Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

6 minutes ago, Blue92 said:

Wasn't there a period of time where the top flight didnt have a sponsor? Anyways it would be hard to be specific in terms of numbers, but surely 2 teams battling is better than 1 team winning by 20 points a season in a commercial sense going forward?

Surely it would be terribly easy if the numbers supported that case?

Let's contrast 2009 when the duopoly was alive and well, with say 2014, when it wasn't.

In terms of sponsorship, TV deal, wealth of clubs in lower divisions and performance of the national team, surely the evidence must be overwhelming that the 2009 picture in each was much rosier than that for 2014? 

It must have been, yes?

Edited by Monkey Tennis

The gap between 1st/2nd in various european leagues;
England-13 pts
Germany-19 pts
France-14 pts
Holland-7 pts
Spain-7 pts
Italy- 4 pts
Scotland- 6 pts
As far as title races go, ours is about as close as it gets, aside from Italy. When you consider that Rangers have been chronic for 75% of the season, and we've suffered from religiously motivated refereeing in  a few games, we could and should be much closer. Add that to the fact we currently look unplayable, and I think it's possible.
Goss is absolutely strolling it, Docherty is looking like a future Scotland captain, Morelos is thriving since he's had the threat of Cummings replacing him and Windass can't stop scoring. We almost bodied the unwashed at Christmas with half of this current team. Two victories against them and the title will be back at its rightful home. The pressure is all on them.
The very worst that should happen is, a Scottish cup win, a single digit loss in the title race, and Aberdeen firmly put back in their diddy box. If Murty achieves all this, the job will be deservedly his.
You really are a disgusting bigot.

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
13 hours ago, WeWereThePeople said:
The gap between 1st/2nd in various european leagues;
England-13 pts
Germany-19 pts
France-14 pts
Holland-7 pts
Spain-7 pts
Italy- 4 pts
Scotland- 6 pts
As far as title races go, ours is about as close as it gets, aside from Italy. When you consider that Rangers have been chronic for 75% of the season, and we've suffered from religiously motivated refereeing in  a few games, we could and should be much closer. Add that to the fact we currently look unplayable, and I think it's possible.
Goss is absolutely strolling it, Docherty is looking like a future Scotland captain, Morelos is thriving since he's had the threat of Cummings replacing him and Windass can't stop scoring. We almost bodied the unwashed at Christmas with half of this current team. Two victories against them and the title will be back at its rightful home. The pressure is all on them.
The very worst that should happen is, a Scottish cup win, a single digit loss in the title race, and Aberdeen firmly put back in their diddy box. If Murty achieves all this, the job will be deservedly his.

You really are a disgusting bigot.

He has to be an alias 

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Rangers challenge will surely benefit Dundee Utd.

Utd's demise is an interesting one. In Rangers' absence they brought in millions of pounds worth of transfer fees. Where did all that money go?

I'm not gloating. I think the league is better with them than without and always enjoy the games against them.

10 hours ago, WeWereThePeople said:

Off the top of my head, better sponsorship, better tv deal, higher profile for Scottish football. In theory, there should also be a trickle down effect for the lower leagues. Having 2 strong teams should also benefit the national team.

Clubs need to move away from relying on TV money to keep them going. Who cares what sort of "profile" Scottish football has? All of these things benefit the Filthy Bigotwhores disproportionately more than they benefit anyone else.

There is literally no difference between now "Celtic will win the league" and previously "Celtic or Rangers will win the league" because Celtic were Rangers and Rangers were Celtic. They're two halves of the same arse that do everything together, share everything together and will only ever do what benefits each other.

17 minutes ago, thepundit said:

Utd's demise is an interesting one. In Rangers' absence they brought in millions of pounds worth of transfer fees. Where did all that money go?

I'm not gloating. I think the league is better with them than without and always enjoy the games against them.

The chairman took the money to repay the debts of his father, I think. The manager also took his cut. 

32 minutes ago, thepundit said:

The one thing that everyone - but Kris Boyd apparently - can be sure of, is that Dundee United's difficulties and Rangers' absence, are utterly unrelated.

34 minutes ago, nsr said:

Clubs need to move away from relying on TV money to keep them going. Who cares what sort of "profile" Scottish football has? All of these things benefit the Filthy Bigotwhores disproportionately more than they benefit anyone else.

There is literally no difference between now "Celtic will win the league" and previously "Celtic or Rangers will win the league" because Celtic were Rangers and Rangers were Celtic. They're two halves of the same arse that do everything together, share everything together and will only ever do what benefits each other.

All absolutely true, but what's also true is that even in the silly narrow terms the Rangers fan imposed, Scottish football did not lose out when the duopoly was broken.  

There are no ways in which its rebirth is good for Scottish football. None.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

All absolutely true, but what's also true is that even in the silly narrow terms the Rangers fan imposed, Scottish football did not lose out when the duopoly was broken.  

There are no ways in which its rebirth is good for Scottish football. None.

This is true. I was unpleasantly surprised that one of my new work colleagues, a Newcastle fan, seemed to have bought into the idea that having "Rangers" "back" in the top flight was a good thing.

I notice it's not just restricted to here though. Italy seems to be the only big league in Europe with anything resembling a title race this year, and that's only because Napoli have put together an incredible run.

5 minutes ago, nsr said:

This is true. I was unpleasantly surprised that one of my new work colleagues, a Newcastle fan, seemed to have bought into the idea that having "Rangers" "back" in the top flight was a good thing.

The sad thing is that it doesn't sound that surprising.

Unless he is fascinated by the subject and has taken a close interest, he'll make the same lazy, mindless assumptions that fools like Alex Rae do on the radio, or that our friend on here did with his 'off the top of my head' drivel.

The myth that we all somehow benefit from having two massive clubs dominating, is remarkably resilient.  Fans of the clubs concerned like it for obvious reasons, but the suggestion that it's good for the wider game bears no scrutiny whatever and it needs challenged each time it staggers to its flimsy feet.

The sad thing is these idiots take their opinion from the views of those down South.

People who would barely bat an eyelid if Scottish football didn't exist at all try and lecture us on what is good for us.  Then 'Rangers men' in the media regurgitate it as gospel.

9 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

These referees that have cost you points through religiously motivated decisions, are they **** or prods. As you’ve a team full of catholics, Declan’s, Sean’s and Docherty’s I can only assume those proddy refs hate you as much as the rest of us.

How did you find out the religion of the Rangers players?

Is there a website or something?

Edited by Amato72

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The sad thing is that it doesn't sound that surprising.

Unless he is fascinated by the subject and has taken a close interest, he'll make the same lazy, mindless assumptions that fools like Alex Rae do on the radio, or that our friend on here did with his 'off the top of my head' drivel.

The myth that we all somehow benefit from having two massive clubs dominating, is remarkably resilient.  Fans of the clubs concerned like it for obvious reasons, but the suggestion that it's good for the wider game bears no scrutiny whatever and it needs challenged each time it staggers to its flimsy feet.

I don't see why Aberdeen can't take points off Celtic or rangers when hibs and killie can do it,for me the duopoly  is a myth.

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I don't see why Aberdeen can't take points off Celtic or rangers when hibs and killie can do it,for me the duopoly  is a myth.

a myth?  Care to look at the winners of the league for the past 30-35 years?