Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

See everytime I mewl about something, can folk not wait 24 hours to do the complete opposite and make me look like a fanny? 

Hamilton would do me. Capable at this level, to the point you'd be fine with him stepping in here and there. Would resolve the keeper issue early and allow focus elsewhere. 

Would it be a loan deal? 

I think Williams is reasonably fast as you see in foot races against defenders, but he doesn't seem to use that pace very well.  I was expecting an explosive winger but I'd say he's closer to Swanson - good technically, tricky, but doesn't seem to have the acceleration on the ball to leave defenders for dead.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Interesting to read we'll be seeing "progress on contract extensions over the next couple of days", seems like every three days we get told that there'll be "movement in the coming week" or "deals are close" before absolutely nothing happens.

Gets pretty boring.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not criticising the club, although TWs constant "we're close to signing *insert player here*" for three months before the agree a deal elsewhere is equally tedious.

I know its a complicated affair contracts and I understand its never going to be 100% accurate, but its this that gets fans on the clubs back. Its been at least a week since there was mention of two pre-contracts being "very close" and in the past week talk of seven player signing new deals. And yet after that its just complete radio silence until we're all told it'll be happening in the next week, again.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I know, I'm not criticising him, as without that account we'd literally know nothing. It was just an observation that its getting pretty tedious to never actually hear about any concrete progress

Have you ever thought of getting some interests away from football Bawb?  Try doing something different - rock climbing, deep sea fishing, fitting handbrakes to canoes?  

1 minute ago, The Marly said:

Have you ever thought of getting some interests away from football Bawb?  Try doing something different - rock climbing, deep sea fishing, fitting handbrakes to canoes?  

You've followed me about like a rejected dog for about five years, please don't lecture me. 

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You've followed me about like a rejected dog for about five years, please don't lecture me. 

You have about 28000 posts on here.  I have less than 400.  Hardly following you around.  You're just a very easy target thicko.

46 minutes ago, The Marly said:

You have about 28000 posts on here.  I have less than 400.  Hardly following you around.  You're just a very easy target thicko.

Right. So you see me as a loner who has no life outside this website and reliant on Saints/forums for social interaction. 

And your plan when you see that is to anonymously target that person? 

Says a lot, tbh. 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Right. So you see me as a loner who has no life outside this website and reliant on Saints/forums for social interaction. 

And your plan when you see that is to anonymously target that person? 

Says a lot, tbh. 

sad sadness GIF

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Christ. Still two and a half months until the league cup campaign kicks off too.

I wouldn't worry about too many more conversations like this, tbh. 

I'm another who is not 100% convinced by our defence. It's by no means bad, and there's a lot worse in the division, but just a couple of years ago we were great at seeing out narrow victories/ draws which doesn't seem to be the case as much now.

It may be simply that we play far more open as a team or we're not as disciplined because I think all of that back 5 on Saturday are decent players, and there's not one you worry about seeing in the starting team.

Looking at the stats, we have managed 9 clean sheets in the league this season. That's 1 in 4 games. 

We have a better goals against record than all the teams below us, but it's poorer than all the teams above us. So it's roughly what you'd expect for our league position.

In terms of scoring, we are equal with Dundee as the second lowest scorers in the league, only Partick Thistle are poorer.

The Tommy Wright years:-

GOALS

FOR       AGAINST         CLEAN SHEETS

this season           34               50                                9

2016-17                50              46                                10

2015-16                58               55                                7

2014-15                34               34                               15

2013-14                48               42                              16

If we start next season with the same defence I'll be fine as long as we've brought in quality additions where they are really needed. A striker, holding midfielder and a wide player.

The back page of tomorrow’s courier has Anderson, Tanser, Davidson and Alston all ‘likely’ to sign new deals at Saints. If that comes to pass, it’s only really kids, Watson and Millar of the permanent players left to sort out. 

Also confirmation that we’ve ‘identified’ Jack Hamilton as a transfer target.

Good work from the club all round really. 

The back page of tomorrow’s courier has Anderson, Tanser, Davidson and Alston all ‘likely’ to sign new deals at Saints. If that comes to pass, it’s only really kids, Watson and Millar of the permanent players left to sort out. 
Also confirmation that we’ve ‘identified’ Jack Hamilton as a transfer target.
Good work from the club all round really. 

Well apart from Hamilton. He’s pish.

10 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Well apart from Hamilton. He’s pish.

He's not coming in as a guaranteed starter though - Clark is still at the club. He will provide much better competition than all the other out of contract options that are in our price range and is only 24.

Edited by Kyle

On 4/30/2018 at 11:44, PauloPerth said:

The Tommy Wright years:-

GOALS

FOR       AGAINST         CLEAN SHEETS

this season           34               50                                9

2016-17                50              46                                10

2015-16                58               55                                7

2014-15                34               34                               15

2013-14                48               42                              16

Interesting to look back and reflect on those years. Remembering the impact of Stevie May - scoring 20 league goals in 2013/14 - and the understandable concerns supporters had when he left. Quite an effort during the following seasons to consistently better the league position and points tally in spite of losing a prolific striker and not replacing his individual success rate. Steven MacLean's 14 in 2015/16 the best we've seen. To have scored more goals - without the presence of a figure like May - in two of those seasons is quite remarkable.

Just further underlines the immense job that the manager and players accomplished.