Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Noticed someone on Facebook banter page (yes, massive pinch of salt) claiming Millar has been told he can leave?

Hopefully not but suppose it's not inconceivable he could be this years Mackay/Wright.

Have to imagine we'd see more of Wotherspoon in the middle if Millar left. Otherwise we're left with three cloggers.

I'd be sad to see Millar leave, but it's only 12 months since we were all raging because he could only last thirty minutes per game. In terms of contribution to the team, he's probably been one of the worst over the past two seasons, purely due to injuries, so is the obvious candidate to move on of you're looking to free up wages. Seems a bit heartless, but you can't really carry folk purely for sentimental reasons.

Edit: see folk saying Millar hasn't actually been injured. Sure I now remember people saying he was forced out the squad to prevent an extension clause being triggered last year too. Seems a bit shite from the club, if it's all true, tbh.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

In terms of contribution to the team, he's probably been one of the worst over the past two seasons, purely due to injuries,

Depends on the measure really. I thought Paton didn't kick a ball until new year last year, and this season hasn't started that well for him.

Depends on the measure really. I thought Paton didn't kick a ball until new year last year, and this season hasn't started that well for him.

In terms of him being an unreliable squad member. Never seemed sure if he'd be fit to start, and even if he was you'd never be sure how long he'd last. Although it's probably actually been a full season since that was an issue, and I feel shite debating these things about a long term player when the full story isn't even known.

Has the Millar situation been developing for a while?

He's been a great player for us, and always comes across as really likeable and genuine, but loyalty works both ways. Let's not forget the summer that he publicly tried to engineer a move down under. He kept the club hanging on, knocked back a 2yr deal, and we eventually had to settle for a short extension when he finally changed his mind. It's easy to be loyal when you don't have any better offers on the table.

Having said that, I would love to see him stay. He improves the midfield when he's playing and adds the calmness and composure that we regularly lack in that area.

7 minutes ago, Stelling said:

Has the Millar situation been developing for a while?

He's been a great player for us, and always comes across as really likeable and genuine, but loyalty works both ways. Let's not forget the summer that he publicly tried to engineer a move down under. He kept the club hanging on, knocked back a 2yr deal, and we eventually had to settle for a short extension when he finally changed his mind. It's easy to be loyal when you don't have any better offers on the table.

Having said that, I would love to see him stay. He improves the midfield when he's playing and adds the calmness and composure that we regularly lack in that area.

I think you're being a bit harsh on him. Didn't he say the family were seriously contemplating emigrating but then didn't go through with it? I can't remember any mention of clubs in Australia and somewhere mention of a tiler rings a bell. Certainly don't think he tried engineering anything as he had no need to. I'm sure he would have got a club there no problem at all.

I think you're being a bit harsh on him. Didn't he say the family were seriously contemplating emigrating but then didn't go through with it? I can't remember any mention of clubs in Australia and somewhere mention of a tiler rings a bell. Certainly don't think he tried engineering anything as he had no need to. I'm sure he would have got a club there no problem at all.

He wanted to play in Australia and felt it would be a good long term move for his family, is what I can remember. Can't begrudge him considering it if he thought that's what would be best for his children, tbh. That's the only time he's come close to leaving in his time here

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He wanted to play in Australia and felt it would be a good long term move for his family, is what I can remember. Can't begrudge him considering it if he thought that's what would be best for his children, tbh. That's the only time he's come close to leaving in his time here

The couple of bits I can see just talk about him being in his late 20's and thinking about it for the lifestyle. No mention of playing or a tiling job, which I appreciate may be total crap anyway. Whatever,  I think he was quite right to give it serious consideration and never felt he was using Saints as a bargaining tool.

Personally i think saints have been more than loyal to chris as he has hardly played any football over the last two seasons. on the Aussie thing he kept the club hanging on for nearly two months, until he was given an ultimatum.

Players come and go good ones bad ones now is the time to bring in the young boy mclean and see what he can do. upwards and onwards coys

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We can't loan him..

Yes, but permanent I mean.

Watching sportscene last night and how they thought he might leave Aberdeen, and the fact that we've been after a striker who is 'the next level' from what we are used to....  I'm  adding 2+2 and getting 5 to be honest.

ETA: I accept he's probably way out of our price bracket, but he's definitely a Tommy Wright style of player.

Edited by PauloPerth