cash about to try and gamble our way back up. And thats after watching the last two tubes spunk huge money on relegating us!

He's not perfect by any means, but he's better than a good lot of other chairmen out there.

100% This.

Archived