Group E

Smurph

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first half at Firhill was arguably spoiled by the early goal and the nature of it since it made QP sit really deep.  With Lawless not in the mood, we created little from midfield at that stage of the game.  Later on we looked shapeless when we brought on Amoo, Azeez and Pogba and there were giant gaps all over the place. Not a classic.

That PA announcer at Firhill needs to come off the drugs. I hadn't a clue what he was wittering on about half the time. Even worse than the mumbling Hampden announcer. Well done to Thistle for the reduced admission prices. Are you listening Killie?

All in all a pleasant day out in Maryhill - QP had some spells of nice passing football but Thistle were always just that bit too strong and fast for us. I just wish we could have had more possession in midfield - this is where we miss Vinnie Berry who was our best ball winner last season. That Thistle defence is pretty bowfin' and it's a pity we didn't put them under more pressure.

Quite pleased with what I've seen of Queen's so far against Airdrie and Thistle. Two tough fixtures and we've competed well in both. The real thing starts next Saturday - we'll see how it goes from there.

Pretty rank game yesterday. The most "pre-season" of the four cup games we've played. Erskine and Gordon were the only ones to get pass marks from me. Glaringly obvious we need a big b*****d of a centre-half in the Seaborne mould. Lindsay isn't a first-choice centre-half yet and Devine looks like he's got a mistake in him. Great ball from Welsh for the first goal, but he then proceeded to try the exact same ball every time he had it on the edge of the 18 yard box. Osman should be back next week apparently and with Bannigan back soon-ish (maybe Fraser will appear at some point?) then we have a decent midfield pairing. 

QP played some decent stuff at times and should be fine in league 1 next season. Without sounding patronising, I wish them the best of luck. 

Fairly entertaining game at Firhill.  The first goal came just after QP had come close to scoring and whilst it was a good goal from a PT point of view, we were sleeping.  Ditto the second goal.  That said, Thistle were easily better than us although we had a couple of decent chances.

Interesting Thistle tactic of having two guys hugging the touchline; very retro, very 1960s.  Wonder if they'll do that in the league.  Wonder, also, if Pogba is actually a footballer rather than a huge guy who might cause problems simply because of his height and physical presence.  Looked a wee bit lost in the short time he was on.

Other than the two goals, I felt our defence coped well, and the midfield was a lot tighter and we moved the ball about well.  Wee McVey had his best display in a QP jersey, I reckon.  

Remaining optimistic for the season.

Archived