The Official Dundee United 2016-17 Thread

Blair "Spitz" Spittal seems to have gone backwards, and he wasn't all that to start with. For one thing, he rarely takes anyone on or tries to run beyond the striker. Contrast this with the two goals he scored in the 2-2 derby at the start of last season. Too often he checks out and plays a nothing pass.

The funny thing is that he does seem to contribute. In a terrible team, in a terrible season, he still got a decent number of goals and assists in 15/16. And I think he might have got a couple of assists already this term before playing the final ball for today's second and third goals. Van der Velden also praised Spittal's run that gave him space to score.  

For someone that doesn't seem to do very much he somehow manages to help the cause. He's a mehnigma. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

Something I've noticed about Murray so far this season is despite his "incredible workrate and commitment" he actually never commits himself physically to anything. He might block the odd clearance here and there but he never puts in an actual challenge and totally 'Frasers' himself out of any 50/50. 

He has to be careful - his hair is fragile.

Andreu played well, as did the new defenders (van der Struijk didn't last the whole game). Dixon was okay but Robson would have been a better choice for a game like today's. Peterhead were so deep that we needed energy in the fullback areas to overlap but Dixon did a decent job. VdV was the lone striker.

Cheers, yeah I would much prefer Robson but can't see it happening. Did the other centre half play too?

Can we talk about how god-awful Sean Dillon was when he came on? Scratch that, best not!

Andreu is clearly a good player - a David Fernandez type. The two centre backs were hard to judge, though not great that one was subbed early and the other went off with cramp/hamstring injury.

Indeed, worrying how many of our players were getting cramp, when dominating possession against part-timers.

Games for the rest of the month...

What does everyone expect? I can see us realistically achieving 5 points and hopefully a cup win (I know 7-9 is achievable but I still think we are getting to grips with things at the moment). We had a kind initial set of games and now we have a few really tough matches that will really prove if we have come to terms with what is ahead of us this season.

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 19.39.54.png

Hoping two wins, a draw, and through to semi final of league cup.

Think tho we will draw Falkirk and Dunfermline, and beat Morton twice

See while you typed this, one must presume your sitting at tannadice watching your team struggle?

You are aware that its possible to post on here and go to the game? I do it every week, its really not groundbreaking

As has been mentioned, you always want your team to win however i wouldnt have lost too much sleep had we went out today. We have bigger things to concentrate on this season than this mickey mouse cup. That said, i would be all over an away trip to Wales or Ireland

Glad Spittal got a run out today, hopefully his shiteyness has reminded Mckinnon why hes out the team. A striker is a priority though. Not sure what sort of standard of centre forwards are kicking around on a free

15 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

You are aware that its possible to post on here and go to the game? I do it every week, its really not groundbreaking

As has been mentioned, you always want your team to win however i wouldnt have lost too much sleep had we went out today. We have bigger things to concentrate on this season than this mickey mouse cup. That said, i would be all over an away trip to Wales or Ireland

Glad Spittal got a run out today, hopefully his shiteyness has reminded Mckinnon why hes out the team. A striker is a priority though. Not sure what sort of standard of centre forwards are kicking around on a free

Mate you're a better option than Ginge.

He obviously has his limitations but I like him. Off the top of my head I think he's scored something like 9 in his last 15 or so. He probably doesn't have the all-round game to be the lone striker though and the modern fad of 4-2-3-1 might not bring out the best in him.

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Games for the rest of the month...

What does everyone expect? I can see us realistically achieving 5 points and hopefully a cup win (I know 7-9 is achievable but I still think we are getting to grips with things at the moment). We had a kind initial set of games and now we have a few really tough matches that will really prove if we have come to terms with what is ahead of us this season.

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 19.39.54.png

JS85656631.jpg

Michael Higdon is a free agent. I think he'd do well enough in the Championship

6 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I see the Murray-love has quickly faded away around here.

The headless chicken shitebag act does f**k all for me. Murray is and always has been in the get him to f**k club for me.

12 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Berbatov is apparently on the free agent's list.*

*Disclaimer: I don't actually expect us to sign anyone like that.

Archived