Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Murrays a below average top flight striker with above average work rate and pace, who's prone to purple patches. 

A decent third choice option for bottom half teams. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

There’s a good chance this has already been posted before and I’m not trawling to find out - but it’s a beautiful picture

IMG_2003.jpg.6197bfa3eced02e47ba0c53bd2b21108.jpg

You're a lucky man. Still a few days until you find out Mannus and MacLean are leaving. 

19 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

18 goals (3 in League cup) at United is hardly ‘meh’. Sure they’d be loving someone to come close to that this season. Top scorer in the Championship at the moment on 15 too. Stephen Dobbie.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Murrays a below average top flight striker with above average work rate and pace, who's prone to purple patches. 

A decent third choice option for bottom half teams. 

Exactly this. Most United fans weren't too upset to see him leave and most Hibs fans were horrified to see him come in.

If we look at league totals:

Sofien Moussa has 7 goals in 25 league games. (20 starts)

AJLS has 6 in 27 league games (Only 14 of which were starts.)

Simon Murray has 8 in 32 league games. (26 of which were starts and 22 were for Hibs a much more creative force than Dundee)

Marcus Haber has 2 in 11 games.

So like for like, Murray's record for Dundee is closest to Haber.

Haber has a goal every 284 minutes for Dundee this season.

Murray has a goal every 405 minutes for Dundee this season.

If you lot want to argue over him, I'm sure Dundee fans wouldn't mind if you went to Hibs and took him for next season.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Exactly this. Most United fans weren't too upset to see him leave and most Hibs fans were horrified to see him come in.

Simon Murray has 8 in 32 league games. (26 of which were starts and 22 were for Hibs a much more creative force than Dundee)

If you lot want to argue over him, I'm sure Dundee fans wouldn't mind if you went to Hibs and took him for next season.

I'd be gutted if we signed him. We've already got a "nuisance striker" who'll likely miss more than they score in Kane. We, like half the league, need someone who'll finish more than half their chances. 

Joint with Moussa Dembele and Louis Moult

Rooney, Griffiths, Sinclair have 1 more

Lafferty has 2 more

Schalk has 3 more

Windass 4 more

Morelos 5 more

Boyd way out infront

Not too shabby. That’s league totals.

Hibs fans were and then loved him after a few month.

Anyway. This is a St Johnstone thread. I’ll leave it at that.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd be gutted if we signed him. We've already got a "nuisance striker" who'll likely miss more than they score in Kane. We, like half the league, need someone who'll finish more than half their chances. 

Don't get me wrong, if we keep him, I won't be crying into my pillow either. He's much easier on the eye than AJLS is for example, who likes to go hiding when he's not scoring. To his credit, Murray never hides and always runs at defenders.

I think I've said this before, but I think AJLS would be perfect in a St Johnstone team.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Lafferty has 2 more

Schalk has 3 more

Windass 4 more

Morelos 5 more

Boyd way out infront

Hibs fans were and then all of them loved him after a few month.

I would have every single one of those strikers ahead of Murray. I don't see your point? Having watched him pretty much every week since January I can confidently say, he's not top flight quality. He'd be a decent squad striker, but nothing more.

I would have every single one of those strikers ahead of Murray. I don't see your point? Having watched him pretty much every week since January I can confidently say, he's not top flight quality. He'd be a decent squad striker, but nothing more.

So would I probably. They’re all very good strikers. He’s in good company.

And you’ve been saying that since the day he signed for United.

He’s clearly shown he is and will continue to play at this level, you’ve said in one sentence he’s not top flight quality and in the next one said he’d be a decent squad striker. All over the place.

If he’s not top flight quality why would he be a decent squad player in a top flight team? For what it’s worth I agree with that.

Starter for a lower Prem team, back up at anyone higher. Which is exactly what he’s doing just now.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Don't get me wrong, if we keep him, I won't be crying into my pillow either. He's much easier on the eye than AJLS is for example, who likes to go hiding when he's not scoring. To his credit, Murray never hides and always runs at defenders.

I think I've said this before, but I think AJLS would be perfect in a St Johnstone team.

Yeah Leitch-Smith is someone I've mentioned who seems a really obvious replacement for MacLean, but I don't see him enough to notice any weaknesses. 

I sort of hope we don't outright replace MacLean, we have Scougall, and potentially Williams, who thrive in the space between midfield and attack, for some reason MacLean has decided that's the area of the pitch he wants to spend all his time in so he just swamps them. I doubt we'll ever see the best of Scougall/Williams, if we can't give them space to operate. 

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

So would I probably. They’re all very good strikers. He’s in good company.

And you’ve been saying that since the day he signed for United.

He’s clearly shown he is and will continue to play at this level, you’ve said in one sentence he’s not top flight quality and in the next one said he’d be a decent squad striker. All over the place.

If he’s not top flight quality why would he be a decent squad player in a top flight team? For what it’s worth I agree with that.

Starter for a lower Prem team, back up at anyone higher. Which is exactly what he’s doing just now.

Calm down Simon.

A squad with our budget can't afford 4 genuine top quality strikers, hence how I said he'd be a decent squad player. Championship is quite clearly his level. Marcus Haber scoring the same amount in half the time tells you all you need to know really.

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Lafferty has 2 more

Schalk has 3 more

Windass 4 more

Morelos 5 more

Boyd way out infront

Hibs fans were and then loved him after a few month.

One more goal than Sofien Moussa and James Taverner. Things like this are pointless. 

Eye test on Murray suggests he'll never be a regular goalscorer at this level over a season. I know you love the c**t but it's a simple fact. A purple patch in a team creating fifteen chances a match shouldn't be used to try and prove his ability. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah Leitch-Smith is someone I've mentioned who seems a really obvious replacement for MacLean, but I don't see him enough to notice any weaknesses. 

I sort of hope we don't outright replace MacLean, we have Scougall, and potentially Williams, who thrive in the space between midfield and attack, for some reason MacLean has decided that's the area of the pitch he wants to spend all his time in so he just swamps them. I doubt we'll ever see the best of Scougall/Williams, if we can't give them space to operate. 

AJLS will never, ever be a lone target man. Think poor man's Paul Heffernan.

Calm down Simon.
A squad with our budget can't afford 4 genuine top quality strikers, hence how I said he'd be a decent squad player. Championship is quite clearly his level. Marcus Haber scoring the same amount in half the time tells you all you need to know really.

Except it doesn’t tell you anything. All it’s proved is that you’ve picked out facts to suit your argument.

Except it doesn’t tell you anything. All it’s proved is that you’ve picked out facts to suit your argument.

You mean, like you done? We're getting into tit for tat here and ruining the last page or so of St Johnstone related material, so we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think he's very good, you do, fair enough.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

AJLS will never, ever be a lone target man. Think poor man's Paul Heffernan.

Neithers MacLean, tbf. We don't really have anyone I'd be comfortable playing as a lone striker, with the knowledge McMillan has only played twenty minutes. 

We need someone capable of that. Curtis Main is proof you can find players of that quality if you're smart enough. 

One more goal than Sofien Moussa and James Taverner. Things like this are pointless. 
Eye test on Murray suggests he'll never be a regular goalscorer at this level over a season. I know you love the c**t but it's a simple fact. A purple patch in a team creating fifteen chances a match shouldn't be used to try and prove his ability. 

Take away Moussas penalties and what have you got? Also just shows how good a goal threat Tavernier is.

How can you say that after he’s only had one season in the league? I’d tend to agree, but I think he’s pretty unlucky not to have a few more goals and there’s hardly that many players who have scored more than him at the moment.

Only EIGHT players have scored more League goals out of how many players playing in the league? That’s not too bad.

Take away Moussas penalties and what have you got? Also just shows how good a goal threat Tavernier is.

How can you say that after he’s only had one season in the league? I’d tend to agree, but I think he’s pretty unlucky not to have a few more goals and there’s hardly that many players who have scored more than him at the moment.

Only EIGHT players have scored more League goals out of how many players playing in the league? That’s not too bad.

He's not unlucky. The chances he misses are ridiculous. 

This isn't his first season in the top flight either. His overall record is 15 goals in 53 matches. Averages out at about 6/7 goals over a season. 

The rate you'd be expecting of a back up striker. 

He's not unlucky. The chances he misses are ridiculous. 
This isn't his first season in the top flight either. His overall record is 15 goals in 53 matches. Averages out at about 6/7 goals over a season. 
The rate you'd be expecting of a back up striker. 

How are there only eight players who’ve got more goals then?

What kind of chances are all the other players missing?

His minutes to goal ratio the first season he was in the league was a goal every 145 minutes. He might’ve played a lot of games but he didn’t get much time on the park. For context Kris Boyd’s is currently a goal every 138 minutes.

Again I’m not saying he’s brilliant, back up striker is probably fair with starting games when he’s on form.