Edinburgh City

The chat in the pub tonight was that GJ wanted/wants to resign Riordan but after discussion with the DOF and Board he won't get his wish to sign him, JJ thinks he is bad news. :rolleyes:, if true that's a bit rich after signing a sex offender.

The writing is on the wall for the present manager if he doesn't get a win next week against Berwick Rangers. 

Sad to see city this way. That's what happens when you let guys who genuinely care for the club go and flood it with so called better players (on paper) but with little or no care for the badge and the club. "Championship club within 5 years" said the new chairman...... I'll have some of the glue he's been sniffing please! 

Can't agree more with earlier post. We looked completely lost today. Thought Thompson was harshly dealt with as he st least looked as though he was playing for shirt. Not sure why Caddow was replaced so early especially when it would have been better swapping Moses for Crimes.
Saw Allum and Guthrie talking to a few players and others,  boy how City could do with them. I wonder what they thought? Must be laughing seeing as they have a cracking Irn Bru  tie next week against Linfield at home. Heard some good things about the Spartans team this season. Might think about going see them in this game to see how they play.

From where I was sitting Thomson's first foul was a bad one and the second was just daft, he should be clever enough to keep himself on the park. I thought he started well and then didn't do anything of note when he went to right wing back.

I always really liked Guthrie and felt he should have been kept on, Allum probably needed to go as he was a high earner and not playing.

Not seen Spartans this season but if they've anything about them they'd pump us.

The chat in the pub tonight was that GJ wanted/wants to resign Riordan but after discussion with the DOF and Board he won't get his wish to sign him, JJ thinks he is bad news. :rolleyes:, if true that's a bit rich after signing a sex offender.
The writing is on the wall for the present manager if he doesn't get a win next week against Berwick Rangers. 

I like Jardine and don't want him sacked but there's no way the board expected us to be in this position. It would be interesting to know what JJ's role is in the setup and how much input he has into signings and team selection.

Club has forgotten already how and why they became successful. Hard work and guys that cared from volunteers, fans, committee all the way through to players. Complete disconnect. And the real worry is is there enough "dig" to get themselves out of this awful start. Ability is great but you earn the right to play.

1 hour ago, Leonard-Spencer said:

Club has forgotten already how and why they became successful. Hard work and guys that cared from volunteers, fans, committee all the way through to players. Complete disconnect. And the real worry is is there enough "dig" to get themselves out of this awful start. Ability is great but you earn the right to play.

As an outsider who watched City now and again in the EOSL and LL I would agree with that, it seemed a really tight squad of players. A lot of that squad have now gone maybe too much change at the one time. Dougie and Joe retiring were big blows for City.

I think the 'earn the right to play point' is a good one. My concern is that, on some level, people at the club felt all the hard work was done last year and that this year we could kick on. Fine there are some talented lads in the team but they still need to win their individual battles, they still need to work hard to keep the shape.

As an outsider who watched City now and again in the EOSL and LL I would agree with that, it seemed a really tight squad of players. A lot of that squad have now gone maybe too much change at the one time. Dougie and Joe retiring were big blows for City.

Aye 2 huge losses no doubt. Yesterday was the first time players were obviously having a go at each other. Thomson, Beattie and Walker all went right through folk, which is fine as long as it gets a reaction and isn't just people letting their frustrations get the better of them.

6 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

Aye 2 huge losses no doubt. Yesterday was the first time players were obviously having a go at each other. Thomson, Beattie and Walker all went right through folk, which is fine as long as it gets a reaction and isn't just people letting their frustrations get the better of them.

Thommo and Beattie have been / still are, great players. For me our two best players so far this season, both winners and entitled to let off some steam.

Joe Mbu.  A massive loss for city.  Pity we can't get him back in January or whenever he's fit enough to play!!!

Thommo and Beattie have been / still are, great players. For me our two best players so far this season, both winners and entitled to let off some steam.
Joe Mbu.  A massive loss for city.  Pity we can't get him back in January or whenever he's fit enough to play!!!

Think that's being a wee bit generous to Thomson, who for me has looked no better than a slightly above average league 2 midfielder. Maybe he's being held to a higher standard because of what the club risked to bring him in but he'll just have to deal with that.

