Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

29 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

This is true. He was getting more from United than what both killie and Dundee offered him. Also more than what he was earning as a plumber.

The rest is history

So he turned down the club he supports to sign for their hated rivals as they offered a more. There's a surprise. Like most footballers he'll go where the money is. I'm just grateful it's not us.

So he turned down the club he supports to sign for their hated rivals as they offered a more. There's a surprise. Like most footballers he'll go where the money is. I'm just grateful it's not us.

He came back to Hartley to see if we could match the wage offered by United. Hartley said, 'You're proven as a plumber, not as a football player' and took the deal off the table in typical Hartley fashion.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He came back to Hartley to see if we could match the wage offered by United. Hartley said, 'You're proven as a plumber, not as a football player' and took the deal off the table in typical Hartley fashion.

Sounds a decent move by Hartley! Would you keep Murray if you could sign him permanently?

Sounds a decent move by Hartley! Would you keep Murray if you could sign him permanently?

I don't rate Murray whatsoever. He's a nuisance to play against but he's not a football player. I'd hope we can do better for next season.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

I don't rate Murray whatsoever. He's a nuisance to play against but he's not a football player. I'd hope we can do better for next season.

That sounds a very good description of what I've seen anyway. 

I hope this is true.

Imagine the scene, smoke filled backroom of a Hulltoon pub. Murray and Hartley facing off before Hartley delivers that with immaculate composure. Murray leaves, turns up his collar and walks into the night.

You get offered say £700 a week somewhere and £1000 a week somewhere else. Where do you go? How rich are you that you could afford to turn that kind of money down every week?

Not sure he’ll be fussed now anyway, he’ll probably be on £1500-£2000.

Lennon isn’t definitely wanting shot of him either. Him and Stokes weren’t working, think there were some problems that Stokes was causing for a few of the Hibs players, which is why he was punted. Imagine he will be back at ER next season and used mainly off the bench.

Chris Millar in the papers wanting to earn a new deal. But 'hasn't heard anything' from the club.

A poor way to deal with any player. But treating one of our best players of the past decade like that – in his testimonial year – is shocking.

8 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Chris Millar in the papers wanting to earn a new deal. But 'hasn't heard anything' from the club.

A poor way to deal with any player. But treating one of our best players of the past decade like that – in his testimonial year – is shocking.

Unfortunately it was much the same last season. Folk will accuse him of playing the media with today's comments but the way he was dealt with last season was pretty poor.

It could still be that he's one of the players that the manager expects to "initiate" the clause in his contract.

I would keep him.

I don't see the logic in forcing him out when we're short of experience and central midfielders on next seasons squad. 

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't see the logic in forcing him out when we're short of experience and central midfielders on next seasons squad. 

There could be 2 reasons, Tommy hates the c**t and he's on a decent wedge.

I know Tommy has only praised him this season and HSF says Millars wage is equivalent to minimum pay but there has to be issues or it wouldn't have been handled the way it has been.

I'd keep him for 1 more season.

I don't think Millar's lack of an offer is particularly surprising given that he was told in August that he's free to find a new club. Wright was in the press talking about offers going out to players on Friday though, so you'd hope that he's going to have the conversation with him about whether or not he's being offered a deal soon.

I think contracts expire at the end of May - possibly a week or two into June - so still plenty of time to get the deal sorted before then. As Radford says, there's a very real chance he's one of the ones with a clause in his deal.

39 minutes ago, Kyle said:

As Radford says, there's a very real chance he's one of the ones with a clause in his deal.

If he's got a trigger clause, surely it would be automatic? He wouldn't need to go to the press and say he wants a new deal?

It's fair enough for Tommy to  let Millar go (and wouldn't be unsurprising either).  But it's inexcusable for the club, allegedly, not to speak to him and let him know. Any player deserves better than that.

8 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

If he's got a trigger clause, surely it would be automatic? He wouldn't need to go to the press and say he wants a new deal?

It's fair enough for Tommy to  let Millar go (and wouldn't be unsurprising either).  But it's inexcusable for the club, allegedly, not to speak to him and let him know. Any player deserves better than that.

Tade had a trigger clause and didn't extend so there must be some leeway on some clauses? 

Millars played 18 games this season according to Soccerbase, so a chance 20 is a trigger point? 

22 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

I suppose it depends on the trigger. Wright mentioned that there's a couple of players that he expects to 'initiate' triggers which suggests the players involved have the option whether they want to extend their contracts or not. I suppose those triggers will be on the same terms or agreed changes at the time the initial contracts were negotiated.

You get offered say £700 a week somewhere and £1000 a week somewhere else. Where do you go? How rich are you that you could afford to turn that kind of money down every week?

Not sure he’ll be fussed now anyway, he’ll probably be on £1500-£2000.

Lennon isn’t definitely wanting shot of him either. Him and Stokes weren’t working, think there were some problems that Stokes was causing for a few of the Hibs players, which is why he was punted. Imagine he will be back at ER next season and used mainly off the bench.

I have been told by someone close to Murray that he is on a shite basic at Hibs - less than £1000 a week. He was offered a new deal 6 weeks into the season but his head had been turned by interest from abroad so he turned it down. He’s not the brightest lad, as is well known. I’d be amazed if he’s still at Hibs next season.

He’s a real trier, has a wee bit of touch, not far off being a good SPFL Prem striker. I like the guy for his work rate but clearly you/we could do better but you could easily sign someone worse by the same token.