The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

7 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

A glittering career.

stats.png

I for one am delighted we have signed someone who played 10,735 minutes of football for Walsall (I used a calculator). 

In a strange way the reaction to this signing is almost worse than if we hadn't signed anyone at all. Looking back though it is hilarious that any United fan genuinely believed we might have managed to get GMS or Ciftci, we couldn't get anywhere near paying the wages that would have been expected of us (plus neither would fancy playing in the Championship).

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, GraemePaynesSocks said:

The last sentence is probably the most important. We need to get used to the fact we're a championship team...

This is true. The management should be looking at more than two players who most people would expect we couldn't afford anyway. 

It's not like there's been a month or anything them to find a few players to improve the squad. 

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

I for one am delighted we have signed someone who played 10,735 minutes of football for Walsall (I used a calculator). 

In a strange way the reaction to this signing is almost worse than if we hadn't signed anyone at all. Looking back though it is hilarious that any United fan genuinely believed we might have managed to get GMS or Ciftci, we couldn't get anywhere near paying the wages that would have been expected of us (plus neither would fancy playing in the Championship).

Why were the club implying to the press we were in for both GMS and Ciftci, then?

5 minutes ago, Kool Keith said:

So they can say that at least they tried before serving you up something that no one is interested in.  Just marketing pish to appease the more easily manipulated, happens all the time in boxing promotion.

Pretty much. But apparently it's the creduility of the fans that's the problem here, not the shameless arsehole who owns the club.

34 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Pretty much. But apparently it's the creduility of the fans that's the problem here, not the shameless arsehole who owns the club.

I've defended Stephen Thompson in the past.  He inherited an absolute mess from his old man and has had to take some tough (and unpopular) decisions to turn it around.  Had he not done so I genuinely think the club could have gone bust.

That said I think his lack of willingness to speculate at this time is a bad business decision.  Fans have been fairly loyal this season but I think that loyalty will disappear if we fail to get promoted and this is seen as being due to a lack of investment in the playing squad.

A further two or three seasons in the Championship could see a huge drop in attendances and, as we have seen with our city neighbours, when you lose paying customers it is not always easy to get them back.

It really shows up the shortcomings of both the chairman and the manager in transfer dealings though. We neither have the cash to spend nor the contacts to get some useful loan deals.

If we do manage to sneak up in the playoff, this squad would be straight back down, and significant spending would be needed to get them ready for the premiership.

More likely is that we'll still be down here next season, and still need to strengthen significantly to challenge for promotion next summer, and again on promotion. 

Its not even as if we have a huge glut of good youngsters coming through.

f**k sake. A mickey mouse signing that will fit in with most of the shite we currently possess. Dont get me wrong, getting shot of Tope, JJ and C Smith wasnt a concern to me and others just as long as we recruited some quality before the window shut. That signing is nothing short of an embarrassment

Why were the club implying to the press we were in for both GMS and Ciftci, then?

Going for someone and getting someone are different. I've no doubt that we approached Celtic for both players but we never stood a chance at getting either. The fact that it then grew arms and legs (in particular on Twitter) has left some people in a state of shock that we haven't ended up signing both players. Those two and Bikey seemed to be the real push in the window and again I have no doubt we approached Bikey. However we have a small budget and are left shopping in the bargain bin (which can sometimes work if you have the contacts).

The board IMO have resigned themselves to another year in the Championship. The optimist in me tells me that they will hope for some Robertson money at the end of the season and that a smaller club gets relegated, one that our budget would be bigger than. We then invest next year in winning the league outright.

The next priority for the board is ensuring that contracts for next year are sorted out as soon as possible.

45 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Going for someone and getting someone are different. I've no doubt that we approached Celtic for both players but we never stood a chance at getting either. The fact that it then grew arms and legs (in particular on Twitter) has left some people in a state of shock that we haven't ended up signing both players. Those two and Bikey seemed to be the real push in the window and again I have no doubt we approached Bikey. However we have a small budget and are left shopping in the bargain bin (which can sometimes work if you have the contacts).

The board IMO have resigned themselves to another year in the Championship. The optimist in me tells me that they will hope for some Robertson money at the end of the season and that a smaller club gets relegated, one that our budget would be bigger than. We then invest next year in winning the league outright.

The next priority for the board is ensuring that contracts for next year are sorted out as soon as possible.

Going for a player that you know you have no chance of getting is deception.  It's also insulting to the fans IMO.

If you're right about the Board's 'strategy' what happens if we don't get money for Robertson?

Another season in this league could see us lose anything between £200k and £300k in ST sales/gate receipts by my reckoning.  In fact I can see a drop off in PATG customers during this season if things don't improve.  It becomes a downward financial spiral that we will struggle to get out of.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Some amount of whining and over-reacting today. No doubt the same rays of sunshine who predicted we'd struggle to even get a play-off place at the start of the season.

The club is a fucking mess. Paper thin squad, no sellable assets and the youth system is fucked.

I can see why people are getting tetchy

Archived