Edinburgh City

At least the other results went our way. The dream (well my personal dream) was finishing above Clyde but looks like I'll be cheering them on on Tuesday against Cowden. Sounds like we make a few stupid mistakes today.

Your keeper was badly at fault for the Clyde second goal. It did cancel out the gift we gave you guys when our centre backs were caught snoozing. Allan done well to keep his composure and score. Didn't really notice Riordan at all and no surprise he was subbed for Beattie. Who also done nothing but throw his weight around. Allan was the best of strikers and involved all the attacking chances you had.

Mbu was solid at the back but the rest of your defense weren't as impressive when we put some pressure on in the second half.

At least it was a much more open game and nowhere as awful as the other three games between the sides. Hopefully we can get a win on Tues which should make us both safe. An away day Edinburgh is pretty decent even if the football is rotten.

Your keeper was badly at fault for the Clyde second goal. It did cancel out the gift we gave you guys when our centre backs were caught snoozing. Allan done well to keep his composure and score. Didn't really notice Riordan at all and no surprise he was subbed for Beattie. Who also done nothing but throw his weight around. Allan was the best of strikers and involved all the attacking chances you had.

Mbu was solid at the back but the rest of your defense weren't as impressive when we put some pressure on in the second half.

At least it was a much more open game and nowhere as awful as the other three games between the sides. Hopefully we can get a win on Tues which should make us both safe. An away day Edinburgh is pretty decent even if the football is rotten.

Aye it was his error that led to Berwick's equaliser mid week as well. To be fair he's been solid for months before that. Allan looks a good player from what I've seen, been unlucky with injuries previously so hopefully he can kick on now.

On 17/03/2017 at 03:39, Mr Blobby said:

A few minor alterations would be required to bring the feature up to date. namely the address of the SFA from Park Gardens to Hampden Park.

That AWOL was first released at a home game, though I have no idea who we played. But after the match the referee was spotted reading it in the lounge of the Golden Gates. He complained about the referee doll thing - not because he was offended but because he claimed we had got his lodge number wrong!

I have the match reports for those first two home matches of the 188/89 season against Stirling Albion and Ayr United. Unfortunately the author (David Baxter?) doesn't give the refs' names (Shame on you Dave!). 

Perhaps these reports will jog your memory either way and I'll try to tie it in with Edinburgh City so as it doesn't go too far off topic here.

Meadowbank Thistle 2-1 Stirling Albion. "The first half of the Stirling Albion Skol Cup tie contained much good football with the emphasis very much on attack. Perhaps the only criticism would be that the players ran out of energy in the second half, which was something of an anti-climax. Adrian Sprott held centre stage in the early minutes and it was fitting that he and Stevie Logan - Thistle's best players - set up the opening goal in the seventh minute. Walker sent Sprott clear on the left flank. The ex-Accie beat his man and crossed deep to the far post where Logan headed back to Alan Prentice, and the midfielder's 12 yard volley beat Graham with ease. Thistle then squandered three excellent chances  - one when Mcgachie rounded the 'keeper only to duff his cross initially and then fail to score with a shot when he got a second bite of the cherry. Brian Kemp punished Thistle by equalising in the 20th minute when he met a cross from the right and hooked the ball home. Ex-Ranger Gordon Smith almost put Albion ahead on the half hour but Thistle had Logan to thank for clearing his lines. Just when it looked like there would be no time for further first half scoring, Neil Irvine shot Thistle ahead with an unbelievable strike. From 20 yards out, he unleashed a tremendous shot into the top left hand corner of the goal. The biggest drama of the second half came two minutes from time when Sprott was sent off for a second booking. Albion tried hard to take advantage of Thistle's misfortune but time was called with Jags still 2-1 ahead. [It was later announced that Meadowbank Thistle supporter and regular follower of the club Thomas Shiels from East Calder, who attended the Stirling match died a few days later]

What do you lads prefer by the way.

Obviously pretty much romped the LL and now you find yourself 9th and in and about the relegation zone in L2.

More enjoyable because you're at a higher level or do any of you wish you were back watching a winning team scoring loads every week?

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Obviously pretty much romped the LL and now you find yourself 9th and in and about the relegation zone in L2.

More enjoyable because you're at a higher level or do any of you wish you were back watching a winning team scoring loads every week?

Took a long time for Edinburgh City to make their way into the Scottish League don't you think?. They are hoping to progress forward to become an established Scottish Professional Football League club which so many of the players and staff at Edinburgh City have worked years to achieve.  So I'd say you'd probably get a resounding reply from everyone concerned with the club for the first one, "more enjoyable because you're at a higher level". Hope that helps!

3 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Took in the EOS Qualifying Cup Final at the Oriam today for a scouting mission and running the ruler over the Spartans performance against Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale.

Spotted a few familiar Edinburgh City faces in the crowd but one stood out for me. 

Ousy See at the Oriam during the East of Scotland Qualifying Cup Final match between Spartans and Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale.JPG

naw, sorry, don't recognise the bugger!! :lol:

anyway he's about to be swallowed by a black hole behind him (or free transfer to the Juniors as we call it....!)

40 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I miss the LL in some ways because it was friendlier and there were less miserable b*****ds around showering abuse on their teams (and in the case of the legendary Sir Peter of Whitehill you sort of knew he'd been there and done that).

i was reading also that the Shire fans seem to enjoy the fact that they only play teams twice a season in the Lowland League. Forfar, for example, must be sick of the sight of us by now..  

On the other hand we're a Scottish Football League Club with all the kudos that is attached to it. And Spartans aren't.

I suppose we're still living the dream and it might take a few seasons (if we get that many) before cynicism kicks in and we join the rest of you miserable D3 b*****ds in heaping abuse on our team each week.  

I miss the LL in some ways because it was friendlier and there were less miserable b*****ds around showering abuse on their teams (and in the case of the legendary Sir Peter of Whitehill you sort of knew he'd been there and done that).
i was reading also that the Shire fans seem to enjoy the fact that they only play teams twice a season in the Lowland League. Forfar, for example, must be sick of the sight of us by now..  
On the other hand we're a Scottish Football League Club with all the kudos that is attached to it. And Spartans aren't.
I suppose we're still living the dream and it might take a few seasons (if we get that many) before cynicism kicks in and we join the rest of you miserable D3 b*****ds in heaping abuse on our team each week.  

This isn't really a thing to be fair. Clyde fans are just weird and Cowdenbeath fans are imploding and turning into seething messes after 3 straight 10th placed finishes in a row.

Hopefully we only have to play you once more for a long time but be interesting to see how you get on next few seasons.

With regard to the referee reading AWOL, there's no way I'm going to remember from the match reports, sorry. As I said, something tells me it was Davie Syme (possibly because he never seemed to give us anything in those days) but it's only a possibility. I'd forgotten the page existed until you posted it!

9 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

This isn't really a thing to be fair. Clyde fans are just weird and Cowdenbeath fans are imploding and turning into seething messes after 3 straight 10th placed finishes in a row.

Hopefully we only have to play you once more for a long time but be interesting to see how you get on next few seasons.

Your lovely cuddly tractor driving bridie shagging neighbours were mumping their gums the other week despite being 1-0 up at home against us and looking fairly comfortable at the time despite having missed a few sitters. 

That's why I took great pleasure when City gave them something to moan about! :lol:

9 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We were 9th last season.

Jardine went in pretty hard on our inability to defend set pieces in the Edinburg Evening News, I think a big factor in this is Ouzy See being out. For my money he's our best defensive headerer(?) a bit (a tiny little bit) like Drogba when he was at Chelsea*

*I'm not comparing Ouzy to one the greatest ever EPL strikers I'm just saying both were handy at the near post defending corners.

11 hours ago, GordonD said:

With regard to the referee reading AWOL, there's no way I'm going to remember from the match reports, sorry. As I said, something tells me it was Davie Syme (possibly because he never seemed to give us anything in those days) but it's only a possibility. I'd forgotten the page existed until you posted it!

So are you saying that the referees, in olden days, used to frequent the Golden Gates pub after a match at Meadowbank and share a few beers with the riff raff Brake Club? I'll wager Louis Thow never got an invite to the Trax Bar? (Going by Pastor Milne's AWOL contributions lol)

One other solution struck me today while on my way to Glasgow regards finding out which referees were in charge of those first two home games against Stirling Albion and Ayr United. The match reports say that Gordon Smith played for Stirling and Henry Templeton played for Ayr on those dates. All we have to do is contact those guys and ask them if they can remember the refs or if they still have the team sheets. Funnily enough I used to spot Gordon Smith going into the Blythswood Hotel in Glasgow on business when I went there a year or two back. A friend spotted him on the Glasgow subway last week but not close enough to talk to him.

Henry Templeton could be a tricky one to find. Is he still working on building sites? I see someone has fixed his Wikipedia page. It used to say: " he works on building sites stealing windows" - instead of sealing windows lol

Anyway, I'd like to know who the refs were in those first two matches just for the record. (Where's David Baxter when you need him? Was looking for him at the Oriam on Sunday but was AWOL )

Edited by Mr Blobby

22 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

So are you saying that the referees, in olden days, used to frequent the Golden Gates pub after a match at Meadowbank and share a few beers with the riff raff Brake Club? I'll wager Louis Thow never got an invite to the Trax Bar? (Going by Pastor Milne's AWOL contributions lol)

Absolutely not. This was a most unusual, probably unique event. Can you imagine a referee drinking alongside the supporters after an Old Firm game? The press would have a field day. It was probably only because we had such a tiny crowd that whoever it was felt comfortable in doing it.

On 20/03/2017 at 13:30, AllyMonc said:

Jardine went in pretty hard on our inability to defend set pieces in the Edinburg Evening News, I think a big factor in this is Ouzy See being out. For my money he's our best defensive headerer(?) a bit (a tiny little bit) like Drogba when he was at Chelsea*

*I'm not comparing Ouzy to one the greatest ever EPL strikers I'm just saying both were handy at the near post defending corners.

We've been terrible all season defending corners, to be honest. We've improved slightly since the first couple of months but so many goals come from City failing to clear the ball further than the edge of the box at best allowing the opposition to keep the pressure on.  

Just recently, there was the equaliser for Montrose (header from a corner in 89th), Berwick equaliser (failing to clear a corner)  and by reports from the Clyde game, at least one of their goals was to do with a corner.

I agree about Ouzy.  He is good at helping defence at set pieces.

Let's hope that the result v Clyde creates a positive reaction from the players and we can still get enough points to stay up.

51 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

REALLY COULD HAVE DONE WITH CLYDE NOT LOSING TO COWDEN TONIGHT.

Moves City up a place on goal difference though. Clyde were higher on more goals scored before tonight's Cowdenbeath 2-0 victory. Surprise result to many, I'd imagine, after Bully Wee fans singing their team's praises on Saturday night after the City game.