Group H - It's Better Than Yours

TheGoon

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How did we look tonight? I'm 100 miles away at the minute so I wasn't there, unfortunately.

I thought we looked good tonight and well organised. I'm not convinced with the central defending combination. They seemed to lose a lot of headers against the opposing forwards.

I also quite liked Watson up front. He was a lot more mobile than Higgins and won a lot of throw ins further up the park. He was also unlucky not to score with a terrific attempt.

It's so much more enjoyable this season watching a game with width and guile.

I'm not sure whether the floodlights being switched on one by one is lower league romance or embarrassing. Certainly one of the more bizarre things I've seen at the football.

As was the sight of an opposition goalkeeper, who I don't think had been taunted at any point during the match, running 50 yards to celebrate a goal in front of the away supporters by doing a barmy song and dance routine. Surreal doesn't cover it.

Onto the football itself and I thought it was a fairly non-stop match; very little in the way of the long ball and lots of quick transitions. Lots of energy from both teams. The only thing lacking in the main was a bit of quality in the final third, particularly from Clyde. Albion Rovers probably had more clear chances over the 90 minutes; a couple of great stops by Gibson and a couple of woeful finishes meant they only netted one. That said, I didn't think they really controlled the game at any point whereas we were on top for most of the second half.

We played some great football throughout but the game changed entirely when Gormley came on as Watson/Higgins offered nothing bar a bit of running, ironically it came at a similar time to Albion bringing on a lanky big guy who was dreadful. We suddenly caused their two centre halves to look uncomfortable and the equalising goal was an absolute cracker; starting with Gibson patiently exchanging passes with Oliver/McNiff, a good pass into McLaughlin which set us clear and a terrific finish by McNeil. Penalty looked clear-cut to me and Easton will win us a few this season. 

The encouraging thing is how much threat we have all over the pitch; left, right and through the middle. As everyone knows, pace isn't easy to defend against. Ideally, we'd have a bit more height for set pieces. Scott McLaughlin was exceptional again tonight and just edges MotM ahead of Johnston/McNeil. So refreshing not having to rely on Linton which means he's taking a bit more a back seat. Clever player tactically though.

7 minutes ago, David W said:

I'm not sure whether the floodlights being switched on one by one is lower league romance or embarrassing. Certainly one of the more bizarre things I've seen at the football.

As was the sight of an opposition goalkeeper, who I don't think had been taunted at any point during the match, running 50 yards to celebrate a goal in front of the away supporters by doing a barmy song and dance routine. Surreal doesn't cover it.

Onto the football itself and I thought it was a fairly non-stop match; very little in the way of the long ball and lots of quick transitions. Lots of energy from both teams. The only thing lacking in the main was a bit of quality in the final third, particularly from Clyde. Albion Rovers probably had more clear chances over the 90 minutes; a couple of great stops by Gibson and a couple of woeful finishes meant they only netted one. That said, I didn't think they really controlled the game at any point whereas we were on top for most of the second half.

We played some great football throughout but the game changed entirely when Gormley came on as Watson/Higgins offered nothing bar a bit of running, ironically it came at a similar time to Albion bringing on a lanky big guy who was dreadful. We suddenly caused their two centre halves to look uncomfortable and the equalising goal was an absolute cracker; starting with Gibson patiently exchanging passes with Oliver/McNiff, a good pass into McLaughlin which set us clear and a terrific finish by McNeil. Penalty looked clear-cut to me and Easton will win us a few this season. 

The encouraging thing is how much threat we have all over the pitch; left, right and through the middle. As everyone knows, pace isn't easy to defend against. Ideally, we'd have a bit more height for set pieces. Scott McLaughlin was exceptional again tonight and just edges MotM ahead of Johnston/McNeil. So refreshing not having to rely on Linton which means he's taking a bit more a back seat. Clever player tactically though.

You are correct, i didn't hear any abuse towards the keeper that's why it was even more baffling as to why he did it! 

3 hours ago, The Naitch said:

A win on Saturday should see us through as one of the seeded group winners. Watch us f**k this up.

You won't. 

Having seen all the teams in the section 'Ton were the only one to give us the runaround.

Shows you how bad this group is when morton will win it,  Kilmarnock may aswell Park the relegation bus now 

Ah yes, late-summer in Scotland and the people engage in the traditional festivities of tipping Kilmarnock for relegation.

Every year we get this. Never fucking happens. Only a Darren Jackson guarantee would prove our iceberg.

36 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Ah yes, late-summer in Scotland and the people engage in the traditional festivities of tipping Kilmarnock for relegation.

Every year we get this. Never fucking happens. Only a Darren Jackson guarantee would prove our iceberg.

Why break from tradition :P when the group was first drawn I thought killie would have won it easily with morton second but it seems a few teams are using it for getting players ready for the league rather than taking it as a competitive tournament.

Why break from tradition [emoji14] when the group was first drawn I thought killie would have won it easily with morton second but it seems a few teams are using it for getting players ready for the league rather than taking it as a competitive tournament.

I'm clinging to the possibility that this might be the case. I've only seen the Morton game and they were certainly very poor then - it's hard to adjust to taking on so many new additions and immediately start getting results of course - but I'd still have expected to win the games we have managed to a lot easier than we have.

Archived