Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

24 minutes ago, bennett said:

Established himself as a first teamer now and a solid defender, not the best on the ball but does his job.

A good old meat-n-tatties centre half that knows how to defend first and foremost. I think this is a good thing. Too much emphasis on everyone being a ball-playing defender as opposed to a ball-winning defender these days. Get one of each and it’s a good combination IMO.

6 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

A good old meat-n-tatties centre half that knows how to defend first and foremost. I think this is a good thing. Too much emphasis on everyone being a ball-playing defender as opposed to a ball-winning defender these days. Get one of each and it’s a good combination IMO.

Agreed.   

I was drawn to Bates' lack of footballing prowess when he first broke through and dismissed him as a donkey.    The Old Firm game was the turning point for me and he's impressed any other time Rangers has been on the tele.  

1 minute ago, PB 4.2 said:

Agreed.   

I was drawn to Bates' lack of footballing prowess when he first broke through and dismissed him as a donkey.    The Old Firm game was the turning point for me and he's impressed any other time Rangers has been on the tele.  

Despite only coming on as a sub, Bates was by far Rangers best player that day. Even when Alves is fit he’d be struggling to get in ahead of Bates if I was picking the team.

The gap between 1st/2nd in various european leagues;

England-13 pts

Germany-19 pts

France-14 pts

Holland-7 pts

Spain-7 pts

Italy- 4 pts

Scotland- 6 pts

As far as title races go, ours is about as close as it gets, aside from Italy. When you consider that Rangers have been chronic for 75% of the season, and we've suffered from religiously motivated refereeing in  a few games, we could and should be much closer. Add that to the fact we currently look unplayable, and I think it's possible.

Goss is absolutely strolling it, Docherty is looking like a future Scotland captain, Morelos is thriving since he's had the threat of Cummings replacing him and Windass can't stop scoring. We almost bodied the unwashed at Christmas with half of this current team. Two victories against them and the title will be back at its rightful home. The pressure is all on them.

The very worst that should happen is, a Scottish cup win, a single digit loss in the title race, and Aberdeen firmly put back in their diddy box. If Murty achieves all this, the job will be deservedly his.

Edited by WeWereThePeople

The gap between 1st/2nd in various european leagues;
England-13 pts
Germany-19 pts
France-14 pts
Holland-7 pts
Spain-7 pts
Italy- 4 pts
Scotland- 6 pts
As far as title races go, ours is about as close as it gets, aside from Italy. When you consider that Rangers have been chronic for 75% of the season, and we've suffered from religiously motivated refereeing in  a few games, we could and should be much closer. Add that to the fact we currently look unplayable, and I think it's possible.
Goss is absolutely strolling it, Docherty is looking like a future Scotland captain, Morelos is thriving since he's had the threat of Cummings replacing him and Windass can't stop scoring. We almost bodied the unwashed at Christmas with half of this current team. Two victories against them and the title will be back at its rightful home. The pressure is all on them.
The very worst that should happen is, a Scottish cup win, a single digit loss in the title race, and Aberdeen firmly put back in their diddy box. If Murty achieves all this, the job will be deservedly his.

Looking at it from outside - you must be absolutely delighted that you avoided Derek McInnes. His utter negativity in the matches v Celtic (Sunday was embarrassing) are the road to nowhere. Good acquisitions by Rangers and team is playing good football.Murty comes over really well - a refreshing change from the previous incumbent.

The deficit is a big ask because having seen Aberdeen's pitiful attempt to derail Celtic it looks as though you will have to beat Celtic twice and hope for a few other shocks. Personally I would love to see things get tight because Rodgers has never been remotely challenged in his time in Scotland and until he is put under pressure we will never know how good he is and how decent these players actually are.

One thing is for sure I don't believe there is that much between the Old Firm - you can also put a line straight through Aberdeen - no bottle on the park and a lack of managerial belief off it.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Looking at it from outside - you must be absolutely delighted that you avoided Derek McInnes. His utter negativity in the matches v Celtic (Sunday was embarrassing) are the road to nowhere. Good acquisitions by Rangers and team is playing good football.Murty comes over really well - a refreshing change from the previous incumbent.

The deficit is a big ask because having seen Aberdeen's pitiful attempt to derail Celtic it looks as though you will have to beat Celtic twice and hope for a few other shocks. Personally I would love to see things get tight because Rodgers has never been remotely challenged in his time in Scotland and until he is put under pressure we will never know how good he is and how decent these players actually are.

One thing is for sure I don't believe there is that much between the Old Firm - you can also put a line straight through Aberdeen - no bottle on the park and a lack of managerial belief off it.

I wanted McInnes at the time, but in hindsight, I was perhaps wrong. I'm still on the fence about Murty, although I agree he comes across well and is doing a good job lately. I'm not sure if he's a tactical genius, or he's just landed lucky by signing 3/4 fantastic players. Probably a mixture of both.

Nice to see a neutral commenting on it without the usual shite you read on here. A title race surely benefits all of Scottish football ultimately.

6 minutes ago, WeWereThePeople said:

Off the top of my head, better sponsorship, better tv deal, higher profile for Scottish football. In theory, there should also be a trickle down effect for the lower leagues. Having 2 strong teams should also benefit the national team.

I said, specifically.

Can you offer me any evidence at all that during the years where the duopoly was broken and therefore absent, any of these areas suffered?

I said, specifically.
Can you offer me any evidence at all that during the years where the duopoly was broken and therefore absent, any of these areas suffered?

Wasn't there a period of time where the top flight didnt have a sponsor? Anyways it would be hard to be specific in terms of numbers, but surely 2 teams battling is better than 1 team winning by 20 points a season in a commercial sense going forward?

In an ideal world it would be good if Aberdeen and the Edinburgh clubs could compete with celtic too but its almost impossible.