Aye like I said, no issue with guys being pissed off but it needs to be done in a way that gets the team closer to playing how they can.

Agree on Beattie, I think he's done well.

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 22:20, tamthebam said:

If City had a shirt that read "Blake 7"

That would have been gold and may have sent your season into orbit. As it is there will be plenty of power struggles between now and the end of the season as you seek to rescue yourselves from the terminal position you find the team in at this moment.

18 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Apparently we drew 2-2 with Arbroath in a friendly on Friday night. Tremble Berwick mortals, the only way is up for the MIGHTY City...

I don't know why the club didn't put that on twitter, some people would be interested to hear that!

I'm just delighted to hear we scored two goals......and in the one game. Amazing!

Edited by Tenkay

I don't know why the club didn't put that on twitter, some people would be interested to hear that!
I'm just delighted to hear we scored two goals......and in the one game. Amazing!

The obvious concern is that we've used up all our goals for the next month or so........

Below is the email I sent to the chairman earlier today with some feedback from the supporters association. Some of you will already have seen this but if anyone wants to get involved or has anything they want to raise then just hit me up. Feel free to let me/us know what you think of the suggestions as well.

Hi Jim,

Hope all is well and you are enjoying having 3 points on the board after yesterday.

Just wanted to drop you a quick email with some of the issues that have been raised through the supporters association, nothing urgent but be interesting to hear the board's thoughts.

Ainslie Park:
General consensus is that Ainslie is far better for families but the lack of somewhere to meet (and drink) pre-match for home and away fans means that something is missing compared to Meadowbank. Personally it was great having a bit of patter in the Safari Lounge or the Artisan before the walk to the ground but I accept we are constrained by the location. The obvious concern is that pre-match is a big part of the experience and if this is lacking it makes casual fans less likely to return and away fans less likely to visit again. Is there something we can do with the supporters club or a pub in Stockbridge where we could arrange a bus to take people directly to the ground?

How feasible is it to open up the area behind the goal that is currently closed off? I know it must be an SPFL rule but if there is something that can be done then we feel it is worth exploring. Being able to stand behind the goal your team is shooting toward and then changing at half time would be a nice gimmick and provides a good visual for anyone catching the highlights. It would also allow the stand to be more 'family friendly' with the areas behind the goal designed for the, erm, less family friendly supporter.........

Can we make use of the 5 a side area next to the food stand? A beat the goalie or crossbar challenge with say it being £1 for 5 goes and the proceeds going to charity (fans at the game could vote for the charity of the week). Could do this before the game and at half time. It would be another reason to bring your kids along, it would be good PR for the club and we could help support some worthy causes.

Increasing the Crowd:
Yesterday we were hovering around the 300 mark and that was on a relatively sunny autumnal day, we all know that will drop in a frozen December. Have we ever looked at exploiting the tourist market in Edinburgh? I know Hearts and Hibs are famous names and massive draws but can we be a bit smarter. How about asking Steven at Football Nation and 6 Yard Box about the feasibility of him selling tickets in his store(s). I know anecdotally that he does very well out of tourists wanting any sort of Edinburgh football top and isn't allowed to sell Hearts or Hibs, why not have posters up in his shops advertising our next fixture with the ability to buy tickets there and then? There could be a deal on if you buy a piece of City merchandise you can buy an adult ticket for £10 or kids for £5 for example, we could even provide printed instructions on how to get to the ground from famous Edinburgh tourist landmarks. I'm using Football Nation and 6 Yard Box as examples but the theory works for other shops/locations as well, I'm not saying Ainslie Park will be added to the Lonely Planet guide to Edinburgh but I know if I went to a city this is something I'd love.

Like I said nothing urgent but let us know what you think. Like everyone involved in the club I am constrained by work commitments but I am happy to help wherever possible.

All the best and Forza CIty

Ally

Pity you didn't add "and put the bloody black and white corner flags on the poles for our home matches" too.

GRUMP! GRIPE! FUME!

Glad we got a win. I was almost tempted to do a Barry Fry and pee in all four corners of the pitch to lift the curse of Ainslie Park. Mind you, I might still do that.

14 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I was almost tempted to do a Barry Fry and pee in all four corners of the pitch to lift the curse of Ainslie Park. Mind you, I might still do that.

Best wait until the ball is up the other end, though.