Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, steviemay17 said:

that depends if they have got over craig thomson being released yet...

Screenshot_20180504-115054.thumb.png.e5b948a12f5a1c2473a222e7f160cda8.png

They still bring his release up anyway, so not sure they'll ever get over it. 

I'm generally loathe to slag fellow Saints fans without good reason but, having checked the Banter page out, there is certainly good reason. They must have about one brain cell between them. Unbelievable stuff.

Reply above could be referring to Cammy Thomson.

Been thinking about the younger players released yesterday and wonder if it's to do with the change of structure next season and the Development League being scrapped? I believe there is to be a new U18 League (which all the remaining development squad - born after 01/01/00 - will be eligible for) so Saints are maybe going to run with an U18 squad and then players will be assessed if they are good enough to step into the first team squad. Imagine some clubs may still run a development squad but financially that'll be beyond Saints you'd expect.

8 minutes ago, Radford said:

Reply above could be referring to Cammy Thomson.

Been thinking about the younger players released yesterday and wonder if it's to do with the change of structure next season and the Development League being scrapped? I believe there is to be a new U18 League (which all the remaining development squad - born after 01/01/00 - will be eligible for) so Saints are maybe going to run with an U18 squad and then players will be assessed if they are good enough to step into the first team squad. Imagine some clubs may still run a development squad but financially that'll be beyond Saints you'd expect.

Is there definitely a reserve league next season aswell?

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is there definitely a reserve league next season aswell?

I wouldn't say definitely as the whole thing seems to be in the background but believe the plan is reserves (with a minimum number of underage players) and then U18s. At the moment it's U20s then U17s. In Saints' case, the U17s are almost exclusively just pro-youth rather than full-time. That would obviously change with U18s.

We've got a pre-season friendly at home against Aberdeen on the 8th of July. I think that's 3 years in a row now too!

Edit: This appears to be doubling up as Millar's testimonial match. 2pm kick off and it's a Sunday.

Edited by Kyle

31 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We've got a pre-season friendly at home against Aberdeen on the 8th of July. I think that's 3 years in a row now too!

Edit: This appears to be doubling up as Millar's testimonial match. 2pm kick off and it's a Sunday.

That'll be absolutely shite. I'm fucking sick of Aberdeen.

Morton would've been a better game for the testimonial.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

That'll be absolutely shite. I'm fucking sick of Aberdeen.

Morton would've been a better game for the testimonial.

I don't disagree. I suppose their manager is the man who brought Millar to Saints though, they'll bring a decent support down (I'm sure they brought over 1000 for last year's pre-season friendly) and it'll give us and them a decent test before the European/league cup matches respectively.

I'd imagine the timing and opposition probably rules out a return of the legends that mad Dave Mackay's friendly so much fun unfortunately.

Yes it sounds more of a proper pre-season friendly with the 'Chris Millar testimonial' title rather than an outright testimonial match.  I imagine most Saints and Aberdeen fans are sick at the sight of each other.

Still, it was all explained a couple of seasons ago for Ando's testimonial against Hearts that other than a Scottish side you just wouldn't get a turnout to make it worthwhile for the player.  Look at sunderlands support at McD last summer as an example, and that is probably as big a team as we could hope for that early in pre-season.

I wonder if Celtic were considered?  I thought Millar played there as a youngster, and they'd obviously bring a support through. The other option would be Dundee United simply as a change from the teams we see three or four times a season, though I don't expect their travelling support will be that great these days, especially for a friendly.

Celtic would likely swallow up the whole testimonial fund going by things I'm sure I remember reading in the past. Aberdeen will likely be doing it for nothing as it's a good pre-European test for them.

Dull as it comes but best opportunity for Millar to make some money from a match.

4 minutes ago, Radford said:

Celtic would likely swallow up the whole testimonial fund going by things I'm sure I remember reading in the past. Aberdeen will likely be doing it for nothing as it's a good pre-European test for them.

Dull as it comes but best opportunity for Millar to make some money from a match.

Would Celtic charge for that? That's pretty poor if so, though I suppose it's hardly surprising.

I'm kind of gutted the only photo I took today was of the seagull splattered "seats".

Heres my favourite Macca memory though, that time he kicked f**k out a linesman and got away with it..

skysports-partick-thistle-st-johnstone-s