Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Well it's technically the correct answer. We paid Motherwell a fee to get Sutton in before the European ties.

You are going to need to show me the evidence for this I'm afraid. The Alashkert game was on Thursday 2 July. When did his contract end? We saw with Tanser last season you can register one player in the 24 hours before the match.

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

You are going to need to show me the evidence for this I'm afraid. The Alashkert game was on Thursday 2 July. When did his contract end? We saw with Tanser last season you can register one player in the 24 hours before the match.

There are BBC reports that support RG here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33141678 and here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33169125

Genuinely had no idea. I always just assumed he moved under freedom of contract.

Edited by capt_oats

Just to clarify, we're seriously claiming that Motherwell, a perfectly reasonable football club with good people, demanded a fee to release John Sutton from a contract that ended in a few days time?

Have you guys been out in the sun too long today?

10 minutes ago, Radford said:

Just to clarify, we're seriously claiming that Motherwell, a perfectly reasonable football club with good people, demanded a fee to release John Sutton from a contract that ended in a few days time?

Have you guys been out in the sun too long today?

To be clear I'm not claiming cash money changed hands. Just that there was indeed a pre-contract agreement to let him move early. There's no mention of a fee undisclosed or otherwise in the news story we put out at the time. 

The only thing I've read having looked for some evidence is a Sky Sports article that suggests "negotiation" to release him early:

Sutton could move earlier if a release from his contract with Motherwell can be negotiated and Saints will be keen to get him in their squad as quickly as possible.

I thought we'd paid a little something for Sutton's early release but, if we did, it's basically a technicality compared to the real point. As far as we're aware Saints haven't gone out and paid an actual transfer fee since the Dave/Muzz £50k. It was either Geoff or Steve that said they'd never pay another fee and it looks like they've stuck to their word. No wonder. What have Dave and Muzz ever done for us? 

It could be argued that the way things have gone since those signings the policy's been been right but there will always be a bit of a 'what if?' feeling about the policy.

Fees we've paid this century?

• Dave Mackay/Murray Davidson (£50,000)
  • Danny Grainger (?)
  • Liam Craig (£25,000 plus £12,500)
  • Willie McLaren (?)
  • Martin Hardie (?)
  • Michael Moore (£35,000)
  • Sammy Youssouf (?)
  • Peter MacDonald (£125,000)
  • Paul Hartley (£200,000)
  • Tommy Lovenkrands (?)

Must be more than that?

Edited by Radford

Why do we need to pay a fee for anyone?  We've just had our most sustained amount of top 5 finishes as well as European adventures without paying anything, apart from that 50 grand obviously and even that was years before that success.

You trying to keep up some interest in the thread with this feeble shite Radford?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was released from his contract a few weeks early. 

As I say, it's barely noticeable, but im certain it was reported we gave Motherwell "compensation" to end his contract. 

Lies again. He signed a pre contract. 

If I recall correctly we paid small fees for George Hunter, Dylan Easton and Greg Hurst 
Liam Craig,via tribunal,JPMcbride?
  • Danny Grainger (?)
  • Tommy Lovenkrands (?)
Must be more than that?
Sammy Youssouf as well.

12 hours ago, Radford said:

• Danny Grainger (?)
  • Liam Craig (£25,000 plus £12,500)
  • Sammy Youssouf (?)
  • Tommy Lovenkrands (?)

Must be more than that?

Willie McLaren £45,000

I like how it just sounds as if we’re just getting Tanser to beef up, since he was a weak little thing. [emoji23] Bulk up or piss off!