France vs Scotland

Romania are ordinary team but have took France right on tonight. Just shows how terrible our team is at the moment. It's intolerable watching knowing were decades away from even having a sniff of a chance to grace a finals.

It's sobering seeing the groups with Albania, Hungary, Iceland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Austria, Slovakia included and we're watching. Football is our national sport how and why are we being left so far behind in development when attendances to population put us in top 10 in Europe our game is not dead so begs the question what is being done.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Romania are ordinary team but have took France right on tonight. Just shows how terrible our team is at the moment. It's intolerable watching knowing were decades away from even having a sniff of a chance to grace a finals. It's sobering seeing the groups with Albania, Hungary, Iceland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Austria, Slovakia included and we're watching. Football is our national sport how and why are we being left so far behind in development when attendances to population put us in top 10 in Europe our game is not dead so begs the question what is being done.

Hopefully after Northern Ireland has played both Poland and Germany it will put some perspective on our current level and maybe pacify the instant results mob somewhat.

Romania are ordinary team but have took France right on tonight. Just shows how terrible our team is at the moment. It's intolerable watching knowing were decades away from even having a sniff of a chance to grace a finals. It's sobering seeing the groups with Albania, Hungary, Iceland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Austria, Slovakia included and we're watching. Football is our national sport how and why are we being left so far behind in development when attendances to population put us in top 10 in Europe our game is not dead so begs the question what is being done.

No, it shows the difference between a friendly and a competitive game.  I tried to read the rest of your post, but the words got a little blurry through all your tears.  We're not "decades away" from qualifying - last year we were one win against Georgia away, and when Euro 2020 comes around we potentially have a better chance.  

Hopefully after Northern Ireland has played both Poland and Germany it will put some perspective on our current level and maybe pacify the instant results mob somewhat.

Instant results? It's been 18 years!

Or maybe we forget about what other nations do and worry about ourselves.  Equating our failure to qualify with other countries in different groups is one of the more stupid things I've heard, and gazing over the fence at England is to blame for a lot of the ills of football in this country.

Northern Ireland could go out and pump Germany 5-0, or could lose by the same scoreline - what does that really say about us?  f**k all.

Anyone deluded to think we will be anywhere near top 2 spots in next campaign needs locked up.

I am for 1 not looking forward to watching England rattle 5 or 6 past us in qualifying as this is the worst squad we have had since berti vogts era

Anyone deluded to think we will be anywhere near top 2 spots in next campaign needs locked up.I am for 1 not looking forward to watching England rattle 5 or 6 past us in qualifying as this is the worst squad we have had since berti vogts era

That's just nonsense when you look at the guys smith n mcleish had to pick from in the 2008 campaign....a squad massively outperforming this one with far worse players. Our biggest problem is a stubborn manager who isn't capable of getting anything like the best out of the players he has available to him. Ni Iceland etc have far poorer players but attain much better results and performances than we do currently. Since the home game v Croatia wgs has taken us backwards at a rate of knots. ETA you're correct though we will be nowhere near qualifying for the wc

Or maybe we forget about what other nations do and worry about ourselves. Equating our failure to qualify with other countries in different groups is one of the more stupid things I've heard, and gazing over the fence at England is to blame for a lot of the ills of football in this country.

Northern Ireland could go out and pump Germany 5-0, or could lose by the same scoreline - what does that really say about us? f**k all.

The post you've quoted was referring to cretins like this:

That's just nonsense when you look at the guys smith n mcleish had to pick from in the 2008 campaign....a squad massively outperforming this one with far worse players. Our biggest problem is a stubborn manager who isn't capable of getting anything like the best out of the players he has available to him. Ni Iceland etc have far poorer players but attain much better results and performances than we do currently. Since the home game v Croatia wgs has taken us backwards at a rate of knots. ETA you're correct though we will be nowhere near qualifying for the wc

Totally ignoring the fact that northern Ireland had a much easier group than us. The point is hopefully once northern Ireland get pumped a couple of times off of comparable opposition, posts like the above cease

The post you've quoted was referring to cretins like this:

Totally ignoring the fact that northern Ireland had a much easier group than us. The point is hopefully once northern Ireland get pumped a couple of times off of comparable opposition, posts like the above cease

They're 12 games unbeaten....we needed a deflection to struggle to a win against Georgia. There is norhing about our last campaign to support the belief that we could have replicated their results.They are a limited group of players achieving the absolute maximum under their manager. Can anyone honestly realistically say that wgs is getting the very best from the group of players available to him?? Really?? ETA Iceland had a much harder group than us and are at the tournament with a manager we rejected for Craig levein. Yes we don't have world beaters to pick from but the idea that we are making the best of our resources is just risible

They're 12 games unbeaten....we needed a deflection to struggle to a win against Georgia. There is norhing about our last campaign to support the belief that we could have replicated their results.They are a limited group of players achieving the absolute maximum under their manager. Can anyone honestly realistically say that wgs is getting the very best from the group of players available to him?? Really??

Let's just see how they get on against Poland and Germany. If they better our results I'll concede your point

Albania and Romania are comfortably better than us going on their performances against France.

Ireland beat Germany and we beat Ireland.  Does that make us better than Germany?  Or are we going all quantum because Germany beat us too, meaning that we're both better and worse than Germany?  Confusing.

Ireland beat Germany and we beat Ireland.  Does that make us better than Germany?  Or are we going all quantum because Germany beat us too, meaning that we're both better and worse than Germany?  Confusing.

Not comparable considering we played France a couple of weeks ago and got utterly trounced from the first whistle. The two teams I mentioned have at least given them a game and have both been close to getting a result. It looked like men against boys in our game.

Not comparable considering we played France a couple of weeks ago and got utterly trounced from the first whistle. The two teams I mentioned have at least given them a game and have both been close to getting a result. It looked like men against boys in our game.

None of it is comparable.  You can't draw direct comparisons between Albania, Romania and ourselves based on all three sides playing France in completely different situations.

None of it is comparable.  You can't draw direct comparisons between Albania, Romania and ourselves based on all three sides playing France in completely different situations.

France skipped past out players like they weren't there. That is basic football ability. Unless you are suggesting because it is a friendly we weren't trying. Which I doubt given under Strachan it is about the only thing we have actually done well at.

France skipped past out players like they weren't there. That is basic football ability. Unless you are suggesting because it is a friendly we weren't trying. Which I doubt given under Strachan it is about the only thing we have actually done well at.

Maybe, maybe not.  But if you think that every little variable that makes a game of football was identical between a middle group game of a tournament in their home country and a drab pre-tournament friendly against relative cannon fodder, then...good for you, I guess?

Anyway, France ended up pumping Albania, so I guess you can rest more easy now that we're not that far behind them, eh?

Yes you bloody well can. Where Albania and Romania's objectives are to try and get out of the group, their performances against France dictate that they are clearly in much better shape not only now, but going forward in the WC qualifiers, something that clearly was a million miles away from ANY player or manager connected to that utter shambles of a friendly. Or indeed, any attempt to learn lessons from an absolutely botched campaign from half-time in Dublin.

What exactly is it that these other small(er) teams know about the big-guns, and how not to be shite against them, that we appear not to? These are varaiables which determine legitimate comparisons, and the biggest one i have is that i've now seen two teams probably slightly below Scotland in terms of ability, give an extremely bland France two very testing matches by appearing first and foremost to play like they cared, and secondly, like they were set up to combat them. For this, Strachan has either willingly selected a team with complete disregard to competing, or either is delusional about what great, unstoppable teams look like. Even Levein almost got the second half against Spain right, for fucks sake.

Archived