Edinburgh City

54 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

To be fair yous do have a history with artificial surfaces :D

History lesson.  "Stirling Albion were the first Scottish club to have a plastic pitch - it was in place at their old Annfield ground between 1987 and 1992. The first match was a 1-1 draw against Ayr United in September 1987.  George Peebles took charge of the team and would be the first Scottish manager to manage a team who played on Astroturf. One of the requirements of the new turf was that clubs could decide not to play on the surface in cup matches and so for the next 5 years all of Stirling Albion's home cup games were played away. With the supposed advantage of the artificial pitch not working, St Johnstone defeated the Binos by six goals on the artificial surface, Peebles was relieved of his duties and Jim Fleeting was appointed". So there you go. Maybe the reason why Stirling Albion didn't go for the astroturf in the new ground at Forthbank was that 6-0 cuffing by St Johnstone all those years ago. 

46 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

History lesson.  "Stirling Albion were the first Scottish club to have a plastic pitch - it was in place at their old Annfield ground between 1987 and 1992. The first match was a 1-1 draw against Ayr United in September 1987.  George Peebles took charge of the team and would be the first Scottish manager to manage a team who played on Astroturf. One of the requirements of the new turf was that clubs could decide not to play on the surface in cup matches and so for the next 5 years all of Stirling Albion's home cup games were played away. With the supposed advantage of the artificial pitch not working, St Johnstone defeated the Binos by six goals on the artificial surface, Peebles was relieved of his duties and Jim Fleeting was appointed". So there you go. Maybe the reason why Stirling Albion didn't go for the astroturf in the new ground at Forthbank was that 6-0 cuffing by St Johnstone all those years ago. 

They actually managed  to pump us 3-0 at Shires Firs Park in a Scottish tie within them 5 years :(

Apologies to Historical Kits for using their images here but I was intrigued to discover that Edinburgh City had a pink top to their socks at one time. In 1938 to be precise and only for a few months. There was talk at the ground on Saturday, during the design survey for Abertay University, that a third kit for the Citizens was being considered (Hypothetically of course). I think pink socks with the yellow away top would go down really well with some sections of the City support.  Coincidentally, for reasons that no doubt we'll be told about later, Edinburgh City ran out in an all white strip in the game against Montrose. (Apart from the seat-belt across the shoulders and the black tops to the socks). Perhaps ditching the black shorts was just a trial, but most fans, I was told, didn't like the new look. 

Edinburgh City historical kits.jpg

7 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Stirling's last ever (official) game at Annfield on grass was against Meadowbank (also my first away game!) in May 1987. We lost 3-1 and Grant Tierney had a nasty collision with a goalpost but Thistle were promoted that day as other results were in our favour. In the first half the Thistle fans had the open terrace and there was a flurry of sleet (in May!). We swopped ends with the Binos to the covered terracing and it was sunny for the second half!

Annfield was also the venue for the first ever match played by Meadowbank reserves.in the Reserve League East. 

It was also the scene of a very wind affected New Year's Day game where Jim McQueen saved the same penalty three times. It kept having to be retaken as the wind blew the ball off the penalty spot. Game finished 0-0 unsurprisingly enough. 

annfield.thumb.jpg.ffc1d8bdeb0575855ac285820a404ae4.jpg

Autumn 2016: Annfield House in the background. I *think* that double yellow line is more or less the old halfway line of the Annfield Pitch. 

17 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Perhaps ditching the black shorts was just a trial, but most fans, I was told, didn't like the new look. 

Did they forget to pack their kit, and the ref made them play in their pants?

17 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Apologies to Historical Kits for using their images here but I was intrigued to discover that Edinburgh City had a pink top to their socks at one time. In 1938 to be precise and only for a few months. There was talk at the ground on Saturday, during the design survey for Abertay University, that a third kit for the Citizens was being considered (Hypothetically of course). I think pink socks with the yellow away top would go down really well with some sections of the City support.  Coincidentally, for reasons that no doubt we'll be told about later, Edinburgh City ran out in an all white strip in the game against Montrose. (Apart from the seat-belt across the shoulders and the black tops to the socks). Perhaps ditching the black shorts was just a trial, but most fans, I was told, didn't like the new look. 

Carrying on with a look to the past...rather than watching English FA Cup games on the TV I had a wee bit of fun on Photoshop yesterday, inspired by old football programmes, borrowed a wee image from the internet and came up with a 'retro' style cover for the next copy of 'The Citizen', with a mixure of the old and new! 

EDI v BER Retro Programme (reduced).jpg

Edited by Mocochinchi

I rather like that cover.

Years ago for reasons unknown we were required to state third kit colours (yes, third kit colours in the bloody East of Scotland League- can you believe it?!) and we registered blue shirts as our third colours (there were never any actual shirts!) but I doubt that's still the case. 

16 hours ago, Mocochinchi said:

Carrying on with a look to the past...rather than watching English FA Cup games on the TV I had a wee bit of fun on Photoshop yesterday, inspired by old football programmes, borrowed a wee image from the internet and came up with a 'retro' style cover for the next copy of 'The Citizen', with a mixure of the old and new! 

Great effort! Could make the City Fanzine next month. Bridgewater Town? 

Bridgewater Townf5b9a65fd9796cc7c22942eaebd879e8.jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby

On 2/20/2017 at 13:57, Mocochinchi said:

That cover looks quite smart.

Predictions for Saturday's game on Stirling's 'non-astoturf' pitch at Forthbank. High wind probability (after beans on toast for brunch at the local Morrisons Supermarket across the road), Snow chance of the game getting called off because of the weather,  Mr Blobby refused entry to the ground (on account of his offensive T-Shirt), Security eject Edinburgh City photographer from the away support end ('again', for failing to observe the 'No Riff Raff' sign), Josh Walker and Marc Laird to combine in some wonderful ball play that results in Lewis Allan scoring a hat-trick (dream phase). The Binos fans to sing a song for once ('Cheers up sleepy Jim, oh what can it mean, to an ex-Hearts and Falkirk manager... you know the song.)

Edited by Mr Blobby

After the shenanigans over Sutton United's reserve keeper I would like to make it quite quite clear that no City player would ever be put in a compromising position caught on film eating foodstuffs that do not form part of a balanced diet for athletes

dal10.thumb.jpg.6ea8459e5baf7ab73371e6e534d6862b.jpg

I'm glad to have cleared that up for any doubters.... 

On 25/02/2017 at 23:52, tamthebam said:

After the shenanigans over Sutton United's reserve keeper I would like to make it quite quite clear that no City player would ever be put in a compromising position caught on film eating foodstuffs that do not form part of a balanced diet for athletes

Reveal hidden contents

dal10.thumb.jpg.6ea8459e5baf7ab73371e6e534d6862b.jpg

I'm glad to have cleared that up for any doubters.... 

I wouldn't bet on it. :wub: Try shoving a Blobby biscuit in their face and holding them down with a half nelson. :lol:

Edited by Mr Blobby
... while Archbishop Colin Makarios whips out his telephoto lens and shoots off a couple of snaps. By the power of deduction, I'm guessing that's Mark 'Sparky' McConnell.