Edinburgh City

46 minutes ago, EmbraJam said:

Given it'll be the Citizens last game at Meadowbank, any requests for our resident DJ? I've assumed it'll be the usual 80s classics but there must be some apt tunes out there befitting of the occasion?

On 26/04/2017 at 13:53, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Leave Waverley by the Big Steps up to Princes St. Head east onto Waterloo Pl ie straight ahead past big station hotel heading away from centre. Waterloo Pl turns into London Rd eventually, lots of pubs here. Stadium wee bit further in past retail park. Maybe 25-30 mins walk in total. Quite scenic looking over to Arthur's Seat and Holyrood.

Lots of buses too. 44 or 26 quite frequent from Princes St. Few others besides. A bus with Tranent or Musselburgh on the board will be a good bet.

Enjoy your visit!

On 26/04/2017 at 14:07, tamthebam said:

nobody told you about Waverley's exit onto Calton Road then... saves a wee bit of time but doesn't have the escalators for the unfit. 

you can also re-enact the Trainspotting chase scene where Renton gets hit by a car under the Regent Bridge if that's your thing. 

On 26/04/2017 at 19:12, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

My way was taking into account the needs of an infrequent visitor to our fine city. Ease of navigation. Scenery and landmarks via an avenue of parks and trees. Proximity to drinking establishments. The tour bus route but pretty direct with it.

"Custom designed for their needs" - as Mikey Forrester may say.

But aye crack on down some back roads past a couple of mini cab offices, a Hoover repair shop and a dodgy night club, remembering to avoid the bird poop under the railway arches if you want to save five minutes. Say hi to the Queen as you pass her back gate.

Bloody men and discussions about directions, honestly, what are we like.

On 26/04/2017 at 22:01, cowdenbeath said:

The way I go is up Carton Road exiting just at the St James Centre, past the Playhouse then down London Road saves getting stuck in the crowds on Princes Street. Still see the avenue of parks and trees:P

An alternative is going out the main exit on Princes Street and then on to Regents Road and down that way. You can of course be a lazy barsteward and get the bus down:lol:

Thanks a lot guys!

Given it'll be the Citizens last game at Meadowbank, any requests for our resident DJ? I've assumed it'll be the usual 80s classics but there must be some apt tunes out there befitting of the occasion?

Beautiful sunday.

26 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Dougie Gair was top scorer in the league with 9, See 6 and Beattie with 4. Don't know overall Scrouge 1928 would be the man for that.

Cheers, not the best return from Beattie considering Riordan has got 3 goals and a couple of assists in his last 5-6 games, he has been a good signing for City and came in at a critical time and done his bit, just a pity that overhead kick never went from him yesterday  :)

i was at the first City game at Meadowbank over 20 years ago which was a 1-0 victory over Selkirk. I believe the talented but maverick Tam Nolan scored a suspiciously offside goal. Charlie Kivlin, a City legend, would have been in the team that day and was present at Meadowbank yesterday. 

The last City game at Meadowbank saw the talented but maverick Derek Riordan score a bloody fine not offside goal in a 1-0 win against a team beginning with "S" watched by Selkirk legend Keith Anderson. 

There's a lot of familiar grounds to me that have disappeared during my time watching football- Kilbowie, Boghead, Douglas Park, Muirton Park, Broomfield, Brockville, Firs Park, Annfield, Bayview as well as non-SFL grounds- Victoria Park, Newtongrange, Eastfield Penicuik, Kirky Rob Roy, Benburb, Countess Park Dunbar, Ettrick Park, Selkirk, City Park Spartans (ours originally!!), Polo Park Stoneywood, So perhaps I'm less affected by the loss of Meadowbank Stadium although I did have a wee tear in my eye at the final whistle.  

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

i was at the first City game at Meadowbank over 20 years ago which was a 1-0 victory over Selkirk. I believe the talented but maverick Tam Nolan scored a suspiciously offside goal. Charlie Kivlin, a City legend, would have been in the team that day and was present at Meadowbank yesterday. 

The last City game at Meadowbank saw the talented but maverick Derek Riordan score a bloody fine not offside goal in a 1-0 win against a team beginning with "S" watched by Selkirk legend Keith Anderson. 

There's a lot of familiar grounds to me that have disappeared during my time watching football- Kilbowie, Boghead, Douglas Park, Muirton Park, Broomfield, Brockville, Firs Park, Annfield, Bayview as well as non-SFL grounds- Victoria Park, Newtongrange, Eastfield Penicuik, Kirky Rob Roy, Benburb, Countess Park Dunbar, Ettrick Park, Selkirk, City Park Spartans (ours originally!!), Polo Park Stoneywood, So perhaps I'm less affected by the loss of Meadowbank Stadium although I did have a wee tear in my eye at the final whistle.  

God Tam Nolan a blast from the past!

I was at Meadowbank's last game at the Stadium v Stenny back in 95, also was there for Livi's last ever game there (a reserve game v Cowden) the same year.

Good to hear Keith Anderson is still on the go haven't seen him for ages.

5 hours ago, the philosopher said:

I was there for the Commonwealth games - brilliant.

BUT it's dated now.

Long term be good for Edinburgh City if they are  still gonna put a pitch in the middle

What ones 1970 or 86:P