The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

1 hour ago, powerhouse7 said:

The way Ray is speaking...we will be stuck with Murray or VDV up top till January at least

With the quality of our squad you'd hope we'd be able to muddle along with various attacking midfielders bagging the goals, or filling in up front, but this is a pretty significant failure. Harsh considering the unexpectedly high quality Raymo has managed to bring in, but still.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, banana said:

With the quality of our squad you'd hope we'd be able to muddle along with various attacking midfielders bagging the goals, or filling in up front, but this is a pretty significant failure. Harsh considering the unexpectedly high quality Raymo has managed to bring in, but still.

It is harsh. Given the way he's gone about his business you can only assume that there weren't any strikers available who McKinnon felt were good enough to improve the team. Instead he brought in a top quality goalscoring midfielder. Given the choice between Andreu or someone of the calibre of El Alagui (which is presumably the standard available) you'd have to be mental to go for the latter.

Incidentally, we've scored 22 goals in 10 competitive games this season. It's not like scoring goals has been the problem. 

Yeah agree but thought he might of brought in a striker even on loan from his contacts in England

27 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

It is harsh. Given the way he's gone about his business you can only assume that there weren't any strikers available who McKinnon felt were good enough to improve the team. Instead he brought in a top quality goalscoring midfielder. Given the choice between Andreu or someone of the calibre of El Alagui (which is presumably the standard available) you'd have to be mental to go for the latter.

Incidentally, we've scored 22 goals in 10 competitive games this season. It's not like scoring goals has been the problem. 

For sure, just feels like that last missing component is glaring in comparison to every other position we've got well covered.

Anyone who thinks that we don't need to bring in a striker is fucking crackers.  I accept that McKinnon maybe has his reasons but having the option of Murray and attacking midfielders is simply not enough.  Hopefully McKinnon will find a suitable free agent that he is sufficiently impressed with in the not too distant future.

22 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Anyone who thinks that we don't need to bring in a striker is fucking crackers.  I accept that McKinnon maybe has his reasons but having the option of Murray and attacking midfielders is simply not enough.  Hopefully McKinnon will find a suitable free agent that he is sufficiently impressed with in the not too distant future.

You'd know all about crackers.

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Do you not have the versatility to play up top as well as at centre half?

It's not harsh. He made exactly the same mistake with us last season. Thankfully he pulled a couple of rabbits out of the hat in January.

21 minutes ago, staggy4life said:

Ryan Dow is signing for Ross County today after being on trial the last couple of weeks.

Opinions of him?

I always quite liked him and seem to mind him scoring against us last season.

Never fulfilled his full promise, but will do a good job on his day, which was too infrequent at United.

18 minutes ago, staggy4life said:

Ryan Dow is signing for Ross County today after being on trial the last couple of weeks.

Opinions of him?

He was United's hide and seek champion for the past few years. Absolutely fantastic at hiding on the pitch. 

On his day though he's a bit... meh.

8 hours ago, staggy4life said:

Opinions of him?

Good solid Premiership player. Decent pace and skill, good attitude, never likely to be exceptional.

37 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Surely not. 

Wait, Dan Carmichael? He is a free agent...

I suppose if JJ was expected to make an impact on our winger options, but is now gone, it would make a bit of sense. Still... that would give us about eight AM options and still only one (mediocre) striker :unsure2:

Archived