Edinburgh City

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No doubt he's not just a decent player, he'll be a very good player, season changing though? Nut.

It seems like an unnecessary move for City I think. Atleast you can see why Clyde threw their morals out the window by signing Goodwillie, even if he is another player I wouldn't want playing for us.

Have any Clyde fans refused to go back to watch their club? 

5 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

I can assure you I was absolutely buzzing for the new season mate. I have made my choice that I do not wish to contribute to his wages, so whilst he is employed by City I will not be putting money into the club. Simple as that.

You did say he is 2nd best player in the league but won't go back for obvious reasons. As I've stated I'm sure club officials would have thought this all through so if ye were a true fan you'd respect their decision.

But I suppose there's always Ferguson Park bud it's no that far away. :thumsup2

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

obviously probably one of the best options you guys could get for that area of the park but he's a right back

Hasn't played right back for years. He's generally played wide right in a midfield four or wide right of a front three.

1 minute ago, newcastle broon said:

So yer saying he's not good at fitba

then..... 

I'm no defending the guy but surely you've got to trust the officials of ECFC many of whom are decent guys you'll have met with the decision on this one. 

Difference is the novelty of the jump from LL to SPFL is wearing off and this I'm no going back attitude reeks. 

Ok so I've been going 20+ years. You don't hang around a small club like City and not end up on the committee so yes I have been involved in running the club. One of the successes of Edinburgh City has been the distance between the club officials and those running the football. In my time at the club I can only think of a few occasions when we intervened on playing issues, and each and every time it was to protect the club, it's reputation and our own outlook of things that are bigger than football. 

That space afforded to managers has seen a very low turnover on the coaching side if only that was the case at all clubs, eh Newcy. So it seems new and old City fans have similar sensibilities, a lesson for the newbies running the club this isn't a mini Hearts or Hibs, it is a very different animal. Whilst realising the club needed to be run more professionally, I had hoped that certain aspects pre SPFL City would be retained. We have come as far as we have without selling our souls for success, yes there have been ups and downs, but we got there on our own terms.

9 minutes ago, CitizenSmith said:

Ok so I've been going 20+ years. You don't hang around a small club like City and not end up on the committee so yes I have been involved in running the club. One of the successes of Edinburgh City has been the distance between the club officials and those running the football. In my time at the club I can only think of a few occasions when we intervened on playing issues, and each and every time it was to protect the club, it's reputation and our own outlook of things that are bigger than football. 

That space afforded to managers has seen a very low turnover on the coaching side if only that was the case at all clubs, eh Newcy. So it seems new and old City fans have similar sensibilities, a lesson for the newbies running the club this isn't a mini Hearts or Hibs, it is a very different animal. Whilst realising the club needed to be run more professionally, I had hoped that certain aspects pre SPFL City would be retained. We have come as far as we have without selling our souls for success, yes there have been ups and downs, but we got there on our own terms.

Fair enough respect to you for going for years. One of the very few then 8)

Would the committee no have had a meeting aboot this signing then? 

No need to be sarcastic aboot the team I follow either :offtopic:lol:

Not sure what or who yer getting at selling souls up downs and own terms? 

Edited by newcastle broon

14 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Fair enough respect to you for going for years. One of the very few then 8)

Would the committee no have had a meeting aboot this signing then? 

No need to be sarcastic aboot the team I follow either :offtopic:lol:

Not sure what or who yer getting at selling souls up downs and own terms? 

Don't worry only the one dig at your club, lighthearted enough! I think the guys that have come in and the oldies that are still around running the club, have all been doing a great job the profile and perception of the club is as good as you could hope for. At this stage of our development, one year in having acquired a decent following, about to move home, looking to build on that first season, why throw away all that good work to sign one player. Sorry but doesn't make sense. I really hope this isn't true.

Have any Clyde fans refused to go back to watch their club? 

Many have and are still continuing to do so. I'm sorry but proper fans stick by the club and Goodwillie. He's been punished and is still in the process of appealing his case. He saved us from relegation and it's as simple as that. You can't tell me you wouldn't want your club to sign him if the opportunity came about to keep your club afloat as the last opportunity to save us cause let's face it if we went down we were screwed.

I'm not exactly happy myself but he played for Arniston, Newtongrange and Kelty and I would have thought their committees and players would have had their own doubts. 

I'm sure they would have and I think there's two parts to this. Your own personal feelings (and mine are that I can't bring myself to pay his wages or cheer him on) and then the reputational risk to all the goodwill the club has created, the MO is clearly to attract people, families, who are priced out of Hearts and Hibs. How can you ask parents to bring their kids along with him in the side?

Having said that I'm sure the club will have weighed up the risk against his impact as a player and reckon they'll get away with it.

I'm sure they would have and I think there's two parts to this. Your own personal feelings (and mine are that I can't bring myself to pay his wages or cheer him on) and then the reputational risk to all the goodwill the club has created, the MO is clearly to attract people, families, who are priced out of Hearts and Hibs. How can you ask parents to bring their kids along with him in the side?

Having said that I'm sure the club will have weighed up the risk against his impact as a player and reckon they'll get away with it.

I've been to games involving Arniston, Nitten and Kelty with my kids there knowing full well that Craig Thomson will be playing.

He was deemed at the time to not need any specific requirements to keep him away from children.

The biggest risk to my children at games he plays in is middle aged moron's in the crowd thinking it's acceptable to call someone a paedo c**t in front of children

I've been to games involving Arniston, Nitten and Kelty with my kids there knowing full well that Craig Thomson will be playing.

He was deemed at the time to not need any specific requirements to keep him away from children.

The biggest risk to my children at games he plays in is middle aged moron's in the crowd thinking it's acceptable to call someone a paedo c**t in front of children

Totally your choice and I respect that. I'm not middle aged and I wouldn't shout paedo c**t at anyone