The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

We deserve to have been relegated last season.  I don't think I've encountered a single Arab IRL or on here who thinks otherwise.

Nonetheless we should not simply accept that we are a Championship club.  When you look at the resources that the club has it is reasonable to aim to be an established Premiership club.

Of course we are not alone, the Sevco debacle aside both Hibs and Dundee have been in this league in recent years and both of these clubs deserve to be established Premiership clubs based on their resources; particularly Hibs.

My concern is that the United Board appear to have a level of "acceptance"; this strikes me as an incredibly bad business decision.

This may have a slight element of truth but I think it's simpler than that. 

Alot of out players are 1st division level and it's a bigger rebuild than most thought. 

The weak link players are mostly the ones who are still here from last year and couldn't or wouldn't move on but a few who have been brought in have been poor. That's a bigger concern. Murdoch, Tope, Van Der Velden and Toshney who is being played out of position constantly.

Which leads me on to say I don't think Mckinnon is all he's cracked up to be. He's done OK so far but some of his team selections and formations have been cringeworthy at times.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

This may have a slight element of truth but I think it's simpler than that. 

Alot of out players are 1st division level and it's a bigger rebuild than most thought. 

The weak link players are mostly the ones who are still here from last year and couldn't or wouldn't move on but a few who have been brought in have been poor. That's a bigger concern. Murdoch, Tope, Van Der Velden and Toshney who is being played out of position constantly.

Which leads me on to say I don't think Mckinnon is all he's cracked up to be. He's done OK so far but some of his team selections and formations have been cringeworthy at times.

I'm still on the manager's side, I think that the task as a whole would have been a challenge for anyone (we are losing out on most of our targets to lower level Premiership sides). His recruitment has actually been hampered slightly by the Andreu signing partly because he is automatic pick in the number 10 role that Fraser, VdV and Smith all would feel is their best position. 

In terms of our squad, who would be part of an 8th-10th Premiership side? Probably Bell, Andreu, Edge (on his day), Fraser (on his day), possibly Flood and I would argue Van der Struijk. The rest are so far off the pace that I think that they are on level with Falkirk, QoS and Morton which is no surprise given our recent form and how little it will take for those clubs to be catching us. As I said in an earlier post, this season was always going to be a fairly comfortable one (we are going to be in the playoffs at least) but it is next season and beyond that will be the real challenge. We need to be looking at good pre-contracts from within this division and in the Premiership for players who might not be getting a regular game. 

Despite my support of McKinnon he has been badly caught out on more than a couple of occasions with his tactics.

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Every manager makes some crap signings, and every manager has that one lovechild that he will always squeeze into the team that nobody else can comprehend.

So I'm willing to back McKinnon - he deserves at least a season, though, the few times I have seen United this season, we've looked just as bad as last year.

I think to make the assessment that McKinnon isn't a good manager based on the last few weeks is a tad reactionary. We are still second in the league which as st mirren showed last year is not a given especially with the previous state of the team. I am aware he has made some big mistakes though, the hibs game being the best example.

Thus far this transfer window has been utterly appalling though and it has really reflected poorly on everyone in charge at the club, if McKinnon has made it clear that he was looking to bolster the squad since mikkleson has come in and all we do is release smith and a couple of youngsters then it looks incredibly embarrassing for him.

I think to make the assessment that McKinnon isn't a good manager based on the last few weeks is a tad reactionary. We are still second in the league which as st mirren showed last year is not a given especially with the previous state of the team. I am aware he has made some big mistakes though, the hibs game being the best example.

Thus far this transfer window has been utterly appalling though and it has really reflected poorly on everyone in charge at the club, if McKinnon has made it clear that he was looking to bolster the squad since mikkleson has come in and all we do is release smith and a couple of youngsters then it looks incredibly embarrassing for him.

I think McKinnon has his targets but clubs may be wanting to bring in players to replace the people they are getting rid of. So McKinnon could be waiting till the last few days for them targets, and maybe another Tony Andreu standard signing could be made. No point signing players who aren't good enough, just for the sake of wanting new player in

23 hours ago, chazas_ said:

And Hibs were 2nd in the league before they signed Commons and Humphrey. They're now 8 points clear, as has been kindly pointed out already.

Thanks for that. I'm not suggesting we'll win the league, I'm pointing out that we managed to go top with arguably a weaker squad. To suggest that we're now likely to miss out on the playoffs is a bit of an overreaction.

I haven't said he's a bad manager, I've said he's made some howlers and I don't think he's all that he was lauded to be when he first came in to be honest. He's probably going to be a decent manager for us but no Levein.

This transfer window has been a dissapointing one in my opinion. We desperately need at least one winger and another forward.  Our squad is bloated in midfield with average to meh players (Spittal,Telfer, Murdoch, Van Der Velden, Tope etc) and we are relying too much on Andreu. 

I get its not going to be an instant fix - I just think we should be doing better. Yes, we are second but we've not looked anywhere near convincing enough of the time. We've lost or drawn a lot of games we should be looking to win, in my opinion, due to tactical problems and line ups. And I'm not even talking about the Hibs game. Stuff like bringing on Donaldson with 15 mins to go a few times etc.

I think the board have backed him quite a bit, cash for Tosh and guys like Flood, Edge, VDV and VDS will not be on pennies. The problem is, it looks like to me anyway, the manager has spent the small budget he was given and we need people to move on before we bring anyone else in.

If we went up this season, I'd honestly be worried we would go straight back down again without a huge turnover again.

8 minutes ago, FifeArab said:

Hull accepted the 10 million bid for Andy, we're due 10% If he leaves. That would be some boost to Ray's budget next season plus a decent player now.

Sir Stephen of Thompson will be "rubbing his greasy wee hands together" according to a comment on Facebook :lol:

2 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Leaving for Moldova according to my sources. Leaves us in real trouble if we don't make any moves before Tuesday. Unless we decide it's better to wait and see which players are released then sign them up as un-attached.

2 hours ago, Beardy23 said:

"My sources" :rolleyes:

It's the voices in his head.

So we played the first half of the season with one recognised striker and now that we've finally brought in a second striker (who has not yet had time to prove himself) we may be selling the first one?  If this happens Ray better have a contingency plan and it better be a fucking good one!  If this is Board/money led I would hate to see McKinnon taking the stick for it.

Archived