Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 loanees and Watson are the only dead certs to leave. Tommy has already shown he's willing to be ruthless when he released Paton, who was our third highest appearances maker at the time of his release.

It could be that we offer the likes of Maclean reduced terms to stay in a similar fashion to what Millar and Mannus accepted and Scobbie turned down.

8 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Its easier to say who I would keep

2.Clark

8.Shaughnessy 

9.Anderson

10.Kerr

11.Gordon

12.Easton

13.Tanser

17.Davidson

21.Scougall

23.Kane

26.Hurst (G)

27.McMillan 

Easier said than done - loads of the players you've taken off the list are contracted for next season.

30 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Easier said than done - loads of the players you've taken off the list are contracted for next season.

Probably, yet I don't think many would argue that Shaggy's selection is the core of a decent side, only missing a couple of midfielders. It's also an illustration of how bloated we've become. Having a further 16 first-team squad players on our books is way too many for a club our size. Scratch that: it's way too many for a club of any size. It's one of the reasons why we can't match other clubs for wages and offers little scope for youth to come through.

Edited by Mr Heliums

2 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Probably, yet I don't think many would argue that Shaggy's selection is the core of a decent side, only missing a couple of midfielders. It's also an illustration of how bloated we've become. Having a further 16 first-team squad players on our books is way too many for a club our size. Scratch that: it's way too many for a club of any size. It's one of the reasons why we can't match other clubs for wages and offers little scope for youth to come through and it's

I don't disagree with the theory, but releasing 16 players and keeping Greg Hurst as one of your 12 remaining seems a bit short sighted to me.

GKs Mannus/Hurst/new goalkeeper, Clark

Defence: Comrie, Foster, Kerr, Gordon, Anderson Shaughnessy, Easton, Tanser/New LB

Midfield: Wotherspoon, Alston/New winger, Davidson, McClean, Craig, Scougall, New CM (maybe 2?),  New winger

Strikers: Kane, McMillan, Maclean/new striker, new striker.

that's a first team squad of 22/23. If that's roughly how it goes, we've cleaned out a decent number of players and brought in up to 8 new ones depending on who Tommy releases. This season has been disappointing but it looks like we'll survive with a bit to spare which, historically, is above our natural level. 

We may see one or two contracted players leave at most but certainly not on the scale suggested by Shaggy above. Lets face it as well - Tommy will most likely be told he's able to bring in 3 or 4 players, so will push for more of the old guard's contracts to be renewed than some in our support seem to be expecting.

4 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

“Hi Tommy it’s Gowser. See that contract offer you made me, you can shove it right up yer arse ye fuckin bellend. Nae c**t leaves Dundee for pishy wee Saintees. Don’t call back.”

oh dear, that'll be Gowser reported now.

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

I know you liked a post dripping with homophobia. So you're either a homophobe or playing one online. Either way, it's not pretty.

Anything that pisses off you bunch of diddy men gets a green dot from me.

Dundee fans gloating about keeping a 31yo midfielder who's played a major part in them failing to achieve anything over the past few years, a real high point for their club. 

24 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

“Hi Tommy it’s Gowser. See that contract offer you made me, you can shove it right up yer arse ye fuckin bellend. Nae c**t leaves Dundee for pishy wee Saintees. Don’t call back.”

17/05/14 WILLIAM HILL SCOTTISH CUP FINAL DUNDEE UTD v ST JOHNSTONE CELTIC PARK - GLASGOW St Johnstone's Brian Easton celebrates with the William Hill Scottish Cup trophy

✔ Beau

Dundee fans gloating about keeping a 31yo midfielder who's played a major part in them failing to achieve anything over the past few years, a real high point for their club. 

Bit awkward after your manager made it publicly known he was interested in him. Another blow for the grass.

[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

If I could be arsed I would scroll through the numerous previous pages where you and numerous others are excited about the prospect of signing him after watching him ragdoll you lot at new year.

33 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

dundee-billy-dodds-sm.jpg

brian-easton-sm.jpg

Dundee FC's best moments in the last 40 years;

1) relegating Dundee United

2) St Johnstone winning the Scottish Cup final against Dundee United

3) Deeagles

4) Finishing 5th ( :lol: ) in the top flight and nearly dying in the process

5) Paul McGowan (a player that half the support seemed happy to chase out the door just yesterday) signing a new contract when another, smaller club showed an interest.

What a time to be a dee, eh? :lol: 

Edited by Kyle

33 minutes ago, Kyle said:

5) Paul McGowan (a player that half the support seemed happy to chase out the door just yesterday) signing a new contract when another, smaller club showed an interest.

There will be a relegation release clause in it too, so we'll still get him in anyway.

Edited by Mr Heliums