What Culture

Guest bernardblack

A lot of the WCPW wrestlers have been quite young or well known on the independents. Nothing to harm if they're bringing in Angle Etc. For a few shows, they've probably been able to get Angle so easy as he's wrestling for ICW in November.

What TNA Did was refuse to build around their young stars, but instead threw ridiculous contracts at wrestlers in their 50's in an attempt to rival WWE. And it's blown up in their face, I can't see WCPW doing it.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bernardblack
People slagged TNA for bringing in washed up stars but that's basically what they are doing

Nah that's nonsense.

The oldest wrestler they've brought in is Angle, who still has a few years left. Not like they are building the show around him like TNA did with Nash and Hogan etc

Plus, Angle is actually still quite good, doing one offs and generally this is a completely different thing altogether.

As for the commentary team, I'm not sure I can watch this without an option for no commentary, because I'm not listening to Alex Shane or Jim Cornette.

Guest bernardblack
Plus, Angle is actually still quite good, doing one offs and generally this is a completely different thing altogether.

As for the commentary team, I'm not sure I can watch this without an option for no commentary, because I'm not listening to Alex Shane or Jim Cornette.

I did think Cornette was an odd one. Surely he'll hate the "tumblers" on display??

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2016 at 11:49, JamieStevenson said:

What an absolute star Martin Kirby is. 

I finally caught up with Loaded from Monday, left out the Osprey/Kirby match as I assumed it'd just be a bit of a squash.  Totally surprised by how good the match was, and proves what Kirby can do when he's not just the comedy heel. 

8 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Ospreay vs Kirby had no chance of being a squash.

I'm only speaking as someone who has barely seen anything of either of them, completely new to the two going in.  Ospreay comes in as a "big deal", whereas Kirby so far has had the comedy jobber air about him.  

That might be blasphemy to people who know them better, but just how it appeared to someone new to it.  Pleasantly surprised by the match.

• 1 month later...
Have these guys started taking bumps?

Saw deal Rio take out blampied with his patented enziguri type kick

It looks like it. Jack the Jobber took one from Damo. Brave c**t.

11 hours ago, bernardblack said:

Have these guys started taking bumps?

Saw deal Rio take out blampied with his patented enziguri type kick

10 hours ago, mizfit said:

It looks like it. Jack the Jobber took one from Damo. Brave c**t.

Fair enough to the guys for doing it.  Blampied seems well up for anything.  And fair play to Jack for that Senton off Damo.  Was it just me or did Prince Ameen's servant (sorry, name escapes me at the moment) pull out of that big boot a little?  Would understand why, but he seemed to be aiming a lot higher before quickly moving down and hitting the chest.

Guest bernardblack

Fair enough to the guys for doing it.  Blampied seems well up for anything.  And fair play to Jack for that Senton off Damo.  Was it just me or did Prince Ameen's servant (sorry, name escapes me at the moment) pull out of that big boot a little?  Would understand why, but he seemed to be aiming a lot higher before quickly moving down and hitting the chest.

Yeah I noticed. Excellent snap from Blampied though.

Brave lads.

Is Alex Shane involved in this, because they have just started charging for content and the feedback has been terrible? I could be well off the mark, but it seems this guy would have a hand in this because he is a well known kiss of death for UK promotions trying to find his way to a few pennies. And no, I'm not being facetious when I say pennies. WCPW seems to have built goodwill and it is clearly in the ULTRA early stages of growing and establishing a name for itself. This shake up has turned a lot of people off already it would seem. I for one would like to support this, but I sure as f**k will not be supporting anything Alex Shane is involved in, the bloke is trash. 

1 hour ago, 1800Mitch said:

Is Alex Shane involved in this, because they have just started charging for content and the feedback has been terrible? I could be well off the mark, but it seems this guy would have a hand in this because he is a well known kiss of death for UK promotions trying to find his way to a few pennies. And no, I'm not being facetious when I say pennies. WCPW seems to have built goodwill and it is clearly in the ULTRA early stages of growing and establishing a name for itself. This shake up has turned a lot of people off already it would seem. I for one would like to support this, but I sure as f**k will not be supporting anything Alex Shane is involved in, the bloke is trash. 

Have to say, although the King Ross/Simon Miller commentary wasn't great, I was baffled to think that they believed the alternative was better.  The other guy (Bradshaw is it?) is alright, but Alex Shane is hamming it up worse than Lawler in the colour commentator role. And he's not particularly good at it.  And he's got an annoying voice.

As for the WhatCulture Extra stuff...I'm undecided.  I really like the channel, enjoy pretty much all of its output, but when put into perspective it seems like a bit of a rip-off.  You're getting a PPV, great, but have they said how many of these they're likely to run?  If it's one every month fair enough, but at the moment it seems to just be "you can watch Refuse to Lose, and we'll have some videos that the normal people won't get to see".  For roughly the same price you can get Netflix or Amazon Video, with the absolutely huge libraries they have.  For a bit more you get the WWE Network, which is a shining example of what niche markets should do with a streaming service.  I'm just not sure there's enough there yet to justify the amount they want.

Having said that, the backlash they're receiving is a bit unfair.  It doesn't seem to be the price that is annoying people, just the fact that they're having to pay at all.  Something like Patreon should have been the way forward, but I hope this is a success for their sake.

Archived