Group D. Alloa, Cove, Montrose, Raith & County

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All 5 teams from different divisions which makes it better than playing somebody from the same division - again. Somebody will have to play Ross County away midweek - bet it's Mo. I can't see anybody making much money out of this group but it'll be meaningful pre-season prior to the league campaign for the diddies in this group at least. On balance it might be a useful group for Ross County and Raith Rovers too and both have a good chance of making it through unless they bugger it up.

My only real concern is what's the incentive for the lower league teams? For example Cove aren't realistically going to qualify, yet don't have the standard cup incentive of "maybe we'll get someone big in the next round".

My only real concern is what's the incentive for the lower league teams? For example Cove aren't realistically going to qualify, yet don't have the standard cup incentive of "maybe we'll get someone big in the next round".

They get someone big in this round!

Are you forgetting you're the League Cup holders?

it'll be meaningful pre-season prior to the league campaign

This. Should be beneficial all round.  Gives everyone competitive fixtures to sharpen-up before the season starts properly, gives the wee teams a couple of "big" teams to play against and gives the fans a couple of interesting away days they wouldn't have had otherwise.

Also allows the clubs to make a few more quid in gate receipts, hospitality etc than they would have done for friendlies.

I'd like County away to Montrose and Cove please - never been to either ground so would be good to tick them off the list.

Archived