Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

11 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Haha Who's getting worked up? I'd love it if you sign him.

I don't need a crystal ball to tell you he's not worth that sort of outlay at Rangers right now. The fact you and your fellow bears would accept the signing is the reason your "clubs holding company" will go bust again.

Really depends on what his current form is like and you do appear to be getting worked up over what is tabloid speculation.

1 minute ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

that thought briefly crossed my mind at one point too, but then surely Rodgers has a Liverpool connection too if there's anyone there particularly worth taking on loan + Celtic can offer far better prospects of decent performances and exposure in European competition?

Sevco offer a better chance of giving a loan player first team fitba and celtic aren't a club who use loaned players.

42 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

that thought briefly crossed my mind at one point too, but then surely Rodgers has a Liverpool connection too if there's anyone there particularly worth taking on loan + Celtic can offer far better prospects of decent performances and exposure in European competition?

One difference is that Gerrard left amicably and Rodgers was sacked.  Gerrard was also academy manager up until now so he has more recent connections and better knowledge of young players currently at the club. 

All this talk of Gerrardiola and Skrtel and various hot shot Scouse loanees is nothing but moonbeam central to distract the Zombies from the more pressing issues such as Ol' Googly Eyes' and the TOP, Close Bros etc................

I still say that Shteeeeveeeeee won't take up his post, citing family issues and conflict with Mark Allen over the signing of players...

:whistle

Or, Celtic have a deep squad and loan players will struggle to get game time. With us however.....

Or, Celtic have a deep squad and loan players will struggle to get game time. With us however.....

So how does signing players on loan that wouldn't get a game for Celtic get you closer to Celtic?

Was there no loans from Newcastle and Arsenal fairly recently who were utterly garbage?

More sevfer speculation..

Wales international striker Woodburn is one of a number of Anfield players that Gerrard would be keen to bring to Ibrox for the new season.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has already told his former youth coach that he would help him where he could with possible loan players.

So how does signing players on loan that wouldn't get a game for Celtic get you closer to Celtic?  
Was there no loans from Newcastle and Arsenal fairly recently who were utterly garbage?

You’ve missed my point.

Second of your points, grudgingly agreed. But they were before Mark Allen and Stevie. I’d like to think there’s a different due diligence process now.

On the principal issue, loaning clubs like their loaned players to get game time. Can’t remember who but fairly sure there’s a couple of Celtic loanees that haven’t had a chance and their clubs have complained.

Have no idea the specifics but I’m fairly sure Celtic have far more bodies - first team squad players - than we do. Therefore, with us being lesser, there’s a greater chance of the loanee getting the game time that their club and the player want from the exercise.

Therefore in my own little world, with MA and SG and a thin squad, there’s a greater chance of us getting better quality loans who will have a better chance of getting played. Hope that makes sense. It does in my head.

You’ve missed my point.

Second of your points, grudgingly agreed. But they were before Mark Allen and Stevie. I’d like to think there’s a different due diligence process now.

On the principal issue, loaning clubs like their loaned players to get game time. Can’t remember who but fairly sure there’s a couple of Celtic loanees that haven’t had a chance and their clubs have complained.

Have no idea the specifics but I’m fairly sure Celtic have far more bodies - first team squad players - than we do. Therefore, with us being lesser, there’s a greater chance of the loanee getting the game time that their club and the player want from the exercise.

Therefore in my own little world, with MA and SG and a thin squad, there’s a greater chance of us getting better quality loans who will have a better chance of getting played. Hope that makes sense. It does in my head.

The logical conclusion to that is that Livingston would be first in line for loans...

Most bigger clubs I believe have loan deals where you have to pay full wages of the player if they're not playing. That's the way they get their players guaranteed game time.

I'd also add that loaning young players is inherently risky in terms of how good they'll be. Celtic got a great one with Roberts last season, but he was injured and off it this year. Musonda barely kicked a ball for them despite being very highly rated. There's also the very real chance that if loan players do well, they'll either be sold from under you, or recalled.

Again, forgive me for dealing with your post bottom to top, but;

If a loanee does well, that is the whole purpose of the exercise. Everyone’s a winner.

If you are correct on the wage issue then I’d say that any loanees to us are therefore probably near first team picks.

And Livingston, with the greatest of respect, will not have the chance to compete in Europe this year and will probably (tin hats on now chaps) spend the season at the lower end of the table. Not the environment EPL clubs will want for their rising stars, surely?

Again, only an opinion but happy to be corrected.

55 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Gerrard is not pursuing a move for former Liverpool team-mate Martin Skrtel . The defender is not on the list of potential recruits being considered by Rangers. ( Herald )

Obviously saving their magic beans for Torres 

The Daily Rangers and the other rags telling porkies? Surely not. Skrtel is on huge wages in Turkey. Was never going to Greyskull. Do they not understand the realities of modern football? This is 2018. Wages of even average players in top leagues are more than Rangers annual budget. The glory days of the dead club signing International superstars are over for good. Wakey wakey.