Edinburgh City

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

The steak pies taste great but you understand why they give you a plate with it once the gravy starts to flow:lol:

Totally agree. The Steak pies have been very runny at Meadowbank. I had the mince pie yesterday in contrast and it was an improvement on previous consumptions which oozed grease when bitten into. Our Macaroni pie taster, Jackie, arrived late (after half time whistle) and missed out, so can't comment on that one but they're usually quite good and not many League 2 grounds do a vegetarian option for fans .

The best for me so far has been a toss up between Annan's and East Fife's steak pies - both solid with meat and very little gravy. Arbroath's Steak pie (I missed out on the black pudding one) was good too but perhaps a little too dry. The other League 2 clubs' pies are still under review but have been average so far. I hear Ross County do a Haggis, Neeps & Tattie pie. Anyone else thinking of doing that in our League? That would be great for Rabbie Burns week.

2 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Totally agree. The Steak pies have been very runny at Meadowbank. I had the mince pie yesterday in contrast and it was an improvement on previous consumptions which oozed grease when bitten into. Our Macaroni pie taster, Jackie, arrived late (after half time whistle) and missed out, so can't comment on that one but they're usually quite good and not many League 2 grounds do a vegetarian option for fans .

The best for me so far has been a toss up between Annan's and East Fife's steak pies - both solid with meat and very little gravy. Arbroath's Steak pie (I missed out on the black pudding one) was good too but perhaps a little too dry. The other League 2 clubs' pies are still under review but have been average so far. I hear Ross County do a Haggis, Neeps & Tattie pie. Anyone else thinking of doing that in our League? That would be great for Rabbie Burns week.

The mince pie at Montrose yesterday tasted decent but had the usual Links Park failing on having a gallon of grease inside it. Luckily I avoided a near accident by diverting the grease onto the path:lol:

9 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

The mince pie at Montrose yesterday tasted decent but had the usual Links Park failing on having a gallon of grease inside it. Luckily I avoided a near accident by diverting the grease onto the path:lol:

Yes. We gave Montrose an average 7 for their mince pies. They didn't have steak or macaroni pies on offer but our eagle-eyed co-editor did notice a sign for soup. She said she would have tried that but I'd already bought her a pie. 

Go Tell The Spartans FC Page 4 and 9 Year One Issue Thirteen  (2).png

Edited by Mr Blobby
PS. I'm not inferring that Gary Jardine ate all the pies in that yellow cartoon. He just happened to be there I'm told.

5 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Yes. We gave Montrose an average 7 for their mince pies. They didn't have steak or macaroni pies on offer but our eagle-eyed co-editor did notice a sign for soup. She said she would have tried that but I'd already bought her a pie. 

Go Tell The Spartans FC Page 4 and 9 Year One Issue Thirteen  (2).png

Forgot to mention the soup I would have given that a 9 or 10 excellent. Just seen your wee cartoon better hope Gary dosn't read this or the fanzine:lol:

Edited by cowdenbeath

So, here's my tuppence worth reflection on the story so far in January.  Arbroath and Forfar done and dusted - Nil Points. Up next, Elgin City who only just lost 2-1 to Premier League Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC (That's a mouthful and they're probably still mad at Ferranti Thistle for getting the vote into the Scottish League ahead of them in 1974) Then it's a home game at Meadowbank with Clyde on 4 February. Followed by 3 more tricky games with Annan, Montrose and Stirling Albion (all clubs on the up and up). We really are living in a world of giants now. Still, wasn't it David who defeated Goliath? 

Go Tell The Spartans FC Back Page and Front Cover Year One Issue Fourteen (2).jpg

Edited by Mr Blobby
The Issue 14 image will self destruct next month to make way for the next fanzine . I've gone over my megabytes allocation on P & B and have to delete before I can add another image. By the way, Dunsmore just misses McKee in the Goolies with that throw in

24 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Forgot to mention the soup I would have given that a 9 or 10 excellent. Just seen your wee cartoon better hope Gary dosn't read this or the fanzine:lol:

If he does, I'll be telling him who told me who it was that spotted him in the Ainslie Park stand doing a recce with all those pies. :lol:

Edited by Mr Blobby

34 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

He wouldn't have got a pie they were sold out at half time:lol:

:lol: I was speaking to my local ice-scream man last night. He's going to park his van outside Ainslie Park on matchdays. Should be a winner with the fans. He's willing to negotiate my cut a cut for the 2 clubs.

Edited by Mr Blobby

Can't beat a good drop of soup on a cold day- In the Lowland League Gala Fairydean Rovers and EK do nice soup. The hottest pies were at Preston Ath and Edin Uni (also lovely home baking at Peffermill). Gretna 2008's pies were also good. 

Ah, you almost want to go back.... 

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Don't tempt Lady Fate, :shutup , we're on the slide already. All eyes on Josh Walker to drag us over the 11th place safety line :thumsup2 .

Nice photo shoot of Josh on Portobello Beach from The Daily Ranger Record by the way. Mr Blobby is tempted to do another re-enactment of Josh's poses there :whistle

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-aberdeen-star-josh-walker-9669014

18 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

Few quick thoughts on yesterday:

If we don't sign a goalscorer this month then I think we'll finish bottom.
Good to see Dean Cummings start and thought he played well.
Dunsmore was probably MoM.
That's the worst standard of officiating I've ever seen at this level.
The meat to gravy ratio in the steak pies was miles off.
I hope Ainslie Park is a bit warmer than Meadowbank.

Need a proven goalscorer

Agree about dunsmore. I also thought Ian McFarland had an excellent game. Hopefully Walker starts next week. Any news on Lairds injury anyone? 

As for the pies I think I'm gonna revert back to a traditional. The steak pie gravy stained my city scarf a few weeks back and was hard to get out in the wash and I'd be mortified if it attacked any more of my clothing. 

If we do go to Ainslie I'm looking forward to it . We can get a few stood together by the pitch or behind a goal. Already got the pre match pub sorted as well. Whether it's league 2 or lowland league I'll be there no matter what. Unfortunately I think our support we've built up will be crucified if we go back down 

17 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Can't beat a good drop of soup on a cold day- In the Lowland League Gala Fairydean Rovers and EK do nice soup. The hottest pies were at Preston Ath and Edin Uni (also lovely home baking at Peffermill). Gretna 2008's pies were also good. 

Now were taking that would get an 11 out of 10:lol: 

Ainslie Park is one of the options that the current board are looking into due to the planned redevelopment of Meadowbank, nothing confirmed as yet but the ground that City uses need to be compliant for licencing purposes so it does reduce the availability in the Edinburgh area.  

Licensing standards was my point in asking the question . For as impressive as Ainslie Park certainly is, it falls short in a few crucial areas and may not be compliant at the moment. This then beggars the question of who pays for any improvements/ alterations and what would be the timescale ?
Apparently, so I am often told, when Annan gained it's senior status the level of scrutiny from the league was high and the infrastructure and ground works required for compliance ran to an incredible financial sum for a then league three side. I wish City well with this one .