Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I'd agree with this. It is his first game back and understandable but I'd be playing Joe and Gordon until he's up to speed, then it's a case of playing his way in. Liam Gordon is the future, embrace it. Thought Macca was the best player on the park.

Yes. I'm wary of saying we should drop Anderson, as he's been incredible for us for years now, but it was the same with Mannus when Clark started to break through. The younger player should be given a fair crack to establish themselves, and if they fail to perform then the "trusted" player comes back in and they have a proper fight for the shirt, rather than Gordon/Gilchrist playing three game a season and being dropped as soon as the player they've replaced is fit.

3 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

Is there a general good feeling on the back of pre season (Europe asides)? I've only made it to the Trakai home game.

Yeah I'd say so. Results have been very encouraging and a lot of the young players have shown up very well too. To go 7 pre-season games and to only concede in one of them is quite an achievement, especially as the standard of opposition has been much higher than the usual tour of Angus. We've played some good passing football too, particularly last week against Sunderland. 

Doesn't necessarily mean we're going to get off to a flier, but certainly feeling a lot more positive than I was after the Trakai home match. 

I think he was poor on the ball, especially in comparison to Gordon,

Wasn't there but is this really surprising? It's hardly his forte usually.

It be amazed if the back 4 that starts at Killie isn't the one that finished last season assuming they are all fit. Part of me hopes Watson stays for cover as well. Wright seems to have a fair amount of confidence in the two young centre halves providing adequate cover in the middle.

Incredible how quickly the optimism can return.

Wasn't there but is this really surprising? It's hardly his forte usually.

Not really no, but he saw a lot of the ball today and it was pretty prominent. Felt like a few times he had plenty of time, but rushed the pass and ended up completely misplacing it allowing them to counter on us. Type of thing that'll be punished in the league.

Ricky Foster was equally culpable, he's lucky his throw in never seen us concede or Tommy would've went full BearJew on him.

3 minutes ago, Blue White Dynamite said:

In case any of you are interested, here are the goals from the Penicuik Athletic v St Johnstone Under 20s friendly from today.

Good stuff. Thanks

3 hours ago, Saigon Raider said:

Genuine question - what did Ando do wrong today? Won his physical battles against their big striker and the first half and was never really threatened at any point during the game.

Scougall's touch was the best today I have seen from him in the pre-season - will probably fade from some games but is a definite luxury we can afford.

I would sign Habron as well from what I have seen - got good pace and a decent touch, worth a go. If the alternative is Kane playing then I am all for it - he was hopeless in the 2nd half, still doesn't know how to play the line, late in the game he moved far too early and got caught when it should have been a clear run on goal.

Agree with all of this. Just shows it's all about opinions! I thought Ando was very competitive and for a first game back did fine. Our centre backs looked comfortable all game. In terms of his passing, I didn't think it was that much worse than usual.  Compared to Gordon, most of our centre backs are going to look pretty average on the ball.

Sometimes you see a trialist and know that the club have to try to sign them. It's rare but it happens. Momo Sylla and Rowan Vine spring immediately to mind. You weren't left with that feeling after watching Habran yesterday. If we had a squad to fill with several signings then he'd have a stronger case but the manager is on record as saying he's looking for starters that can make an impact.

All we've seen though is a brief cameo last week and an hour yesterday, TW has seen far more of him and will no doubt have been doing his due diligence as well. I think Saints are crying out for a player that will put the ball between himself and the opponent, then past them and I didn't really see that from Habran. I think that could be more of an issue than whether he's a good footballer or not.

Interested to hear what people are looking for in a trialist?  I can't remember the last time I watched any for us so not really sure.

I thought he fitted in well, and didn't look out of place. He looked lively up front and offered something different from our other options. He occupied defenders to the point where I felt Maclean was getting far more space to do his thing, and Macca was looking really good. As a team, I thought we were better in the first half yesterday when he was playing up front,  and I also thought we became more of a threat again in the second half v Sunderland when he and O'Reilly were introduced, as after HT up until that point it was more Sunderland on the ball.

He is two footed, can turn and can run with the ball. He constantly looks to get on the ball.

On the flip side, he doesn't challenge for headers and seems to prefer to drop off and look for the ball, rather than make runs in behind to stretch a defence. He also didn't seem to manage to get away from full backs a couple of times when he knocked it past and ran at them. That might be simply because he was up against a quick opponent though.

He obviously needs disciplined on what his role will be, but that can be done. 

If his demands are not unreasonable, and we don't have other options, then I hope we sign him.

Spoiler

Hes already done more in a St Johnstone shirt than Iwelumo, Fallon and Morgan

19 hours ago, tree house tam said:

You must've been one of the folk who clapped his every touch then. His cross was deflected to Macca, just saying.

Oh and what about Maccas brilliant ball for Romains turn and shot(which he skied)? That was precision and in the box.

It all depends on whether Tommy has viable options, if he does its a no from me. Just not convinced he's what we need.

Your right Tam and no I did not clap his every touch, the point I make about a quality ball is that it caused enough distress in their defence for a defender to attempt to cut it out he made a chunt of it and Macca had a clear head on goal, Not the usual cross into the box and into the keepers arms, he is worth a gamble though and surely a better gamble than Hendry for example although what I would imagine is the real decision cost, one will be looking for a substantial wage and one is probably playing for phuck all to get his career back on track.     

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Interested to hear what people are looking for in a trialist?  

Same as TW. Someone who is better than/different to what we have or someone who fills a role that we specifically need. It all depends on who TW has lined up, if he has realistic options along the lines of MOH and Chris Maguire I'd be waiting.  If they aren't realistic, then and only then I'd be considering the likes of Habran.

Just now, tree house tam said:

Same as TW. Someone who is better than/different to what we have or someone who fills a role that we specifically need. It all depends on who TW has lined up, if he has realistic options along the lines of MOH and Chris Maguire I'd be waiting.  If they aren't realistic, then and only then I'd be considering the likes of Habran.

Yes that's fair enough 

9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Chris Maguire signed for Bury last week

I think Maguire was someone considered if we couldn't get Scougall tbh. They take up a similar area on the pitch.

We badly need a striker, or winger, who can get in behind defences effectively. Habran didn't show that, but he did show other qualities that we need. If it's Habran + a player who can beat men then fine, I'd be delighted to sign him up, if it's Habran and nobody else, I'd be inclined to hold off and see who else pops up