Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Who?

https://g.co/kgs/BJhYNc - Callum Hendry.

The player a few months ago after he scored a hatrick in a under 20s game half the Saints support were demanding he should be instantly starting first team games. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

7 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

https://g.co/kgs/BJhYNc - Callum Hendry.

The player a few months ago after he scored a hatrick in a under 20s game half the Saints support were demanding he should be instantly starting first team games. 

I was being slightly sarcastic my friend, I know exactly who he is.

Seems like Perthsaint was right and there's no new signings imminent. 

1 hour ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Jonathan franks!! Jesus Christ 

Please tell me this is a lazy journalist somewhere has figured hartlepool want watson and franks played in scotland so a potential swap? i think craig thomson was pish but i would rather him than franks

15 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

Please tell me this is a lazy journalist somewhere has figured hartlepool want watson and franks played in scotland so a potential swap? i think craig thomson was pish but i would rather him than franks

He's on trial.

Some Saints fans referring to TW as things like "Arrogant buffoon" etc on twitter. What's wrong with some of our fans. Do fans want rid of TW or something? Do they actually think we'd be better off without him? Very naive!!

Some of our fans need to realise our club is not the attraction to players they seem to think it is. The reality is money talks and we dont have it to pay.  

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

We've had a really strange window. Not much you can do about O'Halloran leaving, but that's a scenario we had at least a month to prepare for - Murty talked in the press about wanting to bring the loanees back in to compete. To get to the end of January and to be still warbling away about 'irons in the fire' doesn't seem good enough to me.

Beyond that, we've brought back in our own loanees (5 at last count - 2 youngsters and 3  first team players), got rid of 3 players who either needed the fresh start (Cummins) or were deadwood (Thomson and Gilchrist. We obviously got one signing that we really needed in McMillan.

On balance it's probably been an ok window. If we'd brought in a form striker from the championship and a young defender with potential from outside the club we'd be happy enough with them and Watson is a useful option when he's fit (although I fear Tommy's pride may restrict his minutes more than Watson's actual ability).

We really need at least one winger though and he has to be better than Jonathan Franks. We turned Dayton away - a player with a better record in Scotland - so I'd hope we would apply the same principle here.

If we don't, we could very easily get dragged into the play-off picture and more or less all the clubs below us (County aside)  have more momentum than us.

Edited by Kyle

Bit of devil's advocate here but even with five players out tomorrow, we will still have first team squad members not in the matchday squad. The £200 per week for guys like Hurst and McClean still all adds up if you can't get them out on loan.

I can be as critical of Steve Brown as the next person but he's said the wage bill is 30% to 40% up on when we won the Scottish Cup (acknowledging that was well down from a few years before) but the squad has a number of players the manager wouldn't want to use on a regular basis and that's with him shipping two of them out already.

It'd maybe be easier to loosen the purse strings if it wasn't going to bloat the number of over 20s at the club to nearly 30 players.

Also agree with @Kyle and it's sticking to the devil's advocate role that if we'd signed McMillan, Kane, Kerr and Watson in the window, it wouldn't be getting looked at too negatively.

Looks like Swanson is available for loan, but is keen to remain at Hibs.

Lennon has said this at his press conference today;

'We brought him in to come and play. He has not contributed anywhere near enough due to unforeseen circumstances, but he wants to make his mark here. There is an opportunity for him to go and play elsewhere and that’s down to Danny and we won’t force it.'

Edited by Kyle

20 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Looks like Swanson is available for loan, but is keen to remain at Hibs.

Lennon has said this at his press conference today;

'We brought him in to come and play. He has not contributed anywhere near enough due to unforeseen circumstances, but he wants to make his mark here. There is an opportunity for him to go and play elsewhere and that’s down to Danny and we won’t force it.'

I read that as we've been in touch and it's up to Danny if he's happy being a bit part player at Hibs, with a view to breaking into the team,he should stay. If not, he can come to us. Surely in that position he has to prove his worth at Hibs?

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I read that as we've been in touch and it's up to Danny if he's happy being a bit part player at Hibs, with a view to breaking into the team,he should stay. If not, he can come to us. Surely in that position he has to prove his worth at Hibs?

It seems like it's up to Swanson either way. He does explicitly say that he is keen to make his mark with Hibs though, so I doubt he'll be up for a move 6 months after joining the club. 

It might open the door up for him to come to us (or whoever else may be in for him) on loan with a view to pushing into the Hibs team next year.