Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

How generally accepted is it that callum Davidson would take over if Tommy left? something about him doesn't fill me with confidence

The last 2 assistant managers to take charge of the first team, have delivered 2 trophies.

15 hours ago, steviemay17 said:

How generally accepted is it that callum Davidson would take over if Tommy left? something about him doesn't fill me with confidence

Laughs too much. Clearly not enough gravitas for such an important role.

It's extraordinary for a club of our size that it's 12 years and counting since we've sacked a manager. I can't think of another football club with that record in Scotland.

Says a lot for our recruitment – or our luck.

I'm not sure on my feelings on Davidson as manager but I think any comparison to Connolly is off the mark. That had disaster written all over it from the start and unsurprisingly all the fans that were calling for his appointment seem unwilling to own up to it now.

Not only did he come without any of his backroom staff but his transfer policy at Palmerston was never going to be feasible in Perth, not least because of the introduction of transfer windows. In his first two seasons at Queen of the South, I'm sure he used in excess of 80 players, regularly bringing guys in from the north of England then discarding them after a few games. Geoff Brown hasn't made many poor decisions during his time as owner of Saints but that one must rank up there as possibly the worst. That's not said with hindsight, his transfer policy was there for everyone to find and the QoS fans warned that his backroom staff were vital.

I was far more sensible at the time, I touted Allan Preston I think...

Comparisons to Connolly are bizarre. No-one knows what Davidson would be like as a manager, though the board will have a better idea than most. It was their knowledge of Tommy's relationship with the players that justified his appointment.

Over the last 60 years we've hardly ever promoted from within, so it's hardly certain we'd take that route anyway. Our own history is no indication of whether it would be successful. Sometimes it works (McInnes, Wright); sometimes it doesn't (McLelland, Gibson).

Ex-players are a universally bad idea (evidence for the prosecution: Connolly and Rennie). Managers with a decent record poached from other teams are historically almost as bad (Alex Totten a rare example of success in a desperate field that contains Connolly, Clark, Storrie and Jacky Stewart).

If we could rely on history as a guide to future performance I'd go for a recently-retired player, most likely to be coaching at another club: Brown, Ormond, Sturrock, Coyle and Lomas have been our only managers in the last 60 years to have come directly from that environment. Every one a success.

Edited by Mr Heliums

Yogi will be looking for a job soon...

Sort of manager that saints wouldn't touch with a barge pole. See also, MacNamara, Paatelinen, Calderwood, etc.

Who knows if the next person we get will "have" it, but it'll be someone young, probably reasonably untested and not the usual names thrown about by the media every time a job comes up in Scotland.

Sort of manager that saints wouldn't touch with a barge pole. See also, MacNamara, Paatelinen, Calderwood, etc.

Who knows if the next person we get will "have" it, but it'll be someone young, probably reasonably untested and not the usual names thrown about by the media every time a job comes up in Scotland.

Billy Dodds